• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kali Audio monitor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We got one pair in and now they are back ordered. I really liked them and wanted to get more time with them as well as do some comparison with Genelec/Neumann. My initial impression was these are going to compete with the Ones from Genelec. The Ones are my favorite speakers to work with, so that says a lot.

I'd add that they seem to play louder than the 8331 so I'll be curious to see what the measurements show, as the active versions would likely have been my choice for my 5.1 system had they existed prior to me building it out with Genelec coaxial monitors.

Vs an 8341, the Kali SM5 seems like it would beat it SPL and price, and I didn't notice any audible issues with the SM5.

Someone else mentioned a center channel: the beauty of coaxial monitors like these are that they are all center channel speakers, and Atmos speakers, and surround speakers, and decent if you have to tilt them from the ceiling, and not terrible with reflections in any direction like any other speaker that isn't coaxial.

Ever since 2010 and the 8260 there has been no inherent drawback to coaxial monitors besides SPL. Ever since 2023 with the 8381 SPL is also not a concern as that speaker seems to beat the M2 by every metric.

You could argue wide dispersion is a disadvantage, but I don't think that is inherent to a coaxial driver per sey, as you can make things whatever shape is desired and limit excursion on a three way.

(I'm taking the photo, this is at the LP UNF release party in northern LA. They have an immersive room that my friend shown here and I spent a good bit of time in.)
1000001133.jpg

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'd add that they seem to play louder than the 8331 so I'll be curious to see what the measurements show, as the active versions would likely have been my choice for my 5.1 system had they existed prior to me building it out with Genelec coaxial monitors.

Vs an 8341, the Kali may just beat it.

Someone else mentioned a center channel: the beauty of coaxial monitors like these are that they are all center channel speakers, and Atmos speakers, and surround speakers, and decent if you have to tilt them from the ceiling, and not terrible with reflections in any direction like any other speaker that isn't coaxial.

Ever since 2010 and the 8260 there has been no inherent drawback to coaxial monitors besides SPL. Ever since 2023 with the 8381 SPL is also not a concern as that speaker seems to beat the M2 by every metric.

You could argue wide dispersion is a disadvantage, but I don't think that is inherent to a coaxial driver per sey, as you can make things whatever shape is desired and limit excursion on a three way.

(I'm taking the photo, this is at the LP UNF release party in northern LA. They have an immersive room that my friend shown here and I spent a good bit of time in.)
View attachment 349424
How is it better than 8341?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is it better than 8341?
SPL and price wise. 117dB vs 110dB, and significantly cheaper. Sorry, didn't clarify that was following up from the prior paragraph on loudness.

Curious to see measurements though to see which is more accurate.

Pritaudio

5 inch woofers aren’t ideal. 6.5 inch to 8 inch required. Also passive crossovers at different volumes mean external dsp might not translate well for frequency response Settings. Subwoofer required.

Curvature

Major Contributor
5 inch woofers aren’t ideal. 6.5 inch to 8 inch required. Also passive crossovers at different volumes mean external dsp might not translate well for frequency response Settings. Subwoofer required.
Opinion based on zero measurements of this speaker?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I don't think this speaker has a passive crossover. There are 4 conductors going to the second speaker. To me that means active but the amps are on the first speaker for both speakers. Also states they are bi-amped.

OP
A

AM88

I don't think this speaker has a passive crossover. There are 4 conductors going to the second speaker. To me that means active but the amps are on the first speaker for both speakers. Also states they are bi-amped.
I think there is a passive crossover for the midrange and tweeter. As it is a 3 way but only 2 pairs of speaker connectors…

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What speaker are we talking about here? The Kali SM5C is a fully passive speaker.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What speaker are we talking about here? The Kali SM5C is a fully passive speaker.

There's a picture of the crossovers in their own website. It's actually quite nice that they even give you the option of having "single wire" vs bi-amp.

1707981156973.jpeg

Single Wire vs. Bi-Amped

While Kali recommends bi-amplifying the speakers, single wire use is more convenient and economical. Single wire mode adds a small amount of distortion on from the lower frequency cutoff of the system through 700 Hz vs. Bi-Amped at comparable playback levels. The single wire tuning also introduces a frequency response anomaly at the high end of the loudspeaker’s response, although this may be corrected with full-range room calibration.

Pritaudio

passive crossovers of course. But is there wire connections to allow bypass for external crossover of choice.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I think there is a passive crossover for the midrange and tweeter. As it is a 3 way but only 2 pairs of speaker connectors…
You are correct! Oops, I was thinking I was on the new LP-UNF thread. I did get a chance to test these. I would definitely recommend the Lea amp with them. I did try it with a Parasound amp as well in full passive mode and it is not bad but the DSP settings in the Lea did give it that little extra refinement. What I didn't get a chance to test is using the passive with some kind of room correction in a processor. If I get another chance I can connect them to my Anthem 1140 and run it's ARC room correction and then do another version with Lea amp

dfuller

Major Contributor
Still I'd like to see an active version. Kali hinted at them being a thing but there's been little information.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks.

So the passives are currently selling for US$1000/each.

And the actives will be US$1700/each, coming in May 2024, as per video.

Pritaudio

Vs an 8341, the Kali SM5 seems like it would beat it SPL and price, and I didn't notice any audible issues with the SM5.

View attachment 349424
Have you heard these against Kali existing monitors. Ie. In8 v2 or in5 v2.
do you think that it’s the electronics that is holding them back.

also curious to see the advanced dsp of genelecs not outputting less distortion than the sc5 with amplification.
must mean the digital crossover on genelec is not as important in your case use With room correction.

dziemian

I would be suprised if the passive sm-5-c are selling well. I would neither locate them at home or small studio as they far too complicated to set up. I really cant understand what part of the market they are targeting which active version can not. I would understand passive with internal crossover to compete with rest but I can not understand this business decision. So I am pretty sure before 8 inch version appears they have to start selling them and the reason there has not been many reviews yet may be related with whay I wrote earlier.

Last edited:

neko8018

Can I ues cheap class-D amplifier to power SM-5,like Topping PA7?thank you guys.

Top Bottom