• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone alternatives?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MiniDSP UMIK-1 seems to be so popular here it's like a standard. But at $75 + $22 shipping, there are alternatives such as dbx, PreSonus, Nady, Behringer.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ne-type_1358:measurement-test,fct_price:..100

Seems UMIK-1 may still be preferable. 1) It includes USB audio interface (convenient) and 2) It's individually calibrated whereas the others simply claim to be flat 20-20k.

Thoughts?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I bought mine a few months ago I thought the same, "what about alternatives?" But the UMIK-1 is so good and affordable and well supported all around that I though "why not?" and bought it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Any other mic will require a calibration file if you intend to do frequency response measurements. The calibration file will cost you as much as the UMIK. And that that’s after you’ve already bought the mic. So you’ve already spent more than the UMIK. Then you need an interface to use the mic with. Now you’re way beyond twice the price of the UMIK.

Still feeling adventurous? :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP UMIK-1 seems to be so popular here it's like a standard. But at $75 + $22 shipping, there are alternatives such as dbx, PreSonus, Nady, Behringer.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Stereo-Specialty/ci/15472/N/4291086009?filters=fct_microphone-type_1358:measurement-test,fct_price:..100

Seems UMIK-1 may still be preferable. 1) It includes USB audio interface (convenient) and 2) It's individually calibrated whereas the others simply claim to be flat 20-20k.

Thoughts?

If you invest in a Umik-1, consider getting a super-calibrated one from CSL. The extra bit of accuracy is imo very much worth it for the small uptick in price.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Interestingly, during the first couple of confinement weeks I bidded twice on different second hand UMIK-1 units. I was overbidded both times, and the final selling price was higher than 75$ + 22$.

That’s when I decided to just buy a new one. If I didn’t like it, I could always start a profitable second hand selling business! :)

(I did like it, BTW).

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The convenience of not needing a mic preamp and audio interface would make it worth it. Callibration might not be that important if you're just setting up subwoofers. I use an emm-6 because you can't really use a USB mic for speaker design, but I would get the umik for basic stuff. I feel like Dayton makes a USB mic as well.

dc655321

Major Contributor
you can't really use a USB mic for speaker design,

I'm reasonably sure: 1) yes, one can use a usb mic for "speaker design", and 2) we already had this discussion.
Happy to be corrected. Or not.

Reactions: 617

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm reasonably sure: 1) yes, one can use a usb mic for "speaker design", and 2) we already had this discussion.
Happy to be corrected. Or not.
We've definitely hashed it out and I think our conclusion was that they both technically work, but my preference is for a wired loopback, and you're smart enough to get the acoustic loopback thing to work.

I think the big takeaway is that if you want to design speakers the measurement is not easy and be prepared to think about it.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I'm glad to see that's unanimous.

If you invest in a Umik-1, consider getting a super-calibrated one from CSL. The extra bit of accuracy is imo very much worth it for the small uptick in price.

I like the look of that and it's not even $10 more. But like everyone else they have none. Their web page seems to imply that if you order one now to get in the queue, they take your money, don't know when the might send you one, but if you cancel the order before they do then they keep the money. Hm.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm glad to see that's unanimous.

I like the look of that and it's not even $10 more. But like everyone else they have none. Their web page seems to imply that if you order one now to get in the queue, they take your money, don't know when the might send you one, but if you cancel the order before they do then they keep the money. Hm.

Yeah, I had to wait a bit for mine. You could also order one separately and send it to them for calibration, I believe, but that's more of a hassle.

Top Bottom