• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The question is: is it the meat specifically, or is the working and living conditions? Over here, these East European workers are employed by a subcontractor and not by the plant. The subcontractor houses them in disused schools etc, mostly with some four workers in one room, and busses them in vans or touring cars to the plant. In short, plenty of opportunity for infection, and not just in the work place.
In our case the nationality matters in the sense that these are the most vulnerable and most easily exploited workers. Dutch workers would not accept such conditions.

The company owners are responsible.

Maxicut

What relevance does the nationality of the workers have to do with it? Tell me.
Everyone here has referenced that the workers from from Eastern Block countries, Mexico or whatever with such things. I just thought I'd follow the norm to try & well, follow the norm, but it has no relevance no...
I'm just talking, but I guess if you do that here, you have to expect abuse... but I'm just talking like everybody else....

Willem

Major Contributor
The company owners are responsible.
Here the trick with the subcontractors is used to avoid responsibility by the company that owns the plant. Unions are very unhappy, but it is hard to organize these workers. Public health authorities and Food inspectors have started this investigation, and discovered the infection rate. The plants were closed.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Everyone here has referenced that the workers from from Eastern Block countries, Mexico or whatever with such things. I just thought I'd follow the norm to try & well, follow the norm, but it has no relevance no...
I'm just talking, but I guess if you do that here, you have to expect abuse... but I'm just talking like everybody else....

'Everyone here' has not referenced as you say.

It is simple. Know what you are talking about when you make statements.

Consider if this forum is for you.

Last edited:

Maxicut

It is simple. Know what you are talking about when you make statements.
Geez this is annoying... what is it that don't I know with a meat processing plant that got hammered by covid 19 that has pissed you off???

Maxicut

I understand you are frustrated, people can be annoying but this is not acceptable behaviour.
Does anybody else get told that what they are doing is not acceptable behavior? I've also got better things to do than deal with people that suffer from little man's syndrome.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The question is: is it the meat specifically, or is the working and living conditions? Over here, these East European workers are employed by a subcontractor and not by the plant. The subcontractor houses them in disused schools etc, mostly with some four workers in one room, and busses them in vans or touring cars to the plant. In short, plenty of opportunity for infection, and not just in the work place.
In our case the nationality matters in the sense that these are the most vulnerable and most easily exploited workers. Dutch workers would not accept such conditions.

Not so different here.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Does anybody else get told that what they are doing is not acceptable behavior? I've also got better things to do than deal with people that suffer from little man's syndrome.
Ok, you have been insulting, iv tried to be understanding towards you but now you throw that back at me and are dishing out more insults .

Geez Louise.

Thread ban issued .

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparing Sydney 'City' to New York 'City', Sydney's population density is 9, 212 people per square kilometre (23,859 people per square mile), which is pretty much the same...

Whoops sorry, I forgot I have to prove everything I say, here's the official figures https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/research-and-statistics/the-city-at-a-glance
Mate, did you just compare 5% of Sydney - one post code with a couple hundred thousand people - to New York City as a whole? You’re not helping your credibility.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
How Sweden wasted a ‘rare opportunity’ to study coronavirus in schools
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/how-sweden-wasted-rare-opportunity-study-coronavirus-schools

[ There’s nearly universal agreement that widespread, long-lasting school closures harm children. Not only do children fall behind in learning, but isolation harms their mental health and leaves some vulnerable to abuse and neglect. But during this pandemic, does that harm outweigh the risk—to children, school staff, families, and the community at large—of keeping schools open and giving the coronavirus more chances to spread?

The one country that could have definitively answered that question has apparently failed to collect any data. Bucking a global trend, Sweden has kept day care centers and schools through ninth grade open since COVID-19 emerged, without any major adjustments to class size, lunch policies, or recess rules. That made the country a perfect natural experiment about schools’ role in viral spread that many others could have learned from as they reopen schools or ponder when to do so. Yet Swedish officials have not tracked infections among school children—even when large outbreaks led to the closure of individual schools or staff members died of the disease... ]

maty

Major Contributor
Ontario to announce new testing strategy to target asymptomatic people in high-risk groups
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...rget-asymptomatic-carriers-in-high-risk-jobs/

[ Ontario is creating a new strategy to test for COVID-19 in asymptomatic people in high-risk groups, including first responders, taxi drivers, workers in meat-packing and auto plants, and school-aged children, in order to figure out where the virus is spreading and how to get it under control... ]

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hard to compare accurately, but here's what's advertised:

Sydney: The built urban area is estimated at 4,196sq km which translates to a density of 1,171 persons per square kilometre

New York: The city's population density of 26,403 people per square mile (10,194/km²), makes it the densest of any American municipality with a population above 100,000. Manhattan's population density is 66,940 people per square mile (25,846/km²), highest of any county in the United States

Using the New York Metrolpolitan area and population - 1,377/sq mile.

So, who knows.
I admittedly can't prove it, but IMO a big part of the issue in NYC was the massive use of public transportation(which was apparently not being sanitized, well into the spread of the virus), as well as crowded elevators. I also suspect a lot of multi-generational households in the densest NYC neighborhoods. I'm not sure to what extent Sidney matches those conditions.

Willem

Major Contributor
I admittedly can't prove it
It is really hard to say, of course. We increasingly understand that large numbers of people in confined places is bad news. So I can well imagine that conditions in New York were dangerous. But the analysis is complex: in the Netherlands the biggest concentrations of infections were not in the big cities, but in some rural districts. Carnaval and church services clearly did spread infections, but there was probably more. So keeping churches closed and banning other large indoor events seems prudent. Rethinking public transport will be a challenge (people here are buying new bicycles). Similarly, my university has just cancelled the majority of live teaching for the Fall Semester. We will mostly stay online, with only some live lab teaching etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom