• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 94 20.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 351 76.0%

• Total voters

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My question too, as I’ve pencilled in a system based on the PA5 II and upcoming WiiM Ultra.

You know the WiiM Amp was so highly rated, apart from the amp could have been a bit better? I think the Ultra and this look set to be the high end ‘problem solved’ version of the WiiM Amp.
The previous WiiM(s?) seem to have a crosstalk issue when the analog input used, which would defeat one of the major purposes of using two mono power amps -- assuming you're planning to use an analog source, I'd wait to confirm that this issue is solved in the "Ultra" before buying one.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The previous WiiM(s?) seem to have a crosstalk issue when the analog input used, which would defeat one of the major purposes of using two mono power amps -- assuming you're planning to use an analog source, I'd wait to confirm that this issue is solved in the "Ultra" before buying one.

No, that part wasn't for me - I'll be totally digital.

Thanks anyway.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something to do with the browser flavour - Chrome fails to display the Fosi home page and other pages correctly (at least on this laptop!); Firefox + its derivatives seem to show all pages correctly but still missing the early bird discount link !!

However, using Firefox on an Android tablet both the "early bird discount form" and the "support us on Kickstarter (Pending)" tabs were showing. Not confident that the discount form was actually sent, or maybe sent several times.

Obviously a difference between mobile and PC web pages but please sort out these software bugs!!
Using Safari on iOS, the button is there. The pop-up form has some rendering issues, but I was able to complete it and submit it without difficulty.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something to do with the browser flavour - Chrome fails to display the Fosi home page and other pages correctly (at least on this laptop!); Firefox + its derivatives seem to show all pages correctly but still missing the early bird discount link !!

However, using Firefox on an Android tablet both the "early bird discount form" and the "support us on Kickstarter (Pending)" tabs were showing. Not confident that the discount form was actually sent, or maybe sent several times.

Obviously a difference between mobile and PC web pages but please sort out these software bugs!!
Strange that Chrome is having problems as the pop up form is a Google Form.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll save my $ until the final commercial version is available... these seem a prototype? In the meantime, top approval!

mike70

I’d love to throw a pair of these in a very expensive looking case (pass etc)at a audiophile show,and watch the toe tapping head nodders lose their shit when they see what’s inside after it had finished.

LOL ... if that happens, only let me know to enjoy it personally

Bleib

Major Contributor
I’d love to throw a pair of these in a very expensive looking case (pass etc)at a audiophile show,and watch the toe tapping head nodders lose their shit when they see what’s inside after it had finished.
Oh. I bet you could use 320kbit mp3 files and fool everyone into thinking they are listening to 24bit high-res audio.

lxg208

E
Lucky dude!

Looks like the early bird discount form has disappeared from the link given by Fosi.

Does this mean the current production run is (1) already oversubscribed based on early bird responses; (2) there will be no Kickstarter options; (3) going by the ZA3 pre-order history there will be a looo . . . . . ng wait for the next batch to become available ???
FOSI's website has some issue with zooming, if you magnify the page, you won't be able to see the link.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering what the deal is with all these ginormous amps, why would anyone want a big box in the middle of their living room when you could just stash an amplifier that's as small as possible in the bookshelf?
I can answer that from my perspective. Audio equipment for me is also a display of art, it adds to the ambience giving visual and tactile satisfaction. . .and it helps that I have the space for it.

As examples, look at these two amps, stunning beauty, yes, it costs more and that is not the purpose of these Fosi as they are meant for the budget friendly. . .I get it.

Anyway, let me stop before I get a warning for veering off topic.

AYHAAS2200S__86384.1661869053.jpg
4-4-1200x900.webp

mike70

I can answer that from my perspective. Audio equipment for me is also a display of art, it adds to the ambience giving visual and tactile satisfaction. . .and it helps that I have the space for it.

As examples, look at these two amps, stunning beauty, yes, it costs more and that is not the purpose of these Fosi as they are meant for the budget friendly. . .I get it.

Anyway, let me stop before I get a warning for veering off topic.

AYHAAS2200S__86384.1661869053.jpg
4-4-1200x900.webp
that amplifiers will work perfectly as the Fossi ... is only a matter of paying for beauty. And is totally right, is your money.
what i feel "wrong" is to get a bank loan / mortgage to pay for an amplifier that sounds the same.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
that amplifiers will work perfectly as the Fossi ... is only a matter of paying for beauty. And is totally right, is your money.
what i feel "wrong" is to get a bank loan / mortgage to pay for an amplifier that sounds the same.
I agree that people shouldn't take a loan out for audio equipment, but that is just me speaking and those who do, it's their right and decision of course.

But when I was younger and I was looking for a girlfriend, I could of just went after any girl, they all have the same female anatomy right, so what difference does it make?

But yet, I wanted a good looking girlfriend with 34-24-34. Just sayin' :D

Reactions: JC!

Sokel

Master Contributor
In the mono vs stereo dilemma and everything else being equal I would choose monos in a heartbeat given that their case size is similar or only a little larger for the stereo.
Why?
Just to get a little extra heat dissipating area out of the monos.
Anyone who have seen TI's datasheet about efficiency,thermals,etc will know why,I posted it in the stereo version thread.

Last edited:

VQR

We need some brave, under-the-radar member to do this. Can't have the plan be too public. :p

pma

Major Contributor
There is essentially no impact up to 20 kHz between the 4 and 8 ohm indicating very low output impedance, albeit with a bit of peaking. Compare that
Pity you do not measure complex output impedance, instead of those plots into 4/8 Ohms. R + jwL output impedance would tell much more.

Other than that, 19+20kHz result is poor, as well as distortion at higher frequencies.

Golf

is only a matter of paying for beauty

Visual beauty, that is. Speaking of which, take a close look at the »Fozzy Bear« side panels of the V3 mono. They may make another reason for hiding that device inside a drawer or something.

T&T

I will wait until they place a loudness control... lol . Just kidding,
I wait until they sold without that power supply, because I already have some.

Top Bottom