• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phones for more comfortable music work. Suggestions?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The phones I'm currently using, cheap closed backs (ATH-M20x) are too hot and sweaty. And I don't need or want closed-back, I think I'd prefer to have some environmental sound for long sessions of practice, composition editing and tone-mongering.

- cool-running
- hours-long comfort
- non-fatiguing sound
- under $200, preferably well under

I'm driving it from a MOTU M4 which has a pretty good, powerful amp.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is the most popular under $200 open-back model on Sweetwater, fwiw.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 990's are pretty comfy. They've got a fair bit of smiley face EQ going on though whihc you may or may not like.

For something more neutral you can check out the Sennheisers in that price range.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The phones I'm currently using, cheap closed backs (ATH-M20x) are too hot and sweaty. And I don't need or want closed-back, I think I'd prefer to have some environmental sound for long sessions of practice, composition editing and tone-mongering.

- cool-running
- hours-long comfort
- non-fatiguing sound
- under $200, preferably well under

I'm driving it from a MOTU M4 which has a pretty good, powerful amp.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is the most popular under $200 open-back model on Sweetwater, fwiw.
This, or a HD600.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

AKG K612 Pro is reported to have good all-day comfort.

HD600 is $300, which is more than I want to spend. Saving up for a T guitar.

zermak

I own the AKG K712 Pro and I guess you can compare them with the K612 Pro considering that they are all the same look/have same mechanism and well I can't wear the K712 Pro this time of the year/summer for more than 30 minutes because it's too hot and it starts bothering me and so I use IEMs when the temperature rises.

Little note. Reading the measurements on RAA it looks like the K712 Pro are more neutral than the K612 Pro.

On rtings the DT990 Pro has a better score on breathability than the AKG K712Pro.

velasfloyd

I would go for an used senn hd-650... the good thing is that this is a super popular headphone, so it is easy to buy aftermarket pads and cables. I say this in case you dont like used pads, you can easily change them later.

Also, as it is popular, if you dont like the sound or comfort, you can easily sell them again and buy another stuff :)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My AKG K712 Pro's are very comfortable. Especially since I replaced the stock velour pads with some sheepskin ones from China (They also changed the frequency response in a positive way for me)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to also use them with your cellular telephone the Sennheiser HD 598SR comes with a extra detachable 3.5mm cable with a microphone built in too. The HD 598SR goes on sale for about $200.00 or less sometimes and at that price you will get a lot for your money. It might be worth searching about for a proper sale price. They retail in Canada for $299.95 and I paid $199.00 on sale for mine in Canada. USA pricing I'm not familiar with. They are one of the most comfortable headphones available and are a open vented design and not sweaty like some are.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

I own the AKG K712 Pro and I guess you can compare them with the K612 Pro considering that they are all the same look/have same mechanism and well I can't wear the K712 Pro this time of the year/summer for more than 30 minutes because it's too hot and it starts bothering me and so I use IEMs when the temperature rises.

Little note. Reading the measurements on RAA it looks like the K712 Pro are more neutral than the K612 Pro.

On rtings the DT990 Pro has a better score on breathability than the AKG K712Pro.

I'm interested to try IEM but I generally don't like the isolation they or well isolated closed HPs provide. Could be a pricey experiment.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

I would go for an used senn hd-650... the good thing is that this is a super popular headphone, so it is easy to buy aftermarket pads and cables. I say this in case you dont like used pads, you can easily change them later.

Also, as it is popular, if you dont like the sound or comfort, you can easily sell them again and buy another stuff :)
Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 6XX is $220. That's less than used HD 650 on eBay and much less than on Reverb. Is it the same thing?

zermak

I'm interested to try IEM but I generally don't like the isolation they or well isolated closed HPs provide. Could be a pricey experiment.
I am not an expert on headphones nor IEMs but mine were cheap (it's just a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro, 36euros if I remember; and yes the isolation is kinda weird if you are not used to it and I can't actully have a call with them, I should probably active the listen to mic option while using them and well they are not well suited for mixing becasue of the V-shaped sound signature I guess) considering the K712 Pro price.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

In the running for coolest on the ears are Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and Massdrop Sennheiser 6XX. Sweetwater and Drop both offer returns so maybe I should try them both.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the running for coolest on the ears are Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and Massdrop Sennheiser 6XX. Sweetwater and Drop both offer returns so maybe I should try them both.
The DT 990 Pro comes with a curly cable. That could be a pain in the backside dealing with it all the time.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Interesting phones and the price is right. But it looks like they are likely to be real ear warmers.

I personally haven't found that to be the case, but a fair point that they might not top the list on your requirement for cool running.

I'm sure solderdude will eventually jump in on this thread. He'll have some good advice for you.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

The DT 990 Pro comes with a curly cable. That could be a pain in the backside dealing with it all the time.
Yeah, I have to look at how long that is. Or just try it out. If it goes 1.5m with minimum tension it might be fine and maybe even be better than a 3m cable getting underfoot and in the chair castors.

Top Bottom