• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@BYRTT

Could you process this for the M106 into your comparison set when you have some spare time? :).....
1st class EQ work thanks, on paper well theoretical my own take is that M16 is better because its directivity index is unique smooth among two wayers relative big diameter piston jump down to the small diameters of tweeters.

Animation toggle 1,1 second ASR anechoic response verse 2,2 second TimVG M106 EQ filterset ...
TimVG_1x1100mS-1x2200mS_b.gif

Filtercurve/settings TimVG M106...
TimVG_3.png

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1st class EQ work thanks, on paper well theoretical my own take is that M16 is better because its directivity index is unique smooth among two wayers relative big diameter piston jump down to the small diameters of tweeters.

Animation toggle 1,1 second ASR anechoic response verse 2,2 second TimVG M106 EQ filterset ...
View attachment 72835

Filtercurve/settings TimVG M106...
View attachment 72836

Very nice! Yes, the M16 should be a bitter better behaved from a directivity p.o.v. although the M106 seems to be universally liked. I'm considering buying it as a test subject as since it is 'not quite perfect' in terms of directivity but still technically very sound. As such it could be EQ'd in a number of different ways and could therefore provide some more insight into listener preference. It's compact form would allow easy testing in different locations.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Very nice! Yes, the M16 should be a bitter better behaved from a directivity p.o.v. although the M106 seems to be universally liked. I'm considering buying it as a test subject as since it is 'not quite perfect' in terms of directivity but still technically very sound. As such it could be EQ'd in a number of different ways and could therefore provide some more insight into listener preference. It's compact form would allow easy testing in different locations.

Agree M106 looks nice and has good subjective support so its nice and also constructive for Amir if you buy it and brief him down the road how it sounds in your system situation, Revel tweeter guide for M106 and F208 looks alot be close to the same and they both some of the widest spreaders so far IIRC..

TimVG_M106vF209_polar_800mS_EDIT_3.gif

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agree M106 looks nice and has good subjective support so its nice and also constructive for Amir if you buy it and brief him down the road how it sounds in your system situation, Revel tweeter guide for M106 and F208 looks alot be close to the same and they both some of the widest spreaders so far IIRC..

View attachment 72844

Yup! In fact I correlated Amir's to my F206 and M105 and updated my filters based on that - the F208 seem to be slightly different which I suspect is due to the baffle width.

KaiserSoze

Hi, a couple of things I would like to comment here.

Regarding flutter echo caused by parallel walls (which you didn't mention but, to me, is worth mentioning), this can be broken up with as little of an inch of non-parallel-ness. A slightly bowed sheet of thin ply on one wall. Vertical drapes turned slightly open. Pictures hanging on the walls with a slight downward tilt. Very easy to eradicate while still having parallel walls. Getting more formal, acoustical diffuser and absorber panels also do the job, of course.

Regarding room modes in the bass, it is a myth that parallel walls are the problem and non-parallel walls or ceiling are the solution. In the horizontal plane, room symmetry is too important at all non-bass frequencies, for non-parallel walls to be acceptable. Toole wrote, "A recurring fantasy about rooms is that if one avoids parallel surfaces, room modes cannot exist. Sadly, it is incorrect. Among the few studies of this topic, Geddes (1982) provides some of the most useful insights. He found that “room shape has no significant effect on the spatial variations of the pressure response.... The spatial standard deviations of the p2 response is very nearly uniform for all the data cases [the five room shapes evaluated in the computer model]."...." and "....for modes in rectangular and non-rectangular spaces...it is clear that both shapes exhibit regions of high sound level and nodal lines where sound levels are very low. The real difference is that in rectangular rooms, the patterns can be predicted using simple calculations.” Regarding vaulted ceilings being better than flat ceilings, not many homes have rock-solid floor and ceiling, so one or the other is going to let bass through and destroy the theoretical modal behaviour (which still exists for vaulted ceilings too). It is a theory that has been taken too far by lovers of theories.

