• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth About Vinyl Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Major Contributor
Yep.
But feel free to ask JJ if he thinks I’m misrepresenting the content of his lecture. I’m sure he will set the record straight.
I have read his posts and I understand them.

As for Toole. Where did that come from? How can I misrepresent his statements when I never mentioned him?
Now you are misunderstanding me. No surprise I guess. I'm suggesting you read Toole to find the right answers about whether human preferences regarding sound reproduction are 'anything goes, if I like it I like it, no matter how bad the reproduction', or not. Based on your claims here, you will be very surprised by the facts you will learn.

Yeah I know what he said. I disagreed with him on that.
Yeah from your posts it seems that you think the hobby has *always* been 'anything goes'. I'll correct you. Right up until the late 1970s audiophiles and magazines were strongly focused on efforts to get flatter frequency response, lower distortion, lower wow and flutter, etc. Then around that time subjectivist-oriented journalism arose, and within a decade or two had more or less taken over. It seems to have coincided with Japanese turntable and electronics companies delivering on those criteria, to a higher degree and at a lower price than the western world audio companies seemed to be able to do. Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence, but suddenly things like PRAT and 'organic sound' became important, and guess what? By all reports, boutique western world audio gear had these things in spades, compared to the 'flat and lifeless sounding' Japanese gear with its super-flat FR, super-steady turntable speeds, and super-low distortion. Hmm, interesting.

And he was wrong. Enjoying personal preferences isn’t dropping the ball. Confusing them with objective accuracy is where they dropped the ball and assuming their personal sense of realism was an objective reference for fidelity made it worse. JGH was the original ball dropper and he saw just how far off the rails his approach to audio had gone and regretted it.
Wow, you just raised your tendency for misinterpretation to a new level. Holt must be turning in his grave. If you are doing this deliberately, then shame on you.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Is liking to play records a gateway to general audio entropy?
My gateway drugs of choice are 1930s recordings. I don't need to be told that they are technologically deficient. Am I letting the team down by playing old Artur Schnabel or Busch Quartet recordings or Billie Holiday records? What if I told you that I actively enjoy the way they sound? Might I wind up in a straightjacket?

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
I'm free to support what I want to, and little of it is in the category we would both agree is snake oil.
Why are you supporting snake oil? :facepalm::facepalm:
But perhaps some of it is in the category you wouldn't "support" (e.g. vinyl 'n stuff).
But vinyl is fertile ground for snake oil, and especially 'pseudo-engineering discussions', because the mechanical nature of the process means one can mount logical-sounding arguments about almost anything being better or not for one reason or another. Myths are absolutely rampant in vinyl world. This encourages exotic snake-oil merchandising. The merchants respond enthusiastically.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are you supporting snake oil? :facepalm::facepalm:
Oh geeze.

I was quite careful in what I wrote. Why not try to understand rather than leap to silly conclusions? What snake oil do you think I support?

Oh..vinyl?....of course...

But vinyl is fertile ground for snake oil, and especially 'pseudo-engineering discussions', because the mechanical nature of the process means one can mount logical-sounding arguments about almost anything being better or not for one reason or another. Myths are absolutely rampant in vinyl world. This encourages exotic snake-oil merchandising. The merchants respond enthusiastically.

Uhm...have you not paid attention to the amount of snake oil and woo-woo in the audiophile world regarding digital audio?

You've got $50,000 music servers, multi thousand dollar transports, mega expensive DACs with dubious technical claims, reviews for ultra expensive USB connectors, isolation devices for CDPs and DACs, all the re-clocking devices, you've got forums of "computer audiophiles" talking about all sorts of woo-woo tweaks for better digital sound. Remember green markers, freezing and demagnetizing for CDS? Yeah, there's none of that outrageous tweaky stuff associated with digital audio.

Wanna buy a nice CD player?

index.php

It's not as if audiophiles, and the audiophile industry, suddenly gave up on crazy tweaking. Once digital came, the tweaks just moved in to the digital realm too.

