• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

mellowflight

Curious how there seems to be such a difference in hiss and coil whine between products. Mine is absolutely silent.
You hear no hiss at all?

I’m ready to pull the trigger on these but I’m very sensitive to amplifier hiss!

Also any sort of coil whine would be really annoying… I had that issue with a few pairs of iLoud MTM’s I had.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Curious how there seems to be such a difference in hiss and coil whine between products. Mine is absolutely silent.

From what I seen of coil whine emitted from GPUs seems to be a luck of the draw matter too, even when it comes to the same exact model.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I think it would be possible to perform a small hack on the terminal connections to the secondary speakers and hook up a subwoofer that accepts speaker-level inputs.
You'd only be driving the sub with one channel -- and the woofer channel might even be high-passed to protect the little driver.

Last edited:

Slimer

When it’s connected with USB there is no hiss at all while the speaker is idle. But start playing some music and then pause it and you can hear a bit of hiss as the speaker is now awake. It’s very mild though, I tried other powered monitors that had way more noticeable hiss.

szrot

I guess there are some disagreements on whether the USB would change anything, but it could be the Windows drivers are just not very good causing some minor sound degradation.
I can agree with that. I noticed a very clear difference when listening to the Q-Acoustics M20 via USB and with an external DAC, of course in favor of the better quality of the external ESS Saber DAC. It was impossible to listen to the M20 with pleasure on the internal DAC. The difference was very, very big. And I really realize that from a technical point of view there shouldn't be that much of a difference, but I can't fool my hearing :)

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Replacement pair received. No hiss, no whine, no odd clicks or static when connected via USB-C on start/pause/scrolling through cuts when using Foobar2000 in WASAPI exclusive mode or YouTube videos in a browser.

Last edited:

ninetylol

Replacement pair received. No hiss, no whine, no odd clicks or static when connected via USB-C on start/pause/scrolling through cuts when using Foobar2000 in WASAPI exclusive mode or YouTube videos in a browser.
Kali support is awesome!

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I verified with a DVM that there is nothing odd about how the conductors in the main-slave cable are connected to the Phoenix connectors should someone decide to use some other bulk 4 conductor cable to extend it to better fit their particular installation. The printing on the cable jacket shows that it's 18AWG.

Both sides are the same left to right. A on one end is connected to A on the other, etc. etc.

1710193021904.png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Bluetooth codecs supported?

Per the Kali Audio customer service manager:

The onboard BT module of both LP-UNF and MVBT is actually the same. The unit supports AptX, AptX-HD, AptX Low Latency, SBC as well as AAC Bluetooth codecs.

Liopleus

Per the Kali Audio customer service manager:

The onboard BT module of both LP-UNF and MVBT is actually the same. The unit supports AptX, AptX-HD, AptX Low Latency, SBC as well as AAC Bluetooth codecs.

That's not good news considering how bad the MV-BT measured: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-bt-review-balanced-bluetooth-receiver.21083/

Unless the performance of the bluetooth module is improved greatly by firmware, it would be better to use external Bluetooth DAC for wireless usage.

Kali has great acoustic and amplifier design but their digital/wireless stuff might need some work.

er|κzvio1in

You'd only be driving the sub with one channel -- and the woofer channel might even be high-passed to protect the little driver.
I would think most mixers put the same lower bass in the left and right channels, effectively making it mono below 80-100 hz to avoid playback & phase issues.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Kali has great acoustic and amplifier design but their digital/wireless stuff might need some work.
...or a better offshore supplier -- but, you're right, Kali has exceptional, highly experienced talent when it comes to driver/enclosure and amp/DSP design. That's their wheelhouse and they haven't done nearly as well when they step outside it.

Top Bottom