• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP X Focal ELEX Measurement #2

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a measurement for the second sample of Drop Focal Elex. I like to pretend that I asked for this one for "scientific purposes" but in reality, I was forgetful and had two members send me the same headphone! :)

I am not going to show the full set of measurements and only focus on frequency response. As you see, the channels do not match nearly as well as they did in the first sample:

Drop X Focal Elex 2 Frequency Response Measurement.png

My son and I played with it every which way but it was impossible to get the two channels to match. We could get closer if we asymmetrically put pressure on each cup but I didn't feel comfortable publishing those results. It is possible that the pads have worn out differently. My money is on the drivers not matching. Anyway, looking past that, correlation is very good with sample #1:

index.php

Sample #2 has taller peaks though in higher frequencies so perhaps it is a bit brighter as well. Based on measurements, I would have tried to reduce the highs a bit for sample #2.

There is a lesson here for people to nitpick headphone measurements and think there is a "single truth" in the measurements. There isn't. One needs to learn to look at the larger picture and verify measurements with listening tests.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

devopsprodude

Thanks @amirm Great stuff as always. I think this shows very well the variability of these things from unit to unit and how your critiques are generally about design/engineering issues that will be true regardless of unit to unit variability. Hopefully, at some point someone sends you another pair of Ananda headphones so you can further demonstrate this point. Unfortunately, nothing you do will please the "well, you're wrong, because they sound great to me" crowd.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I could possibly live with the limitation of max spl, but not with a channel imbalance like this. Would have been great to know, if the imbalance is due to bad QM or worn-out pads though....

Anyway: keep on testing, no matter who complains the loudest since the influence of ASR on parts of the business seems to increase and lately we all will profit from it :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I could possibly live with the limitation of max spl, but not with a channel imbalance like this. Would have been great to know, if the imbalance is due to bad QM or worn-out pads though....
The pads look the same visually on both channels but who knows if they compress exactly the same, etc. We did try a lot of variations though with pressure, angle, etc. and the differential remained. So I am thinking it is a driver issue or at least it is contributing to it.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Thanks for the findings @amirm, did you find any difference in sound on the subjective front? Just curious...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the findings @amirm, did you find any difference in sound on the subjective front? Just curious...
I am listening to it now and it sounds very nice (with my EQ). But no way I can compare it to the previous Elex from a day or two back.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I am listening to it now with EQ and left channel clips earlier than right. And both seem to be worse than sample 1 in this regard (from memory).

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Good way to verify your testing methodology pans out to show consistent results (i.e., within margin of error and sample variation).

DanTheMan

Love it. I mean with a speaker designed to reproduce such a large frequency range, there’s just got to be a degree of variability in any production run. It does seem like Sennheiser has reduced this variability in their higher end models vs most manufacturers but it’s still there and often to a significant degree within the same headphone (well maybe not so significantly, but you know what I mean—ii is visible). Anyone who has carefully weighed doping material and even more carefully applied it to loudspeaker cones for treatment knows this stuff isn’t simple. All this tells me is that we would all be better off if we could measure our own to some degree if just for channel matching. earphones may also be better off in this regard. My 2 sets of Etymotic ER4 measured so close to each other the difference is absolutely insignificant. BAs may well be easier to get perfect, or maybe they just toss them if they are not... IDK

mkawa

Forum Donor
Love it. I mean with a speaker designed to reproduce such a large frequency range, there’s just got to be a degree of variability in any production run. It does seem like Sennheiser has reduced this variability in their higher end models vs most manufacturers but it’s still there and often to a significant degree within the same headphone (well maybe not so significantly, but you know what I mean—ii is visible). Anyone who has carefully weighed doping material and even more carefully applied it to loudspeaker cones for treatment knows this stuff isn’t simple. All this tells me is that we would all be better off if we could measure our own to some degree if just for channel matching. earphones may also be better off in this regard. My 2 sets of Etymotic ER4 measured so close to each other the difference is absolutely insignificant. BAs may well be easier to get perfect, or maybe they just toss them if they are not... IDK
ER4s are hand matched to +/-1db

sarakyel

But no way I can compare it to the previous Elex from a day or two back.

Well, it looks like the difference from 3kHz and above is of less than 3dB, so even by quickly switching from a headphone to another I bet you wouldn't have heard a huge discrepancy in the treble area. The channel mismatch under 1kHz might have been more noticeable though since it would most likely move the stereo image slightly to the right, and this is the frequency range where our ear is most sensitive...

mkawa

Forum Donor
very interesting. focal's tolerances seem to be somewhat larger than one would expect for a company with such high pricing. then again, these are the drop version that has a much lower sale price. part of the OEM deal might have increased tolerances for lower cost (in fact, i would be surprised if this _weren't_ part of the OEM deal).

antdroid

Reviewer
very interesting. focal's tolerances seem to be somewhat larger than one would expect for a company with such high pricing. then again, these are the drop version that has a much lower sale price. part of the OEM deal might have increased tolerances for lower cost (in fact, i would be surprised if this _weren't_ part of the OEM deal).

They also had padgate :)

Pad variance seemed like a problem. Focal's older pads were bigger than the newer sets coming in from the small evidence I've seen.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm since you have that 2nd pair, have you considered running the frequency sweeps for the distortion at different db between 104db and 114db? It could seem worth knowing if the Focal driver bass break up at 105db vs. 113db, or somewhere in between.

I say this because 110db is often given as a common reference for how well a headphone amp should drive a pair of headphones. So it could be very useful to know where the driver starts screwing up relative to that.

mkawa

Forum Donor
They also had padgate :)

Pad variance seemed like a problem. Focal's older pads were bigger than the newer sets coming in from the small evidence I've seen.
padgate?

Top Bottom