• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile and Audio Cables

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For sure! Thank you. The clincher is her degree included criminology and she was a habitual criminal and never even saw the relationship between her acts and criminology. She blatantly created excuses and eventually was caught red handed at my well paying workplace with 3 stolen prerecorded cassette tapes in her purse as she left the building... I was so bloody red faced frustrated when the 2 managers that I knew and loved dearly brought me to the executive meeting room to tell me about it. I almost had a heart attack at a very young age right then and there. That was the downfall right then and there. Sigh* :D They never fired me because it was so obvious I was heartbroken that they told me off the record that there was a few women that would appreciate me and told me to get rid of her ASAP. What a day it was! :D

She told me most people who went into psychology were crazy themselves. I replied with "No comment".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
She told me most people who went into psychology were crazy themselves. I replied with "No comment".
There is a element of truth to that statement. It is advantageous for say a homeless person to return to study and become a social worker for example however for other stuff it is awkward.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
No. I don't just guess, myself. I already explained how I sift out more reliable accounts from others. And I've found many reviews far from useless, in fact plenty have been quite helpful and led to highly satisfying purchases. A tool is only useful if you decide to use it. You needn't lift a finger to do so...

(and let that baby slide down to the sewers...:) )
Sift out. Sounds like guessing. Baby with the bath water is a terrible analogy. If you have 2 glasses of water in front of you, one is salt water the other isn't how do you pick the right one with out tasting it. Thats what these reviews come down to. I (and almost everyone but you) have to guess if the reviewer actually heard a difference or he's just making things up AGAIN.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have issues with psychology theories, stances and my past relationships with people bearing a education in psy stuff. My first wife had a uni degree in psy stuff and she could be very tricky to deal with in some basic life matters because I am analytical but very empathetic and sometimes too accepting to a fault and she to a fault used her psy education to determine things about peoples' past and future. I have determined that some psy ideas are better than the alternatives and I use psy reasoning to make decisions and try to be a better person but it has it limits and is not a exact science like say, The Principles of Electron Flow or even Digital Fundamentals as I mentioned earlier and other very defined and exacting accurate subjects. I commend you on your very broad palette of psy ideas and techniques for explaining people but I thing you overdo the stuff to a fault and in the case of Stereophile authors etc you are too kind towards them.

Cool!

My two cents :D. I want to impart more analytical stuff into you but you are apparently not a willing subject... :D

Perhaps. Admittedly I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to impart more analytical stuff. Especially as the topic has been people's motivations/honesty.

To give you a quick picture of where I'm coming from on this subject: Since the 80's I've been fascinated with weird beliefs and the skeptical cases against them. Everything from Big Foot, Alien Abductions, Ghosts, parapsychology, New Age beliefs, you name it. This brought me in to much contact with people who believe things most of us would think to be nuts or irrational. I also got deep in to the subjects of skepticism vs....uh...something I'm not allowed to name here...philosophy, the philosophy of science, debates with people promoting Intelligent Design, and many other things. I've done podcast debates with highly intelligent people who I think are believing in things I find utterly irrational. So I'm coming from tons of experience of interaction with these belief systems and individuals. And my personal take-away mirrors what I've read about the psychology: plenty of highly intelligent people sincerely believe wild things you'd think someone intelligent couldn't believe. I had some neighbours who were highly intelligent, highly moral people, perfectly functional and not crazy, but who believed in ghosts and believed they saw them all over the place.

There's also the experience of debating in general. Whether it happens to be, say, with another philosophy nut about Free Will, or even just debating issues about audio gear on forums like this. There are things that can just feel "so obvious" once you believe you've arrived there via reason and from there it makes someone who argues otherwise seem like they MUST be just disingenuous. I mean...you've pointed out the errors in their thinking plenty of times, so it MUST be some defect in psychology, like their dishonesty. They know better you've shown them plenty of times! In this very forum I've been characterized as lying and disingenuous when I know very well I'm defending ideas I really believe. And it's likely others have had the same experience. Because that's just how it often SEEMS to each side in a cantankerous dispute.

Further, many years ago I was involved for a little while reviewing gear, and knew lots of people in that industry. I don't do it any more, but I still know reviewers and regularly have insight in to behind the scenes. So I'm not ignorant or naive about this. I know stuff that makes me shake my head at the ethics involved, but the bad stuff does not seem to predominate, and mostly I see people doing their best to be above board, have some ethics, and generally write what they believe.

So I take all this to heart when it comes down to evaluating the probability of someone being honest or dishonest who is defending things I think are nonsense, in general, and with audio reviewing in particular.

What do you have to impart that is more analytical on this subject? What am I obviously missing here?

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sift out. Sounds like guessing.

No, it should be obvious I used the term in this well known sense:

Definition:

Sift: "examine (something) thoroughly so as to isolate that which is most important or useful."

I already explained that I could see reviews that corresponded to measurements, and reviewers whose descriptions tended to correspond well with my own impressions of the same speakers. That's not merely random "guessing."

DMill

Forum Donor
Doesn't intelligence require some degree of logical thinking?
It kind of depends on where we apply our logic. Steve Jobs wore a black t-shirt every day cause he didn’t want to be bothered thinking about it. There are some that buy cable that could care less about this discussion and just buy what they are told. Not necessarily a sign of intelligence, just a sign of not being that interested if a $10 cable does what a $10000 cable does.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been fascinated with weird beliefs and the skeptical cases against them. Everything from Big Foot, Alien Abductions, Ghosts, parapsychology, New Age beliefs, you name it. This brought me in to much contact with people who believe things most of us would think to be nuts or irrational.
I'm like that with old hippy draft dodgers in Canada and their ideas about life that are sometimes more than exotic...LoL.

Thanks for sharing all that stuff. I would enjoy sitting down for a beverage and snacks to talk more and glean unique knowledge about such to me exotic and esoteric stuff but too far away... Lol..
I'm not exactly sure what I have to contribute to you because I don't know what you know. I don't like mansplaining and being a authority of information while seeing peeps eyes roll back in their head from the boredom... gg* :D
What do you do with sound engineering <?> that makes you a expert in technology and theory including audio cables?

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you do with sound engineering <?> that makes you a expert in technology and theory including audio cables?

I'm not inclined to consider myself an expert in anything.

Sure as heck not in audio cables! I'm frankly pretty terrible with electrical theory. For some reason my brain just doesn't grok it very well. So I attempt to triangulate and infer from the debates I see between more knowledgeable people. Just like I don't need to be an expert in physics to know that someone's claim they saw a perpetual motion machine is implausible. I know at least that physicists say that's impossible. Just a layman trying to see what is sensible. (Oh..I do sound design for film and TV. That doesn't qualify me as an electronics expert though).

But I don't think I need to be an EE to easily spot bogus and dubious claims in regards to cables. I know the claims made are disputed by relevant experts, and that they do not provide the relevant evidence for their claims.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Possible. I still lean toward crook.
As do I,
These are intelligent people with advanced educations.
They're laughing at the gullible subjectivists all the way to the bank.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
To give you a quick picture of where I'm coming from on this subject: Since the 80's I've been fascinated with weird beliefs and the skeptical cases against them. Everything from Big Foot, Alien Abductions, Ghosts, parapsychology, New Age beliefs, you name it.

I am very skeptical about all that kind of stuff.

I don't believe in Big Foot and know they don't exist, but I have seen what appeared to be one in real life. Unfortunately I was driving by myself. I tell myself it had to be a deformed 8 to 10 foot tall bear (it was standing next to a stop sign when my headlights hit it) that stood, walked and ran upright. That was just north of Fouke, Arkansas back in the 80s.

I don't believe that it is possible for Pterodactyls to still exist, but saw one standing on a bridge apparently eating something while we were driving. My most recent ex-wife and her son were with me and both also saw it and freaked out. It took off as we got within about 50 yards of the bridge. It was medium gray, looked just like the pictures I have seen and had a wingspan long enough to cover two lanes of the highway. When taking off, it jumped at least 6 feet high and then started flapping instead of doing a running start. This bridge was in my county in southeast Oklahoma.

I have no way to explain that one and know it isn't possible for us to have really seen one. I looked it up after we got home and apparently many people claim to have seen one. So it was a big WTF?