Regarding room proportions, a room is not a reverberation chamber. Thus, analysis based on it being one is flawed, to the point of being misleading. One could argue it has some relevance between 40 and 120 Hz in small rooms (i.e. home hifi rooms), but researches in recent times refutes its usefulness. e.g. Fazenda et al (J. Audio Eng. Society, 2005) found that, "it follows that descriptions of room quality according to metrics relying on modal distribution or magnitude pressure response are seriously undermined by their lack of generality, and the fact that they do not correlate with a subjective percept on any kind of continuous scale."

Toole wrote that the 'irrefutable logic of the facts of room modes' has led to the appearance in pro audio text books of things like ideal, and undesirable, room proportions, and their widespread recitation by acoustical consultants. The fact that an acoustical consultant says so, is not, apparently, enough to make it true. Toole concluded that, "the acoustical performance of rooms cannot be generalized on the basis of their dimensional ratios and that reliably hearing superiority of a “good” one may not be possible....It is difficult to understand how this concept of an optimum room got so much traction in the field of listening room acoustics, and why it has endured."

You might need to revise that "1/4 wavelength" rule. The wavelength of 250 Hz is 54 inches, demanding a 13 inch thick panel by your rule, yet my 4-inch panels have an absorption factor of 1.00. In fact, at 125 Hz their factor is 0.60 -- and that is one way, so maybe 0.8-ish on a wall -- so are still highly effective, although your rule would require 26 inches of panel thickness.

But your main point, that typical 2-inch panels are no help in the bass, is well made.

cheers

Well, good for you.

For the record I provided a precise, carefully written, fully correct mathematical description of standing waves that set up between parallel surfaces, and of the proper mathematical understanding of the conditions by which two or more of the dimensions of a room with parallel surfaces will promote standing waves with the same frequency. It was textbook-quality stuff if I do say so myself, and of strong, fundamental relevance to the avoidance of standing waves in listening rooms. But rather than display any appreciation for my having gone to the trouble to do that, Newman chose to dismiss it and refute it through a hasty assertion that this sort of fundamental, theoretical understanding of the nature of standing waves has no relevance to real listening. To support this endeavor he used some quotes from a certain book, which quotes are not nearly as directly opposed to what I wrote as he would have us believe.

Newman, you wrote this:
"Regarding room modes in the bass, it is a myth that parallel walls are the problem and non-parallel walls or ceiling are the solution. In the horizontal plane, room symmetry is too important at all non-bass frequencies, for non-parallel walls to be acceptable."

I made a concerted effort to understand what that second sentence was intended to mean exactly. I eventually abandoned that effort and moved on to the bigger reason that I take exception to what you wrote there. You insinuated, rather strongly in fact, that what I had written amounts to a myth. The fundamentally correct understanding of standing waves in resonant cavities and in musical instruments is decidedly not a myth, but if what I wrote is a myth, then all of it must be.

Your statement further insinuates that the supposed myth is disproved by the quote you provided from a certain book. The book quote is concerned specifically with low frequency standing waves and with a phenomenon that is specific to wavelengths that are very long in relation to the interior dimensions. The explanation that I had written was not expressly concerned with very long wavelengths. By inference, your intent was to argue that only the long wavelengths matter. But you never said that exactly, and I don't think there is any question that you did not realize that the only way that what you wrote would truly make sense would be if this is what you were asserting, i.e., that so far as standing waves are concerned, the only wavelengths that matter are the very long ones.

Certainly it is possible for standing waves to set up along a path that is more complex than the simple rectilinear path between two opposing parallel surfaces. Perhaps this occurs to a significant degree inside of a home, but I am in favor of a simpler understanding. When the irregularities of a room are small in relation to wavelength, reflection occurs and reverberation ensues even though casual observation may not discern the reflective surfaces. What does not appear to the eye to be acoustically reflective is reflective when the dimensions of the irregularities are compared to long wavelengths. In any case, if an observed instance of reverberation is not believed to be adequately explained by way of the long-established understanding of the phenomenon of reverberation, then what is called for is further elaboration and specialization of the long-established theory, not some hasty and poorly-considered insinuation that the established theory has no relevance in explaining the observed phenomenon. I haven't read Toole's book, but based on the quote you provided I would be inclined to direct the same comment to him.

Regarding room proportions, a room is not a reverberation chamber. Thus, analysis based on it being one is flawed, to the point of being misleading.

