• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non-in-ear earbuds, wireless

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want something for listening to audio books and podcasts when I'm on the go in the neighborhood, e.g. walking the dog. I dislike wearing anything that seals inside the ear canal. As I research products I am frustrated by the lack of information about the in-ear part. Most product marketing doesn't say if the device is supposed to seal into the ear canal or sit outside it. Earbuds that do not fit into the ear canal but sit outside it (image below) used to be common but seem to have gone out of fashion.

Reqs
  • Not an in-ear design. Earbuds like shown below are ok. Small on-ear headphones are ok too.
  • Doesn't easily fall out (I sometimes run)
  • Bluetooth wireless (dog walking in the city is complicated enough)
  • No headband (I usually wear a hat). A band with some spring force that goes on the back of the head might work, but see next req
  • Can use only one leaving the other ear uncovered. A cable or band between two earphones may be ok e.g. leave one end dangle, let it rest below the ear, cut it off...
  • Mic: don't care
  • Preferably not highly visible (as shown below)
Something like Koss KSC35 might work. Apart from that I'm really struggling to identify devices that meet the reqs. Help?

Can you mash up a Koss Porta Pro Wireless with ear clips from KCS75 to get rid of the head band?

1593701364626.png

1593703368339.png

BigJim79

Why not get some VE Monks and a very small Bluetooth DAC? I use a Radsone ES100 clipped to my shirt when out and about? Fiio also do a couple of Small Bluetooth sources.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Why not get some VE Monks and a very small Bluetooth DAC? I use a Radsone ES100 clipped to my shirt when out and about? Fiio also do a couple of Small Bluetooth sources.
That type of earbud tends to fall out when I use them so I'll need a model with some kind of retention mechanism.

But a BT DAC would certainly provide lots more options, e.g. KCS75. I'll need good cable management but that's probably a DIY job I can do.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

dasdoing

Major Contributor
going with the list at the end of the link I posted, the only good not-in-ear earbuds are from Bose.
it's realy a bad choice, because it has the worse seal of the 4 types. getting good bass is dificult

dasdoing

Major Contributor
btw: I have a bone conducting headphone. I regret having bought it lol, but it's another option.
The only use for it I have when I want to hear music in the street and still be able to comunicate

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
btw: I have a bone conducting headphone. I regret having bought it lol, but it's another option.
The only use for it I have when I want to hear music in the street and still be able to comunicate

How are they for spoken word? Can you describe the sound? I've never tried them but I image they sound something like a low bandwidth telephone call.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
How are they for spoken word? Can you describe the sound? I've never tried them but I image they sound something like a low bandwidth telephone call.

they have 2 problems:
a) there is realy only good bass when you plug the ear with foam. it's kind of funny. I have normal earplugs, and I have earplugs with filters. the frequencies you block get louder.
b) frequencies are all over the place, depending on position. and the position changes with the movement of your mouth.

for word on the other side, I don't see a problem. if you hear a podcast, you will hear it nicely, while still hearing your suroundings. loud traffic makes them useless though, without plugs.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

I'm not interested in listening to music while I walk around outdoors. Either I listen to music, in which case it consumes my attention if it is good or it annoys me if it is bad, otherwise it is a confusing signal interfering with the rest of my life. I can't tune it out. For example, I am unable to concentrate on work or studies with music playing. Background music at social events is always difficult for me. It's never really background for me.

Speech is different. I can easily tune it out (and often do). And when I attend to it I can absorb the information while doing something else, so long as it don't demand my concentration.

So I'm less concerned about "Hi Fi" than about speech intelligibility while maintain sense of my environment's soundscape. Situational awareness, as Sterling Archer puts it, is important. Especially now as I attempt to navigate city sidewalks with minimum risk of contagion.

I can postpone listening to music until the circumstances are right.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I just tested a podcast on my bone conduction headphone (AfterShokz Trekz Air btw). I am sitting here on my couch and I can hear the guy very clearly, plus I can still easily speak to my girlfriend sitting beside me. I would never recomend those phones for music, but for podcast they seam ideal. if you go this way just don't expect a perfect phone. also as I said, in heavy traffic noise it wont work this nice without putting plugs into your ear

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
thefsb

thefsb

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Z's video is making me motion sick and he's taking his time getting to the point.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

EDIT- TOTAL FAILURE TO READ INSTRUCTIONS IN OP!!
Yeah, and they're going to fall out.

An ear clip like this might work but I'd like to find something wireless if I can. It's that much easier to grab with the dog leash and keys compared to getting rigged up so the cable can't snag on anything. And then the phone loses mobility. It's all doable. I know because I used a Sony Walkman Sports for years and in many adventures.

1593876618327.png

Top Bottom