• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

napfkuchen

When I look at the step response of SVS subs, I think they are less suitable for ART: Link
Can you elaborate on that in simple terms?

pogo

Major Contributor
ART expects a system that plays as precisely as possible. The swing-out behaviour of the SVSs is counterproductive, regardless of whether the sub outputs a correction signal or the regular channel signal.

napfkuchen

Hmm, it's a shame, I would actually like to stick with a subwoofer with such compact dimensions. We'll see until the update for my receiver actually appears.

Curvature

Major Contributor
ART expects a system that plays as precisely as possible. The swing-out behaviour of the SVSs is counterproductive, regardless of whether the sub outputs a correction signal or the regular channel signal.
This is nonsense.

The timescale of bass signals is in the hundreds of milliseconds and multiple seconds as you get to the lowest frequencies. It takes a long time for the ear to acquire and register a bass pitch (tens of milliseconds).

ART does not need or "expect a system to play as precisely as possible". This is obsessive tweaker thinking. Impulse response correction at the bass frequencies has a comparatively easy job because of the timescales at work.

Step response can be derived from frequency response and vice versa.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This is nonsense.

The timescale of bass signals is in the hundreds of milliseconds and multiple seconds as you get to the lowest frequencies. It takes a long time for the ear to acquire and register a bass pitch (tens of milliseconds).

Umm. I have a lot of respect for you, such that I think that I probably misunderstood you. A 20Hz signal = 20 cycles per second = each cycle 1/20 second = 50ms. Not in the hundreds of milliseconds range. Could I ask you to clarify please?

pogo

Major Contributor
We'll see until the update for my receiver actually appears.
There will certainly be an improvement, but an optimum will sound different. Then it's better to do without new additional subs and replace the existing subs with ones that play precisely. But even a booming, imprecise reproduction can be pleasing.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Umm. I have a lot of respect for you, such that I think that I probably misunderstood you. A 20Hz signal = 20 cycles per second = each cycle 1/20 second = 50ms. Not in the hundreds of milliseconds range. Could I ask you to clarify please?
Sure. My fault for assuming that it was clear that I was talking about real room measurement and correction within the context of ART.

Here's a measurement from a 2001 Genelec paper, Low-Frequency Modal Equalization of Loudspeaker-Room Responses. Notice the time is in seconds. You can see the same phenomenon in your own room measurements, using REW or the like.

1713961744128.png

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Define "precisely" and "counterproductive swing-out behaviour" at subwoofer frequencies (<80Hz).

napfkuchen

So no need to worry about step response?

markus

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Define "precisely" and "counterproductive swing-out behaviour" at subwoofer frequencies (<80Hz).

007.png

071.png

It should be clear which one sounds better/precise and is more suitable for co-optimisation in a room.

markus

View attachment 365644

View attachment 365648
It should be clear which one sounds better/precise and is more suitable for co-optimisation in a room.
Any verification that this is not just a measurement artefact or misconfiguration/defective?

Edit: Looks like all SVS subs show the same behavior so it's probably worth exploring what's causing this. Looks like some kind of processing within the unit to me (subsonic filter?). Anyway, group delay seems fine. Don't see why it wouldn't work with ART.

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
So no need to worry about step response?
In any practical sense, not really. From a technical perspective, yes. Dirac's claim is time and phase correction, so it corrects step response anyway. How well it can do so has limits that are to do with the accuracy of measurements.

pogo

Major Contributor
Even Dirac does not turn an SVS sub into an 'precise' Arendal, Neumann, B&W, ...sub.
That would be nice ;)

Curvature

Major Contributor
Even Dirac does not turn an SVS sub into an 'precise' Arendal, Neumann, B&W, ...sub.
That would be nice ;)

You can also check out @mitchco's book and other articles.

IamJF

The subwoofer needs to be LINEAR so a correction algorithm can be done. So it needs to be loud enough to not compress/make noise with ports etc. - then ART should be able to do a useful correction.

From a technical perspective, yes. Dirac's claim is time and phase correction, so it corrects step response anyway. How well it can do so has limits that are to do with the accuracy of measurements.
There will be limits for low frequencies otherwise delay and processor useage would be to extensive.
Just build a bunch of closed volume woofers and be happy ... ;)

Top Bottom