• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Much to choose from, and as my music tastes veer wildly from acid to zydeco I'll start with Toehider. He's an amazing multi-instrumentalist with a fantastic voice. Find him on bandcamp.
This conversation is over
and "Dan vs. Egg"

dasdoing

Major Contributor

pagode is a complicated term. though Fundo de Quintal established the term first for their style (which intruduced new instruments) noone would call their music pagode nowadays. but pagode is a complicated term lol. There is a famous video of samba great Zeca Pagodinho failing to describe the diference between samba and pagode. it's just that when he was young "pagodinho" was not what pagode is nowadays. for the contemporary meaning I would define south-east pagode as fusion between samba and amercian 90ies R'n'B. here in the northeast it has a totaly diferent meaning again

Andretti60

A lot of Italian musicians are best to be known only in Italy :(. And some of them are sadly internationally too well known (Bocelli among them).
My favorite one is Paolo Conte, best described as a chansonnier in the best meaning of the term. Many musicians outside Italy fell in love with this song, I like this recording because it is live and quite recent, that shows how Conti was able to maintain his voice as time goes by. He is 84 and still active.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if Eva Dahlgren is very much known outside Sweden.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
very famous here, just died in an airplane acident. 26 years old. talented AF because she was not only interpretor, but also her songwriter.

Very sad

DanielT

Major Contributor
Mando Diao is a popular Swedish rock band that, among other things, made this song that went into the people's soul.

In September 2012, the band sang for the first time in Swedish on their interpretation of Gustaf Fröding's "Stroll in the homeland". In 2014, they sang again in English on the first new single "Black Saturday".

audio2design

Major Contributor
Since there are a lot of Canadians on here, this won't be a surprise to them:

Everyone knows Rush, but if you were in Canada, while you heard Moving Pictures 24/7, something else was on the radio big time:

Rough Trade:

Then the 80's got into full swing. It was surprising these bands didn't really break out outside Canada. Depending on the stations you listened to they got a lot of airplay. One benefit was the being able to see them multiple times in smaller venues <=1000 people. Best way to see a concert.

Spoons:

Strange Advance:

Grapes of Wrath:

The Box:
(Though you may know:
)

Last from that general era, Saga. Saga was even bigger in Germany than there home country, Canada, but not well known anywhere else:

orangejello

Another popular progressive Latin artist I was going to suggest is Juan Luis Guerra, who's work is also a mix of different Latin styles, most of which I believe come from his home of Dominican Republic.

"Vale la Pena" by Juan Luis Guerra

OMG! Awesome. Muchas Gracias.

orangejello

and a little brazilian fun fact. it was in Reconcavo Baiano region were the roots of the later Rio and São Paulo samba were set. this is the purest form of samba:
The only thing in the USA that has anything like that spirit is New Orleans. Love that place enjoy it while you can.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The only thing in the USA that has anything like that spirit is New Orleans. Love that place enjoy it while you can.

even though I live in the Reconcavo Baiano region, this is more countryside. I live in the capital; our culture here is a little difrent..even though unique in his own way.
thanks for watching

Top Bottom