Sheesh. In effect you are saying that it is misleading to analyze reverberation in a room because a room isn't a reverberation chamber. Watch me fall out of my chair. Let me see if I follow logically. Premise: a room is not a place where reverberation occurs. Implication: Analysis of reverberation in a room is flawed. Well, I suppose it does actually make sense, but could it be more obvious that all this really amounts to is the unsubstantiated assertion that reverberation doesn't happen in a room? Why do people write stuff like this? Write some preposterous assertion and then attach the obvious implication and act as though this is somehow intelligent and profound? It's just dumb.

Implicitly the reason you put the absorptive panels on your walls is not related to room reverberation (perhaps you were only wanting to deal with first reflections, I dunno). In most ordinary rooms in most ordinary homes, if you take every bit of the furniture out of the room and take all the drapes and curtains off the walls and then stand somewhere in the middle of the room and talk at a moderately loud level, room reverberation is inescapably apparent and it is most decidedly true that it is associated in a direct and obvious way with the distance between the parallel walls. You might as well argue that the sun doesn't ever rise before 7 AM because you've never gotten up early enough to have noticed it any earlier than that.

Regarding vaulted ceilings being better than flat ceilings, not many homes have rock-solid floor and ceiling, so one or the other is going to let bass through and destroy the theoretical modal behaviour (which still exists for vaulted ceilings too). It is a theory that has been taken too far by lovers of theories.

You are saying that when the ceiling is flat that either the ceiling or the floor will not behave as a reflective surface and that as such the flat ceiling is not any problem. You are further saying that if the reasoning by which the flat ceiling is thought to be a problem were correct, the vaulted ceiling would be just as big a problem. At face value this makes no sense, because the reasoning by which the flat ceiling is deemed a problem is based fundamentally on the premise that reverberation occurs between two parallel surfaces. Furthermore, if ceilings and floors weren't reflective, why would it be as easy as it is to detect and measure floor bounce and ceiling reflections?

And setting aside the question of reverberation, isn't the mere fact that first reflections from a flat ceiling are directed into the main listening area reason enough to prefer a vaulted ceiling? I've listened to music in countless rooms with flat ceilings, and in enough rooms with vaulted ceilings to know with absolute certainty that the difference is stark. Hell, the difference is unmistakable even with casual conversation. But you assert that vaulted ceilings aren't better, and even though this assertion of yours falls squarely under the heading of "theories that probably aren't worth taking seriously", you thought it appropriate to write, "It is a theory that has been taken too far by lovers of theories."

You might need to revise that "1/4 wavelength" rule. The wavelength of 250 Hz is 54 inches, demanding a 13 inch thick panel by your rule, yet my 4-inch panels have an absorption factor of 1.00. In fact, at 125 Hz their factor is 0.60 -- and that is one way, so maybe 0.8-ish on a wall -- so are still highly effective, although your rule would require 26 inches of panel thickness.

For something like this it is highly preferable for you to refer to studies that show the relationship between wavelength, panel thickness, and the effectiveness of the absorption. Please include a cursory explanation of what the "absorption factor" is, i.e., does an absorption factor of 1 mean that 100% of the acoustic energy impinging on the panel is absorbed? Please note also that I bothered to justify the 1/4 wavelength rule by way of comparison to anechoic chambers, where the accepted rule is that the height of the pyramidal cones needs to be at least 1/4 wavelength to be fully effective. A fully genuine response from you would offer an explanation as to why the rule for anechoic chambers does not apply to home listening rooms.

KaiserSoze

Panels are most effective 1/4 wavelenth distance from the wall as this is where airspeed is the highest.
Indeed doesn't mean they're not effective closer to the wall but their effectiveness does decrease.
Here a good calculator: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php

I don't think you can make a 4 inch thick panel which has an absorption coefficient of 0.8 at 125Hz when directly placed on a wall. (though with airgap / placed some distance from the wall it's very easy).
It's not just about thickness of the absorber, it's specifically about the distance from the wall as air does not move at the wall where it bounced off only pressure increases at the wall. But porous absorbers only absorb when the air moves. This is why you will see a higher absorption coefficient for your 4 inch panel at 125Hz when it is in free air than you will see at that freq when it's directly against a wall (for sound hitting it perpendicular)

Nice calculator! If you click on the Documentation tab, you find a couple of references that probably make for good reading.

