• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

ADU

Major Contributor
Another one that left a strong impression on me was this track/video from a few years back by Hillary Scott (and the Scott Family) of Lady A...

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and a little brazilian fun fact. it was in Reconcavo Baiano region were the roots of the later Rio and São Paulo samba were set. this is the purest form of samba:

Just had a morning listening session in the kitchen through IKEA Eneby with Tim Maia. Had not heard him before. More Jazz rock type of music.

DanielT

Major Contributor
This was a really good thread. Fun, educational and inspiring. Very good music. My day is saved. Now I will be listen to the music I found in this thread today all day ...:D

Here's an old treat. From one of Sweden's most popular jazz records.. It is a mixture of traditional old Swedish folk music and jazz. The styles marry well, I think.The melancholy and the desolate feeling in the folk song and the blue tones in the jazz / blues.. The legend and in my eyes genius Jan Johansson. Unfortunately, he died far too young in a car accident. But this is still there:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Just had a morning listening session in the kitchen through IKEA Eneby with Tim Maia. Had not heard him before. More Jazz rock type of music.

Tim was heavily influenced by soul music he learned about when he went to the USA.
personaly I like his "rational phase" most, even though the lyrics are very hard to "tolerate" if you understand them cause he was in a cult and made music to spread the word. but what makes this period so special is that he and his musicians didn't do any drugs....and you can hear that.
when he found out his "guru" was not realy practicing what he preaches he went back full throttle on drugs lol. and he died from them, like so many

DanielT

Major Contributor
This was a really good thread. Fun, educational and inspiring. Very good music. My day is saved. Now I will be listen to the music I found in this thread today all day ...:D

Here's an old treat. From one of Sweden's most popular jazz records.. It is a mixture of traditional old Swedish folk music and jazz. The styles marry well, I think.The melancholy and the desolate feeling in the folk song and the blue tones in the jazz / blues.. The legend and in my eyes genius Jan Johansson. Unfortunately, he died far too young in a car accident. But this is still there:

I take the variant with Swedish lyrics. By the way, Monica Zetterlund was, in her time, a very well-known jazz singer in Sweden. She played with many great musicians, such as Bill Evans and Toots Thielemans.

Here's a cover of Walkin 'My Baby Back Home.

Here, on the contrary, cover of a Swedish song.

which became...

Which a number of decades later went over the sea. Back to Sweden and became:

.... around and around it goes ...:D

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
When I'm still on covers. Takes one from neighboring Finland. I was married to a Finnish woman so and has been a lot in Finland, so I am probably accepted with this tip by those from Finland who are on ASR.:) It is a very well known cover. Everyone, I really mean EVERYONE in Finland knows this and the artist. I post a video where the Finnish cover is mixed with the Italian original.

That's the beauty of music. Good music goes through all cultural barriers.:)

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a couple of CDs by Monica Zetterlund, and I thoroughly enjoy her singing. A few years ago, I also bought a CD off Amazon, which is part of the soundtrack to a biographical movie titled Monica Z. The actress/singer Edda Magnason plays the part of Monica, and also sings some of the songs that Monica was famous for singing. Edda Magnason covers them very well on the CD, with some tracks in Swedish and some in English. I particularly like the covers in Swedish of songs that I know in English, such as "God didn't make them Little Green Apples" which I recognize on the album only by its melody, since I don't know any Swedish and the listed titles are all in Japanese (the CD must have been a Japanese pressing). In general, I find quite appealing covers of songs in languages beyond the original language, such as the examples you listed, and I have come across quite a few such. I also have a CD album splendidly sung by Jessica Pilnas titled Norma Deloris Egstrom (Peggy Lee's birth name, I believe), wherein Jessica covers some songs that Peggy Lee was famous for singing, though here the songs are all sung in their English versions.

I take the variant with Swedish lyrics. By the way, Monica Zetterlund was, in her time, a very well-known jazz singer in Sweden. She played with many great musicians, such as Bill Evans and Toots Thielemans.

Here's a cover of Walkin 'My Baby Back Home.

Here, on the contrary, cover of a Swedish song.

which became...

Which a number of decades later went over the sea. Back to Sweden and became:

.... around and around it goes ...:D

Raindog123

Major Contributor
…”and now for something completely different”. I hope this performer is famous beyond his/our country, the US. As he’s my absolute favorite of all times. Yet, just in case:

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have a couple of CDs by Monica Zetterlund, and I thoroughly enjoy her singing. A few years ago, I also bought a CD off Amazon, which is part of the soundtrack to a biographical movie titled Monica Z. The actress/singer Edda Magnason plays the part of Monica, and also sings some of the songs that Monica was famous for singing. Edda Magnason covers them very well on the CD, with some tracks in Swedish and some in English. I particularly like the covers in Swedish of songs that I know in English, such as "God didn't make them Little Green Apples" which I recognize on the album only by its melody, since I don't know any Swedish and the listed titles are all in Japanese (the CD must have been a Japanese pressing). In general, I find quite appealing covers of songs in languages beyond the original language, such as the examples you listed, and I have come across quite a few such. I also have a CD album splendidly sung by Jessica Pilnas titled Norma Deloris Egstrom (Peggy Lee's birth name, I believe), wherein Jessica covers some songs that Peggy Lee was famous for singing, though here the songs are all sung in their English versions.
Monica Zetterlund, and many other artists were part of the humor duo Svenska Ord. They in turn created a lot of classic songs.

May 12, 2005 I was with my wife at a Pizzeria on Birger Jarlsgatan in Stockholm. On the way out of the Pizzeria we felt smoke.

The management operator at SOS connected the fire brigade who heard her say:

- I do not know what it is that burns. I do not want to die this way.

The severely handicapped star did not have a chance to escape the flames that broke out in and around the bed.

The fire brigade pulled out and at 17.54 smoke divers entered the apartment, which was then completely filled with black, thick smoke.

They found Monica Zetterlund on the left side of her double bed.

vilnis

I am told that this is the most popular and famous cover of this Pauls’ song, even exceeding the original:

Of course, Alla Pugacheva's musical performance is on a completely different level, but the original performance in Latvian has a completely different, much deeper text.

DanielT

Major Contributor
A real joker and good pianist. Povel Ramel. One of those who introduced blues, tlll the broad
the masses in Sweden. He was active for many years. Still well known in Sweden.:)

Come to think of him when I read about a person who against better knowledge (how to fix good sound nowadays, this person is very aware of that) struggles to get good sound with turntables, hopelessly large horn speakers and of course icing on the cake a tube amplifier that is just a pain in the a ...to get to work, setting bias and so on:D

I did a quick translation into English.

De sista entusiasterna
In the middle of roses and chlorophyll, in life's disciplined garden soil
We stand up with a tumultuous jump like the weed blasters
We are probably the last enthusiasts
Because if you gave in to the grief, no balloon was lifted with the basket
And no seagull was allowed to fly high above the masts
We are probably the last enthusiasts

Enthusiasts hit their heads in the poles (Well hey you!)
There is a mocking laugh from the prophet of woe ( ha ha ha)
A twist, a jerk and up the corks fly!
We want the last spasm, should be a spasm of enthusiasm

....:cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom