• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Doobrey

Something I’m struggling to understand is why my system sounds much better when playing vinyl when compared to digital using the same album master. Yes the vinyl is a digital master from the CD so it’s essentially a slow spinning silver disc with worse specs but when level matched and comparing the two the vinyl sounds much more pleasant and smoother on the ears.

The ESS9038 is used in my amplifier with the linear fast filter enabled. The turntable is a rega with nagaoka cartridge.

Comparing the two the digital sounds a bit clearer and more detailed but it’s also quite harsh and after one CD I’ve had enough but with the “analogue” record I can listen to it on repeat so what gives?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Record both and upload the recordings here, then we can tell you more.

deweydm

Something I’m struggling to understand is why my system sounds much better when playing vinyl when compared to digital using the same album master. Yes the vinyl is a digital master from the CD so it’s essentially a slow spinning silver disc with worse specs but when level matched and comparing the two the vinyl sounds much more pleasant and smoother on the ears.

The ESS9038 is used in my amplifier with the linear fast filter enabled. The turntable is a rega with nagaoka cartridge.

Comparing the two the digital sounds a bit clearer and more detailed but it’s also quite harsh and after one CD I’ve had enough but with the “analogue” record I can listen to it on repeat so what gives?
Tone control? Try notching the treble down a bit?

Last edited:

Doobrey

Record both and upload the recordings here, then we can tell you more.
I have no way of recording unfortunately so I can’t show you that. My cartridge and phono stage measure flat so I wouldn’t expect a massive roll off in the treble for example being responsible

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Is it just this one CD, do others sound OK?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something I’m struggling to understand is why my system sounds much better when playing vinyl when compared to digital using the same album master.

Find me a case where the MASTERING (not just the master source) is exactly the same (within audible limits) for the digital and the vinyl.

You pretty much cannot for a commercial release, since vinyl typically has its own mastering requirements to ensure non-catastrophic playback.

The only sure way to achieve identical vinyl vs mastering , then, is to digitize the vinyl. And even then, it only works 'for sure' for one TT/cart/pre rig.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have no way of recording unfortunately so I can’t show you that. My cartridge and phono stage measure flat so I wouldn’t expect a massive roll off in the treble for example being responsible
do you have a phone?

Robin L

Master Contributor

It's likely that the LP playback has less treble. I went to a record shop last Friday, looking for Classical CDs. The shop only had a handful of Classical guitar CDs, most of the rest of the CD stock was Rock. The store was mostly LPs, all used. A record was playing on a Technics 1200 DJ 'table with an Ortofon OM series cartridge. The electronics were some 1980s receiver, a small one. The speakers were big Sony floorstanders. I would guess the speakers are very efficient. There was barely any surface noise, and the sound was surprisingly good. If I paid close attention, I would notice some distortion. But I suspect that the cartridge has a rolled off treble region, much like the Shure 97xe cartridges I used to use. I only listen to CDs now and some might find the sound harsh, but I the find the sound mostly accurate and detailed for the classical music I listen to. My experience with LP playback is that it is mostly (not always) smoothed out on top.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Something I’m struggling to understand is why my system sounds much better when playing vinyl when compared to digital using the same album master. …Comparing the two the digital sounds a bit clearer and more detailed but it’s also quite harsh and after one CD I’ve had enough but with the “analogue” record I can listen to it on repeat so what gives?
It’s very easy to understand. There are various possible reasons, any one or combination of which can lead to your perception.
  • Cognitive bias. There are numerous types, so can act individually or in combination. Some are conscious but many are unconscious, so don’t make the mistake of thinking you can’t be biased for vinyl just because you are not aware of it. The proof is in the pudding. ;)
  • “Same album master”…really? It’s hard to be sure. The two biggest issues are deliberately compressed dynamics on CD (mainly for pop-rock-etc genres), and tailored frequency responses for records. Try a classical recording comparison to minimise the former. Measure the spectrum energy of a track to check the latter.
  • Speakers chosen by listening to records. This was a big issue in the early days of CD. A few people still do it. The result is inevitable.
  • Unbalanced home audio sound. CD delivers the full audible spectrum energy, including deep bass and high treble. Home audio systems, however, often have boosted treble ('showroom sound') and/or mismanaged bass (unequalised, full of lumps and holes, missing lowest octaves which also makes the treble sound unbalanced). The net result, playing clean, full spectrum energy CD sound, can be ugly. If one's home audio sound is at that level, then the softening effect of records at the extremes can be an advantage, just by 'taking bad away'.
Your struggle is over. ;)

PS if debate ensues on the above points, you will understand the unnecessary length of this thread. Search the thread for prior coverage.

Victor Martell

"There is nothing really mysterious about records. You have preference, nostalgia and ego-stroking. These cover all aspects of the renaissance. It only fails to explain a casual "every-now-and-then" listener who is not a part of the renaissance anyway."

There are many ways to enjoy this hobby, come to terms with it instead of projecting your own BS onto it.

You should have stopped with "preference." The rest just made you sound vapid.

Occasionally coming back to the thread to see how it has moved... not much! :D

Great post Anton D - Again, what part of "I just like it" bothers peeps around here? nobody is gonna be convinced to do the opposite of what they prefer nor are we saying anything is better. Some peeps just want other's to prefer what they prefer and rationalize that desire in order to try not appear tyrannical. IMHO, once I say, "no reason; I just like it" without claiming any superiority... end of discussion! :D

So opting out of thread - later, see you in a few months. Maybe :D

Newman

Major Contributor
…Great post Anton D - ... opting out of thread - later, see you in a few months. Maybe :D
Yeah, he got banned. Glad you think his posts are so great.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yeah, he got banned. Glad you think his posts are so great.
I didn't see where Anton D got banned, nor could I see any good reason why he should be.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't see where Anton D got banned, nor could I see any good reason why he should be.

I seem to remember him getting some grief over a post displaying insufficient veneration/respect of Dr. Toole at one point. I don't know if it ended in a ban, short lived or not.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this thread reports these things to the mods ;-)

(And in any case I think AdamG does a great job overall moderating).

JP

Major Contributor
I seem to remember him getting some grief over a post displaying insufficient veneration/respect of Dr. Toole at one point. I don't know if it ended in a ban, short lived or not.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this thread reports these things to the mods ;-)

(And in any case I think AdamG does a great job overall moderating).

That was someone else, and it was humor that was missed. Neither banned.

Newman

Major Contributor
Quite right. Yet again Matt gets everything wrong, and throws in a snide insinuation to boot. Class.

Newman

Major Contributor
You shouldn’t publicly criticise the actions of mods. That’s a strict no-no.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
That was someone else, and it was humor that was missed. Neither banned.

There was some misconstrued humour from me, yes.

But my interpretation—I may be wrong—of this post and the "oops" result when looking them up is that Anton D was most likely banned from the forum altogether.

Top Bottom