• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fallout on Amazon

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So far - just a wee bit better than - "meh".

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have watched it all already. It's pretty good, this series is effectively the warm up from what I gather.

OP
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I am not a gamer and did not know this was a game adaptation until after watching the first episode last night. Gory, bloody, and the weirdest show I have ever seen
Given you aren't a gamer and didn't know the source material, your comments are quite on the nose.

I think these are the very same things that made the game so popular. The bizarrely twisted take on what western life would've looked like if it were stuck in the 50's all the way through 2077 and the juxtaposition of that "innocence" with all the technological advances one would expect... then juxtaposed again 200 years after The Great War and society is putting itself back together.
In the games, as in E1, there are times you stumble across a scene that is effectively untouched since before the bombs fell. A truly disturbing yet often comical take on life being frozen in its most raw and revealing moments... whether its a person who left life by electrocuting themselves in a bathtub as the bombs were falling, or a 200+yr old serial murder scene, or a young boy that hid in a fridge (you know, the old locking kind) and became a Ghoul whom you can rescue and has spent 200 years locked in that fridge...

If you don't mind the gore and brutality, I hope you decide to stick it out. It really looks like it will be worthwhile and a good time.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm ok with that assessment

i've played fallout 1 and 2 back in the day pre 9/11 pre Y2k and and it truly was 'gory bloody and weird' - that's a part of the strength of the series

it pulled no punches... you got into extended gunfights in the middle of the city there and there as collateral damage... innocent women and kids got shot

its an adult game... i feel like it was worse before bethesda... its full of all the vices inc. drug use, prostitution, slavery and every wacky situation you can imagine

the fallout universe IS full of contradictions... a world stuck with the vacuum tube before the invention of the IC

the hyper capitalism and nationalism... it has something to say but the universe is absurd

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perfect - the woman is away for 10 days and I needed something senseless to fill some evenings!

beeface

I'm very sceptical about this show.

Even if the first season is good, Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy have a terrible track record with Westworld and The Peripheral being duds. And William Gibson is much more interesting source material than a computer game.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw the thread title and thought it was about the fallout from Amazon running ads... obviously not.

Since Amazon's video quality was typically less than stellar I wasn't that much of a fan to begin with and I haven't watched anything on Amazon since they started running ads. Based on the comments on this thread, I don't see a change in my streaming services just yet.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've watched about 6 episodes and having played FO3, FNV and FO4 I can say it's pretty much as dead-on as you could possibly hope for a TV adaptation. Whether that's a good thing depends on your opinion on whether a post-apocalyptic, dark-humor, 50s-themed adventure-drama about life and the struggle for power in a nuclear wasteland sounds good or not. :D

a terrible track record with Westworld and The Peripheral being duds.

Strong disagree there! I liked both quite a bit. Maybe they're a bit high concept, and Season 2 of WW dragged, but the fact that they cancelled at 4/5 seasons is a travesty in my opinion.

beeface

Strong disagree there! I liked both quite a bit. Maybe they're a bit high concept, and Season 2 of WW dragged, but the fact that they cancelled at 4/5 seasons is a travesty in my opinion.
When Westworld was cancelled I only felt relief, because I was compelled to keep hate-watching that stupid show for some reason, haha.

As for The Peripheral, I really enjoyed the novel (and Agency) and while I enjoyed some aspects of the show, I thought the adaptation as a whole was a failure

Edit: I'll grant them this - The Peripheral is not exactly easy source material to adapt. With that said, I do think it could have been a good show with more competent showrunners.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Just saw something that they are still hesitating on approving a season 2 at the moment but may be working out....

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fallout is very violent with doses of black humor.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given you aren't a gamer and didn't know the source material, your comments are quite on the nose.

I think these are the very same things that made the game so popular. The bizarrely twisted take on what western life would've looked like if it were stuck in the 50's all the way through 2077 and the juxtaposition of that "innocence" with all the technological advances one would expect... then juxtaposed again 200 years after The Great War and society is putting itself back together.
In the games, as in E1, there are times you stumble across a scene that is effectively untouched since before the bombs fell. A truly disturbing yet often comical take on life being frozen in its most raw and revealing moments... whether its a person who left life by electrocuting themselves in a bathtub as the bombs were falling, or a 200+yr old serial murder scene, or a young boy that hid in a fridge (you know, the old locking kind) and became a Ghoul whom you can rescue and has spent 200 years locked in that fridge...

