• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fallout on Amazon

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks very game-accurate, let's just hope they keep the quirky humor, sharp dialogue, and '50s Americana theme... otherwise it's just another post-apocalyptic drama, we've got those coming out of our ears nowadays...

OP
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Looks very game-accurate, let's just hope they keep the quirky humor, sharp dialogue, and '50s Americana theme... otherwise it's just another post-apocalyptic drama, we've got those coming out of our ears nowadays...
I had seen several articles and that was all very much a part of the show.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fingers crossed. But after Starfield, I'll wait and see.
For better or worse (probably better) Bethesda didn't write this, (did they?)

I'm a fan of the series but I found the writing / plot towards the end of FO4 to be an absolute travesty. Not to spoil it too much, but you spend the whole game being confronted with the moral abuses of the institute, then when you finally get there, it's like "hey, nice to meet ya buddy!" with basically no confrontation whatsoever.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i will probably watch this all the way

I have strange feelings about Fallout

I played Fallout 1 and 2 and Brotherhood (which was shit) - this was Black Isle and Feargus Urqhart at the peak... this guy is now a Microsoft employee... like dear leader...

Some amazing writing here.

Fallout 3... well this is Bethesda. I didnt think the base game was all that great but the DLC was pretty good.

Fallout NV: ummm... this Obsidian, ex Black Isle again. I think this is a legendary... disaster... the whole thing how Bethesda outsourced this to Obsidian and they did a better job.

I gave up after that.. real life intrudes etc.

In my mind this is an expensive TV show to shoot so I'd love to see how little green screen they use.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with above. FO1 and 2 were legends (never tried Brotherhood or the weirder spinoffs.) Part of this was fairly faithful adherence to the systems and, I guess, philosophy of the original paper RPG.

New Vegas was great, just lots of fun, and fun to play again in different ways, which is a sign of a great RPG.

FO3... I don't think I really tried the DLC and I'm not sure I ever actually finished the game, but I had a high tolerance for TES: Oblivion and this was largely Oblivion with mutants.

FO4 they clearly wanted to make a shooter and not an actual RPG. I gave up on it after a few hours. Even in that time it really wanted to beat you on the head with politics too, which was a turnoff, and not really in the spirit of the source material.

My understanding of this show is the writers have already expressed disdain for the source material and any fans of it. It's already sounding like the Witcher or other shows I've memory-holed out. I'm sure it will have Ink Spots songs and bobbleheads but the trailer sure makes it look very shooty and otherwise uninteresting.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
eps are out

i'm on ep1 and its a STRONG STRONG start

they captured the aesthetic and it looks like a pretty high cost production

walton goggins, kyle mclachlan, the plymouth xnr

the main character looks like zoey deschanel

and strangely mclachlans looks very very similar to the father character in Fallout 3

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor
Never played the games, but I loved it as a good old scifi series. Friends who've played the games have also loved this.

Also for any game players, the series has been confirmed to be canon.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun fact: metal god Devin Townsend made the ambient music for the Brotherhood game.

Oddball

I have really enjoyed the show, even not a gamer any longer :) Have one more show to go and looking forward to the ending/transition to S2.

That soundtrack is really hot in bass, really had to turn down my bass curves and volumes quite a bit to accommodate. Obviously better than lacking in bass, so just a note.

OP
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
2 episodes in. Totally dig it. Cast seems well done, story is solid and right up the Fallout alley. They really hit the details, too. Weapons look right out of the game, along with some of the armor the raiders were wearing. The BoS Power Armor and Vertibirds are super well done. That Yao Guai (the bear) was awesome!

Eager for more!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah its clear the actors and production staff played the games

they get the zeitgeist of Fallout

this is a weird annecdote but I remember how in 1997 Sony said they could not afford to make power armor for the 1997 Starship Troopers and yet in the year 2024 of our lord it seems its not a big deal?

the stuff here looks very game accurate even the Vertibirds and there's some various creatures from Fallout

i'm up the middle and its pretty consistent thru-out

also note the cameos... michael rappaport was on for like 5 mins

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am not a gamer, thus cannot comment on fidelity to source material. It stands out for itself, without knowledge of the game IMO. Some characters remain unbelievably clueless even when confronted with the obvious. That doesn't deter on the general quality of the Series. Agreeably surprised, hope they don't just drop it, as they did for "The Peripherals" that I found, excellent not merely good.

Peace.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the characters are accurate to the games... at least the modern Fallout 3/NV/4 era

bethesda and obsidian wrote these characters and it feels like the show leans towards more into the gormless bethesda NPC naivete of this universe

characters can be one dimensional and that's fallout

i do notice some kind of fan service where these characters seem to be dropped into game locales and they leave and that's it... eg. Shady Sands, the infamous first looted supermarket...

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a gamer and did not know this was a game adaptation until after watching the first episode last night. Gory, bloody, and the weirdest show I have ever seen. Still trying to decide if I'm going to keep watching.

Martin

Top Bottom