Search results

1. thefsb

Construct absorption panel with rug and Owens Corning 700 boards

I need to add absorbers on a couple of walls in room where I use an LDC mic and, not simultaneously, a pair of 5" loudspeakers (Genelec 1029A). For example I could try to hide four 2' x 4' panels of 4" Ownens Corning 705 behind a decorative 4' x 8' rug like the one shown. Do y'all have...
  2. thefsb

Speakers with decent room EQ?

I use my desktop speakers with my electric guitar, routing the signal through the input monitor feature of the Motu M4. I'd like room EQ to be applied to that signal. I don't like the latency of routing the signal through the computer. Apart from the Genelec Smart Active monitors, what else...
  3. thefsb

Desktop stands for JBL 308P Mkii?

Do you know a suitable stand for these boxes? Or can you suggest how to DIY something simple? Height 419 mm (16.5") Width 254 mm (10") Depth 308 mm (12.1") Net Weight 8.1 kg (17.87 lbs) I'd like to lift them up a bit and maybe...
  4. thefsb

Katla -- excellent score

Katla is a TV show on Netflix. Worth it for the score alone, which is excellent. I've seen two eps so far and I enjoy the story so far. It moves along quite well.
  5. thefsb

Measure the frequency response of an acoustic guitar body?

I have two Yamaha guitars, an FG830 budget-priced dreadnought and an LJ56 top of the line jumbo. I am interested to measure the practically relevant differences in the frequency response of the two. I have a UMIK-1 and some experience with REW. I also have the DAW Reaper which can record and...
  6. thefsb

What can you tell me about condenser microphones?

I am in need of an education and the 50,000 mansplainers in the youtubes aren't helping much. To try to understand specs a bit better, I chose 3 budget condensers from one brand: sE Electronics. The differences that seem interesting but that I don't really understand are diaphragm size and...
  7. thefsb

What streamer for Amazon Music to Topping D50s?

The optical input for my D50s is occupied but the coax input is free, and the USB can be free too if the streamer will also play from my digital music collection (available from a MinimServer or SMB). Does an Echo Link do this? At present I have a Raspberry Pi and I can play Tidal (apparently...
  8. thefsb

Good portable BT boom boxes?

The recent Klipsch The Three review make me think, are there any portable, battery powered boomboxes with Bluetooth that count as good in ASR's terms?
  9. thefsb

Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

I've been trying to get up to date on the market for mics and audio interfaces and one thing I noticed is that the reviews of equipment on The Tubes of You are all presented by men. No matter what mic or interface I search for, I can scroll and scroll and it's just a parade of dudes. I know...
  10. thefsb

What's wrong with my Blu-ray Disc player?

We use a Sony BDP-S3500 to play Netflix DVDs. It is connected to a stereo amp and speakers thus Sony BDP-S3500 —{HDMI}—→ HDMI Switch/Extractor —{TOSLINK}—→ Topping D50s —{RCA cables}—→ Integrated amp (The extractor sends the selected HDMI to an Epson projector.) A week or two ago when we...
  11. thefsb

Sub for Genelec 1029A pair on a desktop

I spend a lot of time at my desk which looks like the pictures below. I've used a pair of Genelec 1029A for many years. They are good down to about 70 Hz with nothing below. Recently I've been playing and recording guitar, bass guitar and using software drums and guitar synth so I'd like to hear...
  12. thefsb

How to add sub(s) to my desktop system

I have a MOTU M4 connected with 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to old Genelec powered monitors. I'm now producing music involving, among other things, synths and bass guitar, and would like to have some sub bass. Hence I'm thinking of adding a sub. But how? If I were to get a sub like this 12"...
  13. thefsb

Non-in-ear earbuds, wireless

I want something for listening to audio books and podcasts when I'm on the go in the neighborhood, e.g. walking the dog. I dislike wearing anything that seals inside the ear canal. As I research products I am frustrated by the lack of information about the in-ear part. Most product marketing...
  14. thefsb

Phones for more comfortable music work. Suggestions?

The phones I'm currently using, cheap closed backs (ATH-M20x) are too hot and sweaty. And I don't need or want closed-back, I think I'd prefer to have some environmental sound for long sessions of practice, composition editing and tone-mongering. - cool-running - hours-long comfort -...
  15. thefsb

Galvanic corrosion in connector contacts

I recently learned that it may be a bad idea to plug, say, a gold plated 1/4" male TRS into an audio interface and leave it there since the female connector inside the interface is probably nickel plated rather than gold and the contact between the two will cause galvanic corrosion of the...
  16. thefsb

MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone alternatives?

MiniDSP UMIK-1 seems to be so popular here it's like a standard. But at $75 + $22 shipping, there are alternatives such as dbx, PreSonus, Nady, Behringer...
  17. thefsb

Share your in-room measurements?

Would it be useful to have a forum thread where we can gather people's in-room frequency response measurements and discuss them? Those who did something to improve their sound based on measurements might also describe what they did and show the results. I think this could be quite interesting...
  18. thefsb

Running-in speakers

Where did I read that? What in it makes sense, and how? Is it like running in a new car engine?
  19. thefsb

How do I switch to mono? Tidal+DAC+monitors

Sometimes I would prefer to switch to mono. How can I do it? Let's start with a simple system config: computer running Tidal desktop app ->USB-> audio interface (in my case it's MOTO M4) -> powered monitors.
  20. thefsb

USB ground loop?

I have a guitar multi-effects device with output connected to a MOTU M4 audio interface, which is connected to powered monitors and headphones. The M4 connects to my computer through a powered USB hub. The M4 does not have its own DC power supply but the FX device and USB hub each have their own...
Top Bottom