If you don't mind the gore and brutality, I hope you decide to stick it out. It really looks like it will be worthwhile and a good time.

I watched the second episode last night. I'm normally OK with violence and gore, hell I found Dead Alive, the self-proclaimed goriest movie ever made, absolutely hilarious. I find the gore in this series gratuitous and unnecessary. But the biggest problem I have with Fallout is with the characters. I don't care about any of them and they are positively the stupidest group of people ever written. I was ready to give up on the show as I found absolutely nothing compelling in the story.

In contrast, the last series I watched based upon a video game, The Last Of Us, was very well written with fully developed characters that I actually cared about. They are intelligent and relatable. I don't give a rat's ass about anyone in Fallout; they have zero relate-ability and I find their incomprehensible stupidity frustrating. And the occasional attempts at humor are utter failures. (Come to think of it, I find the modern Mad Max reboots to be equally bad.)

Tonight I decided to give the show one last chance and got through about 60% of episode three. I'm out. This program is not for me. From the comments on IMDB and in this thread I guess you have to have played the game to get it. I don't.

Martin

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the adaptation as a whole was a failure
Ashamed to admit I haven't read the novel yet. But am a fan of Gibson, so I can believe the adaptation didn't stand up to the source material.

Generally my rule is watch first, read second. If you do it the other way around, you can't help but find problems with how someone else envisioned the source material, your own vision is never going to show up on screen.

As for Westworld... I'm a sucker for all things cyberpunk so it checks the box for me. I don't have a strong argument as to why it's a good show, though. The pacing and characters are all over the place.

OP
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I watched the second episode last night. I'm normally OK with violence and gore, hell I found Dead Alive, the self-proclaimed goriest movie ever made, absolutely hilarious. I find the gore in this series gratuitous and unnecessary. But the biggest problem I have with Fallout is with the characters. I don't care about any of them and they are positively the stupidest group of people ever written. I was ready to give up on the show as I found absolutely nothing compelling in the story.

In contrast, the last series I watched based upon a video game, The Last Of Us, was very well written with fully developed characters that I actually cared about. They are intelligent and relatable. I don't give a rat's ass about anyone in Fallout; they have zero relate-ability and I find their incomprehensible stupidity frustrating. And the occasional attempts at humor are utter failures. (Come to think of it, I find the modern Mad Max reboots to be equally bad.)

Tonight I decided to give the show one last chance and got through about 60% of episode three. I'm out. This program is not for me. From the comments on IMDB and in this thread I guess you have to have played the game to get it. I don't.

Martin
Seems like you at least gave it an honest chance. Cheers!

beeface

Last of Us is possibly the best video game adaptation I’ve seen, but I watched it soon after I watched another post apocalyptic show, Station Eleven, which was a masterpiece.

Station Eleven was adapted from a novel, and unsurprisingly it had much more depth

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
thing is the show is true to the source material

you are supposed to see things true dollar store Zoey Deschanel

just about everyone in the MODERN fallout universe is an idiot NPC... but the people you havent come across are the masterminds behind things

to me the reveal of the New California Republic and who was running it dropped things into place...

the reveal of the Brotherhood of Steel sort of did not ring true but i accept they needed to slimline stuff for tv

i think the use of flashbacks was done well and is a useful device here

i'd hate to say the reviews are overblown... this is not an imdb 8.7 but its not far off

its the highest streaming show across multiple nations so they do have a bit of an unexpected hit across their hands and its sort of crossed into mainstream

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Great series! The Last of Us was good, but this is better because of the humor!

Okey Dokey!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I enjoyed it. I thought the gore, dark humour and satire where very much in keeping with the games.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
people are saying the main characters are idiotics and gormless... which is how the game is

if you're that main female vault dweller and that black brotherhood of steel imposter then what sort of decisions are you likely to make due to your sheltered upbringing

you are thrust into a hostile foreign world with nothing but a few caps, medikit, a sleeping roll, a pipboy and a 10mm automatic pistol...

Top Bottom