• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What amp would you buy?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hello,

I was looking at it but meanwhile found that these two would be a wiser purchase:

Yep,that's the sweet spot of the Purifi series if you don't need the extra power of the 9040 or the premium case.
I would also look at boXem audio for such if I were you.

EdW

Both 7040 and 9040 based Purifi amplifiers will sound the same. Both amps linearity exceeds the dynamic of human hearing. The 9040 has better linearity but won’t sound any better. The 9040 is of course capable of a little more power into 8 and 4 Ohms - but hardly noticeable.
The only caveat about the 9040 amps is that we haven’t had a review yet from @amirm! And also perhaps the delivery times may be longer for the newer amp.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am still baffled by the OP's view that the Eversolo is responsible for a flat sound. From all the measurements and from general knowledge about DAC's, that should not be the case. It may be that the Classe preamp introduces some unnatural spice into the sound that he has to learn to forget. I don't know.
Moreover, I stil don't quite understand the set up. Is the HT system one with multiple channels and multiple speakers, and does it then use the stereo system as power amplifiers for the two main channels and the two main speakers (i.e. using line outputs from the AV receiver for the two front channels, and then into the preamp)? Replicating that without using the Eversolo would require no more than a two channel switch with a volume control to get the levels right. Or am I missing something? One alternative would be to get a new and powerful AV receiver and use that for both HT and stereo. These mostly do not measure great, but the better ones are good enough (Amir has tested some).

OP
A

aduarte66

I am still baffled by the OP's view that the Eversolo is responsible for a flat sound. From all the measurements and from general knowledge about DAC's, that should not be the case. It may be that the Classe preamp introduces some unnatural spice into the sound that he has to learn to forget. I don't know.
Moreover, I stil don't quite understand the set up. Is the HT system one with multiple channels and multiple speakers, and does it then use the stereo system as power amplifiers for the two main channels and the two main speakers (i.e. using line outputs from the AV receiver for the two front channels, and then into the preamp)? Replicating that without using the Eversolo would require no more than a two channel switch with a volume control to get the levels right. Or am I missing something? One alternative would be to get a new and powerful AV receiver and use that for both HT and stereo. These mostly do not measure great, but the better ones are good enough (Amir has tested some).
Hello,

Just to clarify, I am not holding the DMP-A6 responsible for the flat sound; I just said that connecting it to my amp it sounded that way, of course that it can be the amps fault, I don't know.

As for my setup you got it right, it is linked that way. I just don't find yet necessary to change the receiver and I want to have independent systems. When I´ll have the new amp I´ll try the eversolo directly, then upon results I´ll think the next step, if any.

Willem

Major Contributor
When I´ll have the new amp I´ll try the eversolo directly, then upon results I´ll think the next step, if any.
That seems like a good idea. Make sure that you get an amplifier that allows you to set the gain to match the Eversolo. Many modern DAC's can produce much higher signal levels, and using a low gain amplifier then gives you better S/N.

OP
A

aduarte66

Contenders at the moment:

- BoXem ARTHUR 4115/E2
- BoXem ARTHUR 4222/E1
- AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET
- Apollon Audio Purifi 1ET7040SA M Monoblock
- Apollon Audio Purifi 1ET7040SA Stereo

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
My very personal preference woud be for the Boxem ones because they have auto on/off and adjustable gain. And because I like their esthetics. The latter may not matter that much because their auto on/off feature allows them to be put away out of sight.

EdW

My very personal preference woud be for the Boxem ones because they have auto on/off and adjustable gain. And because I like their esthetics. The latter may not matter that much because their auto on/off feature allows them to be put away out of sight.
This looks like being a good idea since I don’t see a 12v trigger output on pictures of the back panel of the Eversolo streamer

OP
A

aduarte66

I am not proud to confess that I never switch off anything in my audio setup, but I would be glad to have it automated although not a deal breaker.

Noob101

Forum Donor
Contenders at the moment:

- BoXem ARTHUR 4115/E2
- BoXem ARTHUR 4222/E1
- AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET
- Apollon Audio Purifi 1ET7040SA M Monoblock
- Apollon Audio Purifi 1ET7040SA Stereo

Have you made a choice yet? If so please share your thinking... am also looking for new amps and looking at these very models.

OP
A

aduarte66

Have you made a choice yet? If so please share your thinking... am also looking for new amps and looking at these very models.
Hello,

Not yet, because I am waiting for a LPS from Beatechnik to my DMP-A6, so one thing at the time, but I am very much inclined to the AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S500ET
as it comes with PURIFI 1ET7040SA instead of 1ET400A that comes in Boxem and the above mentioned Audiophonics.

Regards,

Top Bottom