• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

TheLastGerman

1709908273043.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
* i.e., Three Letter Acronyms, much beloved by governments, the military, and many companies (especially larger ones). OK, technically, this one, and most of them one encounters in the field, are in fact TLIs (Three Letter Initialisms) rather than TLAs -- but this may be TMI. ;)
FBI
is an initialism. NASA is an acronym. :cool:

Have you heard of RAS Syndrome? i.e. Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome. Examples are ATM machine, LCD display. There are many examples in the medical field, e.g. FBC count, MRI imaging, USS scan, etc.

If you want some fun, look up what a "capitonym" and a "pleonasm" are.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Have you heard of RAS Syndrome? i.e. Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome. Examples are ATM machine, LCD display. There are many examples in the medical field, e.g. FBC count, MRI imaging, USS scan, etc.

No, I wasn't -- but Big Points on the Scoreboard of Life to you for pointin' them out to me! :)
I'll be regurgitating them across the internet real soon! :cool::facepalm:

Speaking of regurgitating... just saw this on the Polk forums, so I'll leave it here, too, in the form of a digital owl pellet (DOP?).

myfx654zuhlp.png

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nothin' new about TLAs*
Vintage Advertisement 584 - ABC It's For Keeps - Chesterfields_REF by Johnny El-Rady, on Flickr

* i.e., Three Letter Acronyms, much beloved by governments, the military, and many companies (especially larger ones). OK, technically, this one, and most of them one encounters in the field, are in fact TLIs (Three Letter Initialisms) rather than TLAs -- but this may be TMI. ;)
FBI

As a recursive meta bonus, TLA is of course a TLA...

Philbo King

Much like one I saw in MAD Magazine long ago:
DRD Department
(Department of Redundancy Department department)

Neddy

Nothin' new about TLAs*
Vintage Advertisement 584 - ABC It's For Keeps - Chesterfields_REF by Johnny El-Rady, on Flickr

FBI
Or, Five?
L/S/M/F/T
I was told, when I started smoking (around 16), by a WWII vet, that it stood for Loose Straps Mean Flabby Tits.
I got pretty good at flipping those short, unfliltered cigs, inside out (ie, still smoking, inside the mouth) to hide that I was smoking from the bosses.
Chesterfields, though similarly short, were too harsh for me, even back then.
:eek:

KellenVancouver

Must be American. Over here, "C**N" is a derogatory racist term for First Nations Australians, considered as offensive as the "N" word. There was a brand of cheese that was named "C**N" after the guy who invented the recipe, it was rebranded a few years ago.
"Coon" is pretty common in the U.S., perhaps used mostly in the southern states, although being a nickname for raccoon would be understood in all 50. Mostly I hear the term used in association with hound, as in coonhound, a largish dog with long drooping ears that has an amazing sense of smell. So the word's usage is benign as opposed to offensive. That said, if it is used as a derogatory term anywhere the perfectionist ideologues will surely come out of the woodwork to ban its usage.

fatoldgit

So you guys didn't know it was a racoon? I mean bitch is offensive other than when you are referring to female dog. Context matters.

Thanks to B88 for pointing out the obvious.... context matters.

If this was a real product, it would be popular with the mythical Southern Hick for whom Coon is short for Racoon.

Next you will be thinking a coonskin hat is made from....(1)

To those that wondered, I am not American...I am a Kiwi.

But as someone whose 5000 album record collection is 98% Blues and Jazz and thus is 95% made up of Black American artists, has been collecting said albums since 1970 and has a deep historical interest in Blues and Jazz (and so by extension, the Black American experience from which Blues especially was born), I know that "coon" has a derogatory meaning.

See for example Howlin' Wolf's "Coon on the Moon" track and read its sarcastic lyrics. And of course, Howlin' Wolf is entitled to use this derogatory form of the word cause he is...checks notes... a Black American.

I even lived in the US for 15 years and worked/traveled all over it and so have some appreciation of the complexities and subtleties of American culture.

So off the high horse before you fall off.

Peter

(1) In Kiwiland we had a icecream product that since I was a kid was called an Eskimo Pie... but due to pressure from specific groups was renamed to Polar Pie in 2021... I assume because people thought it was made from Eskimo's (actually it was due to perceived cultural appropriation...Eskimo's are renowned for their ice cream products )... and yet Jeep can still sell a vehicle called the Cherokee

Last edited:

jkasch

Forum Donor
Thanks to B88 for pointing out the obvious.... context matters.

If this was a real product, it would be popular with the mythical Southern Hick for whom Coon is short for Racoon.

Next you will be thinking a coonskin hat is made from....(1)

To those that wondered, I am not American...I am a Kiwi.

But as someone whose 5000 album record collection is 98% Blues and Jazz and thus is 95% made up of Black American artists, has been collecting said albums since 1970 and has a deep historical interest in Blues and Jazz (and so by extension, the Black American experience from which Blues especially was born), I know that "coon" has a derogatory meaning.

See for example Howlin' Wolf's "Coon on the Moon" track and read its sarcastic lyrics. And of course, Howlin' Wolf is entitled to use this derogatory form of the word cause he is...checks notes... a Black American.

I even lived in the US for 15 years and worked/traveled all over it and so have some appreciation of the complexities and subtleties of American culture.

So off the high horse before you fall off.

Peter

(1) In Kiwiland we had a icecream product that since I was a kid was called an Eskimo Pie... but due to pressure from specific groups was renamed to Polar Pie in 2021... I assume because people thought it was made from Eskimo's (actually it was due to perceived cultural appropriation...Eskimo's are renowned for their ice cream products )... and yet Jeep can still sell a vehicle called the Cherokee
Further diminished by the Grand Cherokee.

fatoldgit

Further diminished by the Grand Cherokee.
indeed.

And before people start jumping on me for using Eskimo:

Eskimo has been criticized as an offensive term, and many people either avoid it or feel uncomfortable using it. The claim that Eskimo is offensive is often supported by citing a popular etymology tracing its origin to an Abenaki word meaning “eaters of raw meat.” Modern linguists speculate that Eskimo may actually derive from a Montagnais word referring to the manner of lacing a snowshoe, but the matter remains undecided

Inuit is a more specific term than Eskimo, properly applying to the traditionally Inuit-speaking peoples of Arctic Canada and parts of Greenland. In southwest Alaska and Arctic Siberia, where Inuit is not spoken, the comparable term is Yupik, which has not gained as wide a currency in English as Inuit.

Use of these more specific terms is generally preferable when speaking of the appropriate ethnic group. For lack of a universally accepted general term, Eskimo is still often used for speaking of the Yupik and Inuit peoples collectively

So I am not sure how an ancient etymology that could either be "“eaters of raw meat" or "lacing a snowshoe in a specific way" can be construed as a derogatory.

Next people will be telling me my username is derogatory when in fact it could be an accurate description!!!!!

But back to the humour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom