• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Predatowned

I searched but found nothing related specifically to the e30. It’s safe to use the standard iPhone charger adapter to power this dac, correct?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If one order now through Audiophonics.fr it will arrive in Europe in 15 to 25 days, so most likely it will be new production units, with the firmware problema solved.
Is that site good ? I'm also looking for expensive headphones. Can i trust them ?

odyo

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.audiophonics.fr

But if it's possible to pay with PayPal and you have an account, I would say nothing to worry if the purchase isn't time sensitive.
Yes. They are active on this forum too. Plenty of us order there.

Thanks. Currently looking for Hifiman Sundara and Ananda. Sundara price is nice but their Ananda so expensive compared to official Hifiman price. Also these Hifiman's known to have qc issues make me worried since i'm gonna pay shipping and tax too. Anyone have return/refund experience with them ?

I hope they update their prices. Official prices Sundara: $349, Ananda: $699. Audiophonics.fr prices Sundara: 339€, Ananda: 999€

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Is the E30 still using its DAC in preamp mode? I have mine hooked up to my TV with an optical cable and I want to confirm it's not just passing the TV's DAC sgnal through.

The optical output from your TV = digital. A DAC is a Digital to analog converter, so yes the E30 is using its DAC in preamp mode and in DAC mode to convert this signal. Your TV's dac only plays a role for your internal TV speakers and your analog TV headphone output. The E30 has to translate the optical digital output from your TV to analog. Your TV's DAC has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

jespo

Forum Donor
I searched but found nothing related specifically to the e30. It’s safe to use the standard iPhone charger adapter to power this dac, correct?

I'm currently using an old Samsung S9+ spare charger without issues.

The E30 that is currently on the market has improved firmware, and I don't think there is a problem with DSD64.
I have a 1910 batch, so I have upgraded the firmware to 1.07. I have tested with foobar2000 DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 without any problems.

Last edited:

Cujobob

schiit claimed that the standard iPhone charger was the best of the inexpensive 5V/1A chargers they tried when testing their Modi 3. It’s quite possibly the ideal charger for this since most of us have one somewhere. That’s what I’ll be using with my E30 though I am tempted to get a linear one just to compare.

jannek

multimike

I can't say I have experienced that problem with the E30. I have had this in the past on a laptop with a Pro-ject DAC though. It turned out is wasn't the DACS fault ;), but the Windows settings.

There is the possibility that in your Windows settings the USB devices are suspended when they are not used for a period of time.

In Windows do the following:

Tip 1.
Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power options
Click High Performance
Next, click Change Plan Settings
Ensure both power options are set to Never

2. Make sure your PC doesn’t suspend your USB devices
You don’t want your USB keyboard/drives/soundcards being disabled if you leave your computer for too long.
While on the Power Options screen (see tip 1)

Click 'Change advanced power settings';
Click the + button next to USB Settings
Click the + next to USB Selective suspend settings
Double click Enabled > click Disabled
Apply > OK

Thanks for the tips. I tried, but didn't help in my case. Will do a few more tests, maybe I can nail it down further.

odyo

This webshop is great. Bought from them several times and everything is just great. Exceptional support also.
Thanks. Sorry for the kinda off topic discussion everyone. They seem great but my main problem is i'm aiming to buy Hifiman headphone which has bad qc issues. If i get one of those defective products not sure what is gonna happen :(

kkeretic

Thanks. Sorry for the kinda off topic discussion everyone. They seem great but my main problem is i'm aiming to buy Hifiman headphone which has bad qc issues. If i get one of those defective products not sure what is gonna happen :(

They also have great aftersale support so you could return or exchange stuff.

mykeldg

I don't know how interested people here are with subjective sound demos (and yes it doesn't sound identical in real life). But here is a quick sound comparison between the Schiit Modi Multibit and E30 for anyone who are interested.

The Dragon

Forum Donor
Completely useless video. In addition to the child dancing and making annoying noises trying to get daddy's attention, the microphone and/or the inputs are recorded too high distorting the signal. The treble control sounds like it is all the way up.

Tup3x

I don't know how interested people here are with subjective sound demos (and yes it doesn't sound identical in real life). But here is a quick sound comparison between the Schiit Modi Multibit and E30 for anyone who are interested.
That doesn't unfortunately just work in practice. ADC, speakers and microphone are bottlenecks there. Environment noise too. YouTube compression will obviously take care for the rest. Line out -> line in recording would be the only method that would make even tiny bit sense. That being said you'd need really good ADC...

I'm not that surprised if the Schiit sounds different. It wouldn't be a good thing for Schiit Modi Multibit though......

mykeldg

I expected these kind of response :p its just for fun, though. the relative differences I hear in real life is very much discernible and aligned with what I hear from the video. treble/tone controls are off and are in direct mode. But yeah, its no where near how it sounds in real life, the relative difference between the 2 is what I was trying to capture and if I use a decent headphone to listen, its passable to convey the relative difference.

Top Bottom