• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit I was secretly alone and against this thread and thought it to be annoying especially with that other phono thread that was virtually identical to this one. But I learned to like it and I have gleaned lots of ideas from this thread. Mostly from @MattHooper and @Sal1950.

Like getting your movie reviews from Siskel and Ebert.

stringer

I just figured out how to route my turntable through my integrated amp's pre outs to the Wiim streamer to a Bluetooth speaker. Decidedly not faithful to the original signal or the analog chain perhaps. But now I can enjoy my vinyl collection anywhere in the house.

PXL_20240404_211212883.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just figured out how to route my turntable through my integrated amp's pre outs to the Wiim streamer to a Bluetooth speaker. Decidedly not faithful to the original signal or the analog chain perhaps. But now I can enjoy my vinyl collection anywhere in the house.

View attachment 361398

Ok...that's just a wee big blasphemous!

AaronJ

View attachment 361398
I literally just started doing this a few days ago as well! I use an RCA switch to intercept the pre-out before the MiniDSP Flex and send it to the Wiim line in, then broadcast it to the *gasp* Sonos speaker in my kitchen.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Time for a competing thread?

:D

Let's get physical: Younger generations embrace CD format over streaming​

I don't think it would generate as many pages. It is a lot easier to explain than vinyl LPs since CDs are obviously superior in every way. :cool:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a very important statement that many here would be wise to think about.
I think a tad of obsession about music quality helps. I will never let my current standards go. I can still enjoy great music even when the original studio recording is compromised.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't think it would generate as many pages. It is a lot easier to explain than vinyl LPs since CDs are obviously superior in every way. :cool:
Except jewel cases. Jewel cases are the work of the devil.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just replaced the cartridge on my turntable (ortofon red) to a AT VM95ML. The whole process of setting everything up correctly was fun as well. A bit like putting a computer together.

I don’t get why this hobby should be only about what it superior. Obviously it’s more involved.

Robin L

Master Contributor

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was listening to vinyl last night at a HiFi store and it was by far the best I have heard of any music on any system. I was absolutely blown away.

Oops, April fools was 8 days ago. Sorry :p

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I've mentioned, people often give their reasons for getting in to vinyl on the reddit vinyl forum, which has a constant influx of people just discovering or getting in to (or back in to) vinyl, as well as veterans.

The reasons very often mirror ones that I've cited for myself and others.

Here's two such examples from a thread "What Got You In To Vinyl?"

Keep in mind (those triggered by these things), that the point of this is how listening to vinyl affects the listening experience for SOME people in this way. Of course, not all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/1bysv3g

Vinyl has been a recent venture of mine, and many others in recent years. An older gentleman was reminiscing with me about the days of vinyl in a record store the other day and asked me why I got into it.

My reasoning varies a bit, one essentially being because everything is so quick and ‘doom scrolly’ these days, I only ever see singles released that are designed to be played alongside viral content and generate income. Larger, more thought out projects are harder to come by (especially concept albums)/not pushed as much by algorithms.

I noticed my releationship with music was just in a constant chase to satisfy an itch, I soon found myself with hours upon hours of singles on Spotify that I couldn’t even recall the name of. So I just wanted to slow things down a bit and get a feel and understanding to what I’m actually listening to. I was also gifted ELO’s out of the blue on vinyl by a friend that had two copies, and would be silly to have just one vinyl… and nothing to play them on.
Whether vinyl (quality wise) is superior, I don’t know enough really, but I guess vinyl adds a mindful process in the physical element, and owning large graphical pieces that act as an investment that your kids can play.

Everyone’s journey differs, I was curious as to what reasons other people had, feel free to share below. Thanks for reading

Another:

Well, since Spotify came along, I stopped buying music and listened solely on spotify and youtube. What I found myself do is constantly listen to music and not appreciating the art behind it. It was no conscious listening experience. That's what I noticed when I saw my absurd number of hours listened to spotify on my annual spotify highlights. About a year ago I, then, decided to get myself a REGA P2 turntable and a pair of nice speakers. I'm blown away. Music is art. This art I can now appreciate again. I sit down to consciously listen to music almost everyday in the evening. I canceled most of my other subscriptions as well and fell into a music and listening bubble. I do use Spotify; however, I try not to listen to music I have on vinyl, so the experience remains special. I love it and want to continue doing that. A concious approach to music as an artform.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I've mentioned, people often give their reasons for getting in to vinyl on the reddit vinyl forum, which has a constant influx of people just discovering or getting in to (or back in to) vinyl, as well as veterans.

The reasons very often mirror ones that I've cited for myself and others.

Here's two such examples from a thread "What Got You In To Vinyl?"

Keep in mind (those triggered by these things), that the point of this is how listening to vinyl affects the listening experience for SOME people in this way. Of course, not all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/1bysv3g

Vinyl has been a recent venture of mine, and many others in recent years. An older gentleman was reminiscing with me about the days of vinyl in a record store the other day and asked me why I got into it.

My reasoning varies a bit, one essentially being because everything is so quick and ‘doom scrolly’ these days, I only ever see singles released that are designed to be played alongside viral content and generate income. Larger, more thought out projects are harder to come by (especially concept albums)/not pushed as much by algorithms.

I noticed my releationship with music was just in a constant chase to satisfy an itch, I soon found myself with hours upon hours of singles on Spotify that I couldn’t even recall the name of. So I just wanted to slow things down a bit and get a feel and understanding to what I’m actually listening to. I was also gifted ELO’s out of the blue on vinyl by a friend that had two copies, and would be silly to have just one vinyl… and nothing to play them on.
Whether vinyl (quality wise) is superior, I don’t know enough really, but I guess vinyl adds a mindful process in the physical element, and owning large graphical pieces that act as an investment that your kids can play.

Everyone’s journey differs, I was curious as to what reasons other people had, feel free to share below. Thanks for reading

Another:

Well, since Spotify came along, I stopped buying music and listened solely on spotify and youtube. What I found myself do is constantly listen to music and not appreciating the art behind it. It was no conscious listening experience. That's what I noticed when I saw my absurd number of hours listened to spotify on my annual spotify highlights. About a year ago I, then, decided to get myself a REGA P2 turntable and a pair of nice speakers. I'm blown away. Music is art. This art I can now appreciate again. I sit down to consciously listen to music almost everyday in the evening. I canceled most of my other subscriptions as well and fell into a music and listening bubble. I do use Spotify; however, I try not to listen to music I have on vinyl, so the experience remains special. I love it and want to continue doing that. A concious approach to music as an artform.
I'm only kidding and testing you to make sure you, The Faithful Defender of Vinyl, is not dozing off and is indeed on your toes. :D

Defend, defend, defend my lord.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool, but I think I missed the "test?"

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vinyl sales are increasing because people like me, and not like me, are buying them for similar/different reasons from me. Her is my latest:
IMG_1712.jpeg

Top Bottom