• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Overseas

Major Contributor
I was just following this topic speculations. Probably it will have some multichannel features.

zeluxao

A coax in would be great to connect must cd transports (mine for example). This way, I'll definitely need an external dac. I hope it can high pass digital outs while still outting rom sub out. If not on release, with a future update so i can use all the features with my external dac. And cd transport. :)

Miguelón

A coax in would be great to connect must cd transports (mine for example). This way, I'll definitely need an external dac. I hope it can high pass digital outs while still outting rom sub out. If not on release, with a future update so i can use all the features with my external dac. And cd transport. :)
We can make a list of features and send it to WiiM.

-Coax in
-USB out
-Multichannel
-Balanced outputs
-…

:cool:

zeluxao

We can make a list of features and send it to WiiM.

-Coax in
-USB out
-Multichannel
-Balanced outputs
-…

:cool:
Usb out it has. Not a deal breaker for me but i can't understand why it doesn't have one. It's cheap, easy to implement and doesn't take much room.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Update with more details and a rendering of this model. Looks interesting. No price yet. Any guesses?

lennyanders

A question of you have more knowledge than I? If I use a HDMI to USB adapter, am I right in thinking quality is unaffected as HDMI is passing digital to the internal DAC?
I don't think the USB port can be used as an streaming input. Probably only output and for storage. Also what kind of converter do you intend to use? I am only aware of USB to HDMI (video and audio) but not of HDMI to USB (only audio).
Maybe all that actually exists and is possible. So please correct me.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think the USB port can be used as an streaming input. Probably only output and for storage. Also what kind of converter do you intend to use? I am only aware of USB to HDMI (video and audio) but not of HDMI to USB (only audio).
Maybe all that actually exists and is possible. So please correct me.
See attached picture.

Would be too take audio from a dedicated audio HDMI output on Blu-ray into USB on the WIIM. I'm under the impression the USB is able to be used to play stored files so I'm assuming it can receive digital audio through that method. Or there's Toslink, but not sure if things have changed but when I last used Toslink a few years ago now I heard that it has limited bandwidth and not the greatest way of inputting a signal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-21-02-32-56-544_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-21-02-32-56-544_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 13

aagstn

Update with more details and a rendering of this model. Looks interesting. No price yet. Any guesses?

I'm sure it will be a tough price point for their competition to deal with. This seems like a home run. All your analog and digital sources going through a good preamp and DAC with PEQ. Also a solid streamer with a screen. If the DAC is as good as previous products and the phono preamp is good enough it will probably be an amazing value. Even $400 seems reasonable. The USB not allowing for an input would be the only thing to put me off wanting one.

staticV3

Master Contributor
See attached picture.

Would be too take audio from a dedicated audio HDMI output on Blu-ray into USB on the WIIM. I'm under the impression the USB is able to be used to play stored files so I'm assuming it can receive digital audio through that method.
Won't work.

Or there's Toslink, but not sure if things have changed but when I last used Toslink a few years ago now I heard that it has limited bandwidth and not the greatest way of inputting a signal.
You can do:
BD Player ->Toslink->WiiM
BD Player->HDMI->TV->HDMI->WiiM
BD Player->HDMI->HDMI Audio Extractor->Toslink->WiiM

V.b.

Lack of balanced out makes it non optimal to use long runs, as in powered speakers or monoblocks placed next to speakers.

Over Wiim pro plus it has hdmi arc and sub out. Don't really care about the screen or headphone amp.

We'll see.

Ze Frog

Won't work.

You can do:
BD Player ->Toslink->WiiM
BD Player->HDMI->TV->HDMI->WiiM
BD Player->HDMI->HDMI Audio Extractor->Toslink->WiiM
Yeah, I'll wait and see how it reviews here and see if I feel it's still worth it. Find it really odd when they have improved the DAC that they have removed coax input for things like CD transport. Although I'm probably the odd one out as many likely don't do CD's anymore.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
What a most delightful time for Audio enthusiasts. We are seeing a blooming of reasonably priced hi performance audio kit that previously we had to sell a Kidney or two or win the lottery to ever think of affording within our reach and to boot we have choices available. So very exciting times and we have our gracious host @amirm to thank for much of the “price of performance” industry pressure. His product technical reviews are paying off in spades. Thanks Amir…:cool:

With this particular device I am personally very interested in how and what the HDMI connection is capable. The user interface is also very important to me. I want to spend more time listening and less time messing with the interface…I want Apple Music Connect or Apple compatibility. Blue sound is just a pain in the ass.

Ze Frog

What a most delightful time for Audio enthusiasts. We are seeing a blooming of reasonably priced hi performance audio kit that previously we had to sell a Kidney or two or win the lottery to ever think of affording within our reach and to boot we have choices available. So very exciting times and we have our gracious host @amirm to thank for much of the “price of performance” industry pressure. His product technical reviews are paying off in spades. Thanks Amir…:cool:

With this particular device I am personally very interested in how and what the HDMI connection is capable. The user interface is also very important to me. I want to spend more time listening and less time messing with the interface…I want Apple Music Connect or Apple compatibility. Blue sound is just a pain in the ass.
Really is exciting times, and great point regarding Amir and ASR as that's probably part of the picture I hadn't really seen in such a black and white sense. And thanks to these companies as well for not working on a model of all out greed. Thanks to both we effectively have a Hi-fi utopia accessible to all.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Lack of balanced out makes it non optimal to use long runs, as in powered speakers or monoblocks placed next to speakers.
To which the solution is to make it optimal by using very short runs, placing this and the amp next to each other, and longer runs of speaker cable.

Speaker cable which we know from Amir’s testing here doesn’t face to be expensive.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

There are very few posts which are two paragraphs long where I can agree with every word, but this nails it.

And I liken it to the old days of turntables (still around, I know), where you start at £100 or so, and work your way up to 6 figures. Right here we have something that’s going to cost (my guess) £400-£600 and have absolutely everything you’d need in the digital realm (streamer, transparent DAC, PEQ, room correction).

Ten years ago AdamG, you’d have been burned at the stake for witchcraft if you even suggested such a thing.

Top Bottom