Newman

Major Contributor
Fortunately, @KaiserSoze, most third-party readers of my post #401 will read it with less hostility than you did, and benefit from the points I made.

They will understand that it means that:-
  • Non-parallel walls and ceilings are not the solution for domestic room mode problems. (Good news for most of us)
  • The concept of optimum room dimensions for domestic audio is overrated and overused, and ineffective. (Good news for most of us)
  • Good quality absorptive panels 2" to 4" thick are effective for much longer wavelengths than 4x their thickness. 15x (preferably) to 25x being a more useful guide. (Good news for most of us)
You, it appears, will not receive the benefit of such conclusions by top audio researchers, or the datasheet from the wall panels I use. So be it.

cheers

P.S. "...some quotes from a certain book", LOL, those words of yours drew a giggle. Thanks!
P.P.S. Toole's book needs no reference, but here is a primer on acoustic panels that says what an absorption coefficient of 1 means. It has measurement problems (Toole can expand on this, if you buy and read "a certain book" :) ), and in "a certain book" Toole even references the 1/4 wavelength rule for anechoic chamber wedges, only to add the caveat that it is based on too-dense wedges, and can be further improved with a solid panel behind it. Clearly not useful as a guide to domestic panel thickness or effectiveness.

KaiserSoze

Fortunately, @KaiserSoze, most third-party readers of my post #401 will read it with less hostility than you did, and benefit from the points I made.

• Non-parallel walls and ceilings are not the solution for domestic room mode problems. (Good news for most of us)
  • The concept of optimum room dimensions for domestic audio is overrated and overused, and ineffective. (Good news for most of us)
  • Good quality absorptive panels 2" to 4" thick are effective for much longer wavelengths than 4x their thickness. 15x (preferably) to 25x being a more useful guide. (Good news for most of us)
You, it appears, will not receive the benefit of such conclusions by top audio researchers, or the datasheet from the wall panels I use. So be it.

cheers

P.S. "...some quotes from a certain book", LOL, those words of yours drew a giggle. Thanks!
P.P.S. Toole's book needs no reference, but here is a primer on acoustic panels that says what an absorption coefficient of 1 means. It has measurement problems (Toole can expand on this, if you buy and read "a certain book" :) ), and in "a certain book" Toole even references the 1/4 wavelength rule for anechoic chamber wedges, only to add the caveat that it is based on too-dense wedges, and can be further improved with a solid panel behind it. Clearly not useful as a guide to domestic panel thickness or effectiveness.

Newman, you are replying here to the post I wrote in reply to your post where you started by saying:

Regarding flutter echo caused by parallel walls (which you didn't mention but, to me, is worth mentioning), this can be broken up with as little of an inch of non-parallel-ness...
And you then quickly proceeded to write:
Regarding room modes in the bass, it is a myth that parallel walls are the problem and non-parallel walls or ceiling are the solution...

Here is a quote from the reference you have just now provided:

"Flutter Echo or Room Chatter
Clap your hands in an empty room and you will hear the sound ricochet off the walls, ceiling and floor. Flutter echo is mostly caused by reflective parallel surfaces that allow the echo to sustain itself. Reducing flutter echo is easily done by placing panels on opposing parallel walls in such a way that the echo cannot sustain itself."

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but presently my thinking is that a reasonable person would have looked at my most excellent explanation of standing waves and reverberation and would have recognized the value of it in explaining, at a fundamental level, "flutter echo". But this clearly did not occur to you. Your predisposition was to write, "Regarding flutter echo caused by parallel walls (which you didn't mention but, to me, is worth mentioning)..." I'm sorry, but I am just not able to understand this kind of thing, and when someone does something that is so completely different from I would have done in that same circumstance, I am befuddled to the point that I often cannot refrain from drawing attention to it.

