• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 353 75.8%

• Total voters

beeface

Sorry if this has been covered but how long is the PSU's cable? I'd hope that it would be long enough to be easily hidden behind furniture

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry if this has been covered but how long is the PSU's cable? I'd hope that it would be long enough to be easily hidden behind furniture
The power supply shown in Amir's pictures (JYH23Z-4800500-BF) has a fixed, 116.5cm long DC cable.
51PO9ZFF8eL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

However it is unclear which power supply Fosi Audio will end up bundling with the V3 Mono when it will be launched on April 20th.

It may be the same power supply that Amir got with his unit, it may be another.

beeface

The power supply shown in Amir's pictures (JYH23Z-4800500-BF) has a fixed, 116.5cm long DC cable.

However it is unclear which power supply Fosi Audio will end up bundling with the V3 Mono when it will be launched on April 20th.

It may be the same power supply that Amir got with his unit, it may be another.
Hmm I reckon 2 metres minimum would have been best if the power supply dwarfs the amp itself. Cable slack is a non negotiable

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmm I reckon 2 metres minimum would have been best if the power supply dwarfs the amp itself. Cable slack is a non negotiable
I haven't seen this type of power supply come with much longer cable. There can be losses if you go too long.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen this type of power supply come with much longer cable. There can be losses if you go too long.
How robust is the power connector retention?

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Losses at 48V DC and 5A are negligible.

I don't know the exact wire gauge used, but with 16awg as an example, you'd drop roughly 0.15V per meter. So at the amp socket you'd get 47.85 or so w/ the current cable, and close to 47.5V with a 3 meter cable. Hardly a concern.

Voltage drop can be a concern on automobile amplifiers, where the voltage is 4X lower and current 10x higher, and the amplifiers are voltage sensitive around the 12V threshold. But in this V3 Mono scenario, where the amps are stable and function fine far below 48V (albeit with some slight power output loss), the less-than-1V voltage drop over a power supply cord would be immaterial.

I suspect the cord length is determined more on perceived use case requirement, and/or costs, than any concern over losses.

dzerig

Is it clear from looking at the power draw of the various doohickeys that one power brick will power 2 amplifiers as cleanly as Amir measures with 1 amplifier? And how do you connect two amplifiers to the brick?

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Losses at 48V DC and 5A are negligible.

I don't know the exact wire gauge used, but with 16awg as an example, you'd drop roughly 0.15V per meter. So at the amp socket you'd get 47.85 or so w/ the current cable, and close to 47.5V with a 3 meter cable. Hardly a concern.
You can make an extension cord from 18 or 16 AWG zip cord. Appropriate male and female connectors are available inexpensively and require no soldering -- I've been using them for years.

s-l500.jpg

Talisman

Forum Donor
You can make an extension cord from 18 or 16 AWG zip cord. Appropriate male and female connectors are available inexpensively and require no soldering -- I've been using them for years.

s-l500.jpg
In reality, if the power connector is the classic 5.5/2.1 that is generally found in their products, there are already ready-made extensions on Amazon
Screenshot_20240404_043718_edit_29695374881221.jpg

Toslink

Forum Donor
It's more likely a 2.5mm x 5.5mm, a format I've seen in higher power low-voltage DC applications. But, this is just speculation on my part. Perhaps Amir can chime in here based on his review sample.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

s-l500.jpg

It's more likely a 2.5mm x 5.5mm, a format I've seen in higher power low-voltage DC applications. But, this is just speculation on my part. Perhaps Amir can chime in here based on his review sample.
Yup, that's the typical chip amp power connector spec.

Golf

As it is unclear whether the then purchasable amp itself will be different from a certain pre-launch unit reviewed by Amir.

brunes

Amazing performance for the price. Most measurements are not SOTA, but are close.
Not trying to be inflammatory, genueinly interested... where are the differences or what needs to be improved? Is it across everything, Just more power?
Better power vs distortion or more stable reactive load?

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Question for Fosi Audio (or anyone else who happens to know): Are those 2200mFd 63VDC electrolytic capacitors connected in shunt across the incoming DC to provide additional filtering/reservoir effect or do they reside elsewhere in the circuit?

Top Bottom