• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

F1308

Major Contributor
The components prior to the amp have a noise floor. The higher the signal is from those devices (with fixed noise) the higher the SNR is. (obviously assuming the output is not clipping - which is not noise, but distortion).

Look at it another way. The lower the gain is on the amp (reduced volume) the less the noise on the input to the the amp will be amplified.
Why there is no volume then on AHB2 ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not my area of knowledge, as I don't own or use any passive speakers, but that's one impressive showing from such a small and reasonably priced solution!

pma

Major Contributor
driving the TPA32xx with custom optimized PFFB (optimized for extra low gain / higher feedback
Highly unlikely, TPA32XX has much higher distortion - check the datasheet and application notes. PFFB does not help much to this IC.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Highly unlikely, TPA32XX has much higher distortion - check the datasheet and application notes. PFFB does not help much to this IC.
Specially with the operating voltage, i would be very tempted to run a 3255 with a higher voltage.

xrk971

Audio Company
Why there is no volume then on AHB2 ?
There is an image perception that a serious “power amp” does not have volume control because one uses a preamp to drive it and the preamp provides the volume control function. In the case of the AHB2 the gain is quite low and typical use would indeed require a preamp to get the levels needed to hit clipping. We are used to overall amp gains of circa 26dB to 29dB. When amps are in the teens of dB gain, they will sound “soft” unless driven be a preamp with sufficient swing and added circa 6dB to 15dB of gain.

Lambda

Major Contributor
So what is it Gain at Max. and at what volume setting was it measured?
Also what is the output impedance vs frequency?

I don't like the design but it performs amazing.

Wonder how performance would change if measured in with bursts and not continuous sine signals.

F1308

Major Contributor
There is an image perception that a serious “power amp” does not have volume control because one uses a preamp to drive it and the preamp provides the volume control function. In the case of the AHB2 the gain is quite low and typical use would indeed require a preamp to get the levels needed to hit clipping. We are used to overall amp gains of circa 26dB to 29dB. When amps are in the teens of dB gain, they will sound “soft” unless driven be a preamp with sufficient swing and added circa 6dB to 15dB of gain.
Thank you.

F1308

Major Contributor
Any plan for bigger one
He already answered a question like yours with something like (@4 Ohms) "A 200W+ one is also going to happen not too far into the future."

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

xrk971

Audio Company
I was able to achieve 0.00074% THD on TPA3255 at 1W using standard factory recommendations for PFFB. I would imagine that with some more optimizations, one can achieve 0.000524% at 5W. The distortion vs frequency plot measured here is a fingerprint that matches the TPA32XX with PFFB. Look at Fig 70 in the PFFB white paper from TI. 0.0015% THD spec from Topping is consistent with this plot.
21F8D14F-0803-41B5-9ED6-D0FDED55F309.jpeg

Labjr

Major Contributor
Wow! Can't wait to see what's next. More power, multi channel.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom