• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any link to patreon? I am not wealthy by any means but if it's for Erin's good in this silly company issue I will take my share on that
I'm of the same position and I consider this to be something that @amirm could be as easily involved in too. So might as well get the details worked out at the first threat level which is now. Plus it will deter future hostile actors I think.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh yeah, that was Erin exactly mentions in one of his youtube comments
It makes no sense to drill holes all the way through a speaker. Here is a review of the speaker on a stand by Audiophiliac:

Here is a shot of it:

1712376876381.png

There are no footers and it is clearly flush with the top of the stand.

See how he has it on a stand with no footer in sight. The footers listed are for "hardwood floor" and presumably carpet:

1712376845555.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it is very important that we establish a separate legal fund to show our seriousness to defend our rights here. Just donating to Patreon doesn't do that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ideas what kind of backup fund is required for this sort of stuff?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The competent litigators I've worked with crank out threatening sounding letters like Skittles. It doesn't take them long and, believe me, a letter like that on a law firm's letterhead really gets attention. Someone bitching about an objective review their product earned seems worthy of receiving one.

If any such professional is a member here hopefully they'll consider doing it. In the wake of the 2008 financial crisis we sent so many I actually became pretty good at writing them myself, but I'm no attorney nor litigator.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think this should be both for Erin and @amirm. So they both see how to handle future threats at the beginning stage. Both should be privy to any documents.
Thanks. But to be clear, I can manage myself. I am worried Erin may not be in a position to do so.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. But making that motion will cost money. And with proper defense now, it may not get to that.
I have spent the last year not working due to a car accident created by some one else. & just 2 weeks ago got the surgery that I have needed.
But I certainly would donate some money to a fund to help Erin.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I have a pair of Tekton Impact Monitors.

1st time I used them I thought what is all this 'noise' and chuffing.

I was not using the fugly feet, rather iso style pads. I realized there were holes in the bottom causing the issue.

I filled the holes with theaded inserts wrapped in Teflon tape so they are very plugged but no feet are visible.

Fwiiw I emailed them several times with a couple basic questions before buying my pair. I never received a single reply. Ending up getting a used set off USAM.

Anyway bad look Tekton.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin said on his YT community page that he was going to measure the speaker with feet and then repost the results. He also apparently spoke to an attorney.
So we should wait till after the review before amassing a legal backup fund<?> Plus I want to see what Erin thinks about all of this legal fund stuff here before sending in moola.

EDIT: I would be doing this because it's the right thing to be done and not because of any affiliation with Erin etc.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Tekton is really concerned about bad PR, threatening Erin and getting the users on ASR upset would not be in their best interest. That would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. There is a reason why you don't see a lot of negative YouTube reviews.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Having donated to a similar such fund in the past I know that, depending on the structure, it can actually be a pain in the arse. Tax and legal issues can arise and if the need for the fund goes away it isn't necessarily straightforward to liquidate or return capital.

@amirm any view on the likelihood of the claim that using the feet will significantly impact test results?

Edit: If simply set up as a go fund me it runs the risk of merely being a slush fund for the beneficiary. But then again that's becoming the norm even in political campaigns.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having donated to a similar such fund in the past I know that, depending on the structure, it can actually be a pain in the arse. Tax and legal issues can arise and if the need for the fund goes away it isn't necessarily straightforward to liquidate or return capital.

@amirm any view on the likelihood of the claim that using the feet will significantly impact test results?
I think a quote from a lawyer for the initial pushback would be a wise move.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I live (Canada.) to sue somebody one needs to go to a informal hearing with a judge and explain the details to the judge. Then that judge decides right there if the litigation has merit. A lawyer may appear for both parties for that meeting but is not required. Nor is a lawyer required for the actual court proceedings because the judge will advise/act as council for the two parties if they need council. Any idea how it works stateside?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the threat of litigation will be dropped now that Erin has taken down the review and once he puts up a revised one with the feet.

Nevertheless, I agree with @amirm that they shouldn't be threatening legal action at all, at least not before reaching out to Erin more amicably to see if he'd be willing to dialogue and work with them (which he no doubt would have). And I agree that raising money for a separate legal fund distinct from Patreon would be much more effective in sending the desired message.

Perhaps the simplest method would be a GoFundMe page, though I'm not personally versed in setting one of those up. I'd certainly donate.

Where I live (Canada.) to sue somebody one needs to go to a informal hearing with a judge and explain the details to the judge. Then that judge decides right there if the litigation has merit. A lawyer may appear for both parties for that meeting but is not required. Nor is a lawyer required for the actual court proceedings because the judge will advise/act as council for the two parties if they need council. Any idea how it works stateside?

This up-front process exists in some US states for certain kinds of lawsuits, but it's very hit or miss depending on what state the suit is filed in and what kind of claim the plaintiff makes.

In general, the problem in the US is that it's hard to win a bogus lawsuit, but it's extremely easy to file one, and inescapably expensive to defend against one.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Amir, been a big fan/admirer of your work.
Your dedication to the cause is unwavering and you continue to surprise.

Happy to contribute.

By the way, a high end dac for the lawyer member may not work.... we know "high end" usually means poor performance

Top Bottom