After you wrote the introductory paragraph where you talked about flutter echo and about my having overlooked this phenomenon, you proceeded immediately to write "...it is a myth that parallel walls are the problem ...". You dismissed, out of hand, my precise and detailed explanation of standing waves that set up between opposing reflected surfaces. You did this on the grounds that it was concerned with parallel walls and that it is a myth that parallel walls are "the problem". You did this in the paragraph immediately following your introductory paragraph where you said that I had failed to mention "flutter echo" and where you proceeded to talk about "flutter echo" as a phenomenon associated with parallel walls.

Something else that I'll point out, that thus far I've not mentioned, is that the causal factors that contribute in a collective way to some observed effect are not generally singular. Very often the full and complete explanation of a given phenomenon is composed of the integration of multiple partial explanations that are each incomplete but that collectively provide a usefully complete understanding. I mention this because of your proclivity to write something like (paraphrasing) ".. is not the problem. The problem is ..." It is very often disingenuous when someone says something like this, implying that there is but a single "cause" of some certain phenomenon, and that other supposed causes are false causes. This kind of thing isn't merely a cliche, it is just not a good way to think about causality and effect. Every explanation that contributes in any partial way to the complete understanding of a given phenomenon is in fact a part of the correct explanation. As such it does not make good sense to dismiss something that contributes to the complete understanding.

But I suppose I should be thankful that you didn't come at me in the very puerile way that you did a few weeks ago.

KaiserSoze

cheers

I'm sorry, but I just read this again, and I can't help myself. You mention the effectiveness of thin panels at absorbing acoustic energy, but implicitly you assert that the reason that it is desirable to absorb acoustic energy is unrelated to reverberation between parallel walls. Yet in a prior post you wrote about "flutter echo", which, according to the reference you provided, is not a distinct phenomenon from that of reverberation, which of course is associated with standing waves that set up between parallel reflective surfaces. So, the reason for the panels has nothing to do with standing waves or flutter echo?

And you're saying that it is not a problem when a room is rectangular and both dimensions promote the same standing wave? The most extreme case and realistic case is a square room where the single dimension is in an odd-integer ratio with the ceiling height, e.g., 3:5. You're saying that a room of this sort would not be particularly undesirable, because why? And that if you were to use acoustic absorption in a room of this sort, the reason you would do so would be for what other reason? If the ceiling height is 8', then for a wavelength equal to 10.7', 3/4 of the wavelength will precisely fit into this distance. If the square room dimension is 5/3 of 8, i.e., 13.3', then 5/4 of the same 10.7' wavelength fits precisely into this 13.3' dimension. Thus, all three pairs of opposing reflective surfaces will promote a resonance at 105 Hz. But you're saying that this would not be of concern? Because why exactly?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all due respect to those debating room acoustics, could you please move on to a room acoustics thread? Those of us discussing the review of the M106 don't appreciate being spammed with notifications about your debate. I might even follow your new thread, but Off-topic is Off-topic, amirite?

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
@MediumRare I sympathise and am happy to conclude. cheers!

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Just got back from a Revel dealer that had the M16, M106 and F36 on hand. Tough call between the F36 and the M106. Vocals sounded noticeably better on the M106 vs the Concerta2 siblings but the stage was just so much bigger sounding on the towers. Probably not surprising? I'll be crossing over to subs so this is a tough call.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got back from a Revel dealer that had the M16, M106 and F36 on hand. Tough call between the F36 and the M106. Vocals sounded noticeably better on the M106 vs the Concerta2 siblings but the stage was just so much bigger sounding on the towers. Probably not surprising? I'll be crossing over to subs so this is a tough call.

If you have subs, I would go with the M106.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
How about F206 ?
I should have listened but I'm sticking to a budget and I knew if I heard it I would probably either be A) depressed in not being able to buy it or B) in trouble with the spouse for dropping that much money haha

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should have listened but I'm sticking to a budget and I knew if I heard it I would probably either be A) depressed in not being able to buy it or B) in trouble with the spouse for dropping that much money haha
You should still listen. Either you'll find that it's not SO MUCH better, either you'll love the sound and will want to wait & save a bit more!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What was the difference between the M16 and M106?

Icboschert

Forum Donor
What was the difference between the M16 and M106?
Very very similar. Staging was the same but female vocals still sounded better to me on the M106. M16 is really an incredible value if looking at bookshelves only. Both bookshelves sounded pretty great when running full range

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...:p

Top Bottom