• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been trying to get up to date on the market for mics and audio interfaces and one thing I noticed is that the reviews of equipment on The Tubes of You are all presented by men. No matter what mic or interface I search for, I can scroll and scroll and it's just a parade of dudes.

I know that there are plenty of expert female audio and recording engineers and producers. So why isn't there even one mic review by one of them on Youtube? If there were simply a statistical bias towards men then I could imagine lots of reasons but total exclusion seems only possible if The Guild of Youtube Audio Equipment Reviewers has it locked down.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect many women are far too sensible to put themselves on YouTube on a predominantly male subject and have a load of unpleasant comments based on their looks, their clothes, their hair, anything other than what they're saying. Until men stop being arseholes towards women, I can't see many women being willing to expose themselves to such unpleasant behaviour.
S

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the entire category of mixing and mastering is dominated by men. I only know of one female in that space.

In youtube, I have seen a couple of females doing youtube videos but it is rare. It is a shame as women can be superbly effective at it. Check out this youtuber:

Such a mastery of video production, knowledge, acting and natural talent. She has only done a handful of video and already climbed the charts. Sadly she doesn't seem to be doing more videos.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Probably due to the fact that a disappointing amount of men are complete douchbags when they are hiding behind a computer screen

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I know that there are plenty of expert female audio and recording engineers and producers.

You do? What amount is "plenty"? That has not been my experience at all in the industry.

Before YouTube, how many female writers/reviewers (compared to men) were in the space?

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Makes you wonder exactly why the Audio/Video space is mostly dominated by Men? Except for Singers and performers, you see precious few Women involved yet alone even interested in any thing more than earbuds. I have pretty large investment in Audio gear in my home. When we have company, the Women seem to not even notice! That’s just impossible as the gear is pretty dominant in the multipurpose Family Room.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have pretty large investment in Audio gear in my home. When we have company, the Women seem to not even notice!
Wow. This should have been a hard time for you...;)

Seriously: Did you invest in audio gears for listening to music or to show off? Sometimes, most of us do both (including myself), so I can't blame you on this.

The fact that you've been disappointed it didn't impress women, makes me wondering, tho...

AdamG

Forum Donor
Wow. This should have been a hard time for you...

Seriously? Did you invest in audio gears for listening to music or to show off? Sometimes, most of us do both (including myself), so I can't blame you on this.

The fact that you disappointed it didn't impress women, make me wondering, tho...
Exactly what is your point? It does not bother me they don’t notice. It was just an observation. You seem hostile for some reason, have I offended you in some way?

AdamG

Forum Donor

Seriously: Did you invest in audio gears for listening to music or to show off? Sometimes, most of us do both (including myself), so I can't blame you on this.

The fact that you've been disappointed it didn't impress women, makes me wondering, tho...
I see you post edited the original reply. Where did I say or even suggest I was disappointed? I didn’t. It was an personal observation that related to the conservation about the general lack of Women in the Audio space. You also post added the emoji. Had that been in your original reply I would have taken this as a jest.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You also post added the emoji. Had that been in your original reply I would have taken this as a jest.
Yep, sorry about that. Most of my posts here on ASR are typed with my phone, with the G Board autocorrect mixing French and English, that's why most are edited quite a few times, to correct typo and clarify what's exactly in my mind...
Screenshot_20210409-013144~2.png

Whatever...:facepalm:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, it worked with me.:cool: Got my wife playing Wagners Lohengrin overture on the hifi system.

OTOH my wife has no interest in audio equipment at all, it just has to integrate into her room (or better hide itsself), be easy to control and sound good. Current system is a Classé Sigma SSP (because it can switch HDMI sources, got it for €2k) feeding a pair of Genelec 8020a (fine for here, she's not a bass freak). Sounds very good with room EQ.

Loathecliff

I really wish more women would be into hifi in general!

On walking into my partner's lounge for the first time 25 years ago I spied a Garrard 301 :cool:
It's been bliss ever since.
I'm a very fortunate boy oldie.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

Yes. You caught them. The patriarchal cabal that is YouTube.

White dudes at that.

Top Bottom