• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I'm not sure that Jackie Leven is that famous in the UK or even his native Scotland...but he should be
Absolutely! He certainly wasn't famous when I lived there, but I do remember his band Doll by Doll for some reason. I may even have seen them live! Leven is an acquired taste but nevertheless one worth acquiring even though his material is a bit patchy. I find his 'banter' on live recordings especially hard to stomach ...

fffffgggg54

Lao Lang (老狼, transliterates to "old wolf") was popular in China, particularly in the mid to late 90's, during which his music was commonly played on college campuses. Many of his songs have messages that resonate well with college students, such as growing up and romance.

This album is called 北京的冬天, or "winter in beijing," and was released in 2007. I heard it often when I was young and the music carries with it memories. The genre is pop, with some rock and folk influences. Almost entirely acoustic, I find the music very relaxing.

ADU

Major Contributor
Trival/3ball, or tribal guarachero was (is?) another popular/fun style of up-tempo electronic Mexican dance music from the 2010's, which featured guys in long pointy boots, that crossed over briefly into mainstream Latin pop. The most well-known group in the genre was 3BallMTY (Tribal Monterey), with Erick Rincon.

55dc82bb329287523225f907-1466203242814.jpg

The term guarachero (or guarachoso) comes from the Cuban guaracha btw. And the rhythmic patterns in this trival style can also be very similar to cumbia.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Some Bolivian folk groups you should probably also know include (Los) Kjarkas, K'ala Marka, and AndeSur. And maybe also Ch'ila Jatun, and Renueve Bolivia. There are many other good ones though.

I get confused by all the different Bolivian folk styles that these groups do. :) But a few of the more fun ones include the Tinku, which is based on a ritual battle dance performed in the Andes mountain region. The Morenada (basically a march, with alot of pan flute), Caporales, and Salay. And the Saya, which is an Afro-Bolivian folk style from the Yungas region of Bolivia.

A Tinku folk dancer...

385px-Image047_15A-0.jpg

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
"Mujer Bonita" by Grupo Ozono. This is in the morenada style.

As mentioned above, there are many groups that are good in these different styles. So it's hard to keep track of them all. Some may be good or specialize in a particular style or styles though, rather than doing them all, like Kjarkas and K'ala Marka.

Last edited:

EB1000

In my country there are at least two artists that are somewhat known worldwide, because they did have a few gigs in both Europe and the US, but are they deserve much more credit and popularity. They both write and composed their own music.

The first is Asaf Avidan, whose voice remarkably resembles Jenise Joplin's:

This is one of my favorite songs of his:

The second is Marina Maximilian:

This is her cover for Eye in the sky, which is a reinvention of this classic:

And here is another one of my favorites:

And this is her performing live on of her hits:

There are many more talented artists here in the Holly land, here are two more examples:

Geva Alon doing his version of Modern Love:

And this is Idan Reichel, who is half Ethiopian, thus very much influenced by African music. This is one of my favorite songs of his:

You can find them all on Spotify/Tidal/Dezeer, etc.

Enjoy!

ADU

Major Contributor
Some tracks by 3BallMTY & Erick Rincon...

"Sangre Azteca" by Erick Rincon. Watch vol. This has strong bass.

"Tu Pa' Que Te Vas" by 3BallMTY & Jotdog

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Last video in this style (for now anyway). Have to show some love to Ms. Sierra though, since she also helped to popularize this style.

"Porque El Amor Manda" by América Sierra & 3BallMTY

ADU

Major Contributor
two regional giants here in Bahia state, with a song with big caribian touch

The video above of Chiclete Com Banana & Carlinhos Brown's "Rumba de Santa Clara" is blocked in the US btw. There are other versions on YT that work ok, if anyone wishes to check it out. Nice up-tempo vibe on that.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
I'm not sure that Jackie Leven is that famous in the UK or even his native Scotland...but he should be. A brilliant storyteller with a great voice and a wicked sense of humour. His songs don't always go where you expect them to.

I only found out about him when he died in 2011. Since then I've bought all his solo releases including those of his alter-ego Sir Vincent Lone.

This article by Ian Rankin is spot on - I don't know why Jackie Leven isn't better known - he should be revered

Got anything else in addition to the above, Burning Sounds?

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Carlos Vives from Colombia. Big in Latin America, relatively unknown elsewhere.

I am familiar with Vives, and also like some of his work. He was largely responsible for the vallenato craze a few years back. (And making accordion hip again in Latin popular music, which I like. :) ) Another good vallenato artist I like is Silvestre Dangond.

Both also collaborated with some popular reggaeton artists, resulted in an offshoot that some dubbed "vallenaton".

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
These are not necessarily my personal favs, but two artists who are pretty popular in country music in the US at the moment are Morgan Wallen and Luke Combs. Wallen is the more laid back of the two. Combs is more high energy. So their styles are rather different. Kane Brown has also been making alot of waves as well of late. And collaborting with alot of different artists in different genres.

The most popular female artist at the moment is probably Carly Pearce. Followed by Maren Morris, Carrie Underwod, Miranda Lambert, Kelsea Ballerini, and folks like that.

For those who don't know, most country songs, at least the popular ones anyway, are generally about beer, broken hearts, and 4x4 trucks. :) I tend to enjoy the somewhat bluesier, and more alternative, and also the more danceable side of the genre though. And one of my favorite videos/songs of the past few years was actually this one by country legend, Loretta Lynn...

Last edited:
Top Bottom