Seeing something is not proof that it exists. Our eyes can obviously fool us and make us think we are seeing one thing when it has to be something else. I can still clearly picture both the "Big Foot" and "Pterodactyl" that I "saw".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seeing something is not proof that it exists. Our eyes can obviously fool us and make us think we are seeing one thing when it has to be something else. I can still clearly picture both the "Big Foot" and "Pterodactyl" that I "saw".
I've seen all sort of stuff like that.
The drugs were the best back then. :p

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Sift out. Sounds like guessing. Baby with the bath water is a terrible analogy. If you have 2 glasses of water in front of you, one is salt water the other isn't how do you pick the right one with out tasting it. Thats what these reviews come down to. I (and almost everyone but you) have to guess if the reviewer actually heard a difference or he's just making things up AGAIN.

Personally I’d take a small amount of the fresh water into a pipete (we all carry those for such eventualities don’t we?) add a teeny amount of dye and squirt into both glasses, if it separates and floats on top then that’s salt water, ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not inclined to consider myself an expert in anything.
Au contraire... You are expert in the matters of English communication and it's operational use. Whether you admit it or not you take on multiples simultaneously making it challenging for those peeps that participate.
I'm frankly pretty terrible with electrical theory.
I had zerO ideas about what I was getting into when I took on the electronics study. I was absolutely ignorant while desperate to understand at the least some of it. It's been a hOOT! I simply placed faith in the process and did as I was instructed (Loved all my instructors even the army one that apparently disliked me. So cool.) and things worked out pretty good.
For some reason my brain just doesn't grok it very well.
That reminds me of biology study... It's all just draining.
Oh..I do sound design for film and TV.
I'm sure there are many transferable skills, techniques and ideas that include technology in that field of employment. I hung out with musician entertainment friends which for some reason I don't understand accept me in their groups and took me into studios and working sets and saw whatever they do in those places and found it fascinating and the technology was ace and some really cool electronics boxes around to drool upon.
But I don't think I need to be an EE to easily spot bogus and dubious claims in regards to cables.
Nope, you don't need a understanding of electron flow to fill in some of the blanks although it sure makes a huge difference if one has that. That's where this all ties together and the rubber meets the road and why peeps here are so adamant about the situation regarding Stereophile and it's access to the general public as working experts while tainting the entire industry.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nope, you don't need a understanding of electron flow to fill in some of the blanks although it sure makes a huge difference if one has that. That's where this all ties together and the rubber meets the road and why peeps here are so adamant about the situation regarding Stereophile and it's access to the general public as working experts while tainting the entire industry.
There ya go Dood, I wasn't sure you were getting it. :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very skeptical about all that kind of stuff.

I don't believe in Big Foot and know they don't exist, but I have seen what appeared to be one in real life. Unfortunately I was driving by myself. I tell myself it had to be a deformed 8 to 10 foot tall bear (it was standing next to a stop sign when my headlights hit it) that stood, walked and ran upright. That was just north of Fouke, Arkansas back in the 80s.

I don't believe that it is possible for Pterodactyls to still exist, but saw one standing on a bridge apparently eating something while we were driving. My most recent ex-wife and her son were with me and both also saw it and freaked out. It took off as we got within about 50 yards of the bridge. It was medium gray, looked just like the pictures I have seen and had a wingspan long enough to cover two lanes of the highway. When taking off, it jumped at least 6 feet high and then started flapping instead of doing a running start. This bridge was in my county in southeast Oklahoma.

I have no way to explain that one and know it isn't possible for us to have really seen one. I looked it up after we got home and apparently many people claim to have seen one. So it was a big WTF?

That's outrageous and I'm really in a far out state of mind that you explained that stuff. Just Wow! I have never seen anything like that in my travels but I've been sooper spooked before when alone out in the Canadian boonies and hearing stuff and everything is exaggerated when alone day and night out there. For example I had a freaked out huge German Shepherd that I trained/gave permission to fight and be a bush dog. He was terrified and something was in the bush and he wanted to go in the opposite direction but I forced it due to me being armed with a 303. I eventually was very freaked out too because the place was so spooky, I trusted my dog's intuition and reaction so we booked outta there ASAP and got down the mountain into the open areas where it felt safe. I have no idea what it was but there are lotsa cougars, grizzlies, black bears and assorted weasel family beasties out there. I never ever went to that place again... The region is steeped in alternative ideas and reputed to have Big Foot and some other legendary urban rumor stuff.

Top Bottom