• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's wrong with my Blu-ray Disc player?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We use a Sony BDP-S3500 to play Netflix DVDs. It is connected to a stereo amp and speakers thus

Sony BDP-S3500 —{HDMI}—→ HDMI Switch/Extractor —{TOSLINK}—→ Topping D50s —{RCA cables}—→ Integrated amp

(The extractor sends the selected HDMI to an Epson projector.)

A week or two ago when we played our latest Netflix DVD and there was no sound. I checked the HDMI switch and double checked through all the BPD-S3500 settings. I played a Blu-ray Disc and that was fine, the audio works. So we sent the DVD back to Netflix. The next Netflix DVD also had no sound when I played it so most likely something has changed or broken in our home system. Can you think what?

Summary: video but no audio for two different Netflix DVDs and normal audio and video for the Blu-ray Disc played in the same machine.

Last edited:
OP
thefsb

thefsb

Should I buy a new Blu-Ray player just because of this?

SMc

Should I buy a new Blu-Ray player just because of this?
Check the dvd menu to be sure a compatible audio program is selected. Maybe the extractor can’t handle Dolby Digital or something.

I have a similar player. I’m pleased with its functionality for the low cost. Cheap enough to throw away? But hard to find a new one for the same price.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Check the dvd menu to be sure a compatible audio program is selected. Maybe the extractor can’t handle Dolby Digital or something.

I have a similar player. I’m pleased with its functionality for the low cost. Cheap enough to throw away? But hard to find a new one for the same price.
They player does the job very well. It seems so wasteful to throw it away.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you use the extractor? The player has digital outputs already. Also check the audio settings on the extractor: it might have a switch that needs to be set to LPCM. And finally in “audio settings” set “Digital Audio Output” to “PCM”

Top Bottom