So, Newman, are you to be accused of "supporting a medium rife with snake oil?"

Nah, because that would be friggin' ludicrous. Looking for a stupid guilt-by-association attempt to "gocha." Your insatiable desire to paint vinyl as some sort of special sin in the audiophile world is really something.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Oh geeze. I was quite careful in what I wrote. Why not try to understand rather than leap to silly conclusions? What snake oil do you think I support?
Here are your words: "...little of what I support is in the category of snake oil." So I asked you why you do that (support any at all), and you get all exasperated. Then you ask me to guess what snake oil you support? I dunno, I'm not a mind reader. But since you just admitted that some (little) amount of what you support is snake oil, why don't you tell us what it is, instead of asking me to guess. "Geeze", indeed.
Uhm...have you not paid attention to the amount of snake oil and woo-woo in the audiophile world regarding digital audio? You've got $50,000 music servers, multi thousand dollar transports, mega expensive DACs with dubious technical claims, reviews for ultra expensive USB connectors, isolation devices for CDPs and DACs, all the re-clocking devices, you've got forums of "computer audiophiles" talking about all sorts of woo-woo tweaks for better digital sound. Remember green markers, freezing and demagnetizing for CDS? Yeah, there's none of that outrageous tweaky stuff associated with digital audio....It's not as if audiophiles, and the audiophile industry, suddenly gave up on crazy tweaking. Once digital came, the tweaks just moved in to the digital realm too.
So, Newman, are you to be accused of "supporting a medium rife with snake oil?" Nah, because that would be friggin' ludicrous. Looking for a stupid guilt-by-association attempt to "gocha." Your insatiable desire to paint vinyl as some sort of special sin in the audiophile world is really something.
My point, that you misread either deliberately or with incomprehension, is that it's widely accepted here on ASR that a plain old CD player with good specs is completely audibly transparent. But because vinyl is never audibly transparent, then people are more prone to think that 'everything matters', and being mechanical in nature feeds into that, with a huge number of 'pathways to improvement', and with very little certainty about which ones are myths.

With CD/digital, it's easy. All those things you just mentioned above, are crap. Myths. Snake oil. Job done.

But try it with vinyl: which vinyl tweaks or features are snake oil, and which ones aren't? Hmmmm, not so easy, right?

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are your words: "...little of what I support is in the category of snake oil." So I asked you why you do that (support any at all), and you get all exasperated. Then you ask me to guess what snake oil you support? I dunno, I'm not a mind reader. But since you just admitted that some (little) amount of what you support is snake oil, why don't you tell us what it is, instead of asking me to guess. "Geeze", indeed.

My post was meant to indicate that we'd largely agree on what is snake oil, but I left room for the possibility that there might be some things we might disagree on as being "snake oil." People have a wide range of things they put in the category of "bullshit" and audiophiles, even on this forum, don't necessarily agree on absolutely everything.

So, it's possible you think I might own something you view as "snake oil"...I dunno...my too-expensive blingy turntable?...vinyl?...tube amps? Who knows? We might disagree, or we might agree in some way, disagree in another. That's the room I was leaving open.

It seems you want to insinuate snake oil in to the vinyl stuff, so there ya go...

My point, that you misread either deliberately or with incomprehension,

Your point was actually quite clearly stated. You tried to paint vinyl, in contrast to digital, as an especially fertile ground for snake oil.

is that it's widely accepted here on ASR that a plain old CD player with good specs is completely audibly transparent. But because vinyl is never audibly transparent, then people are more prone to think that 'everything matters', and being mechanical in nature feeds into that, with a huge number of 'pathways to improvement', and with very little certainty about which ones are myths.
Which is just repeating again that you think vinyl is a fertile ground for snake oil.

And yet...so is digital.

Why? Because audiophiles using pure subjective impressions can imagine ANYTHING makes a difference. Right? That doesn't stop with vinyl. That means since digital has plenty of technical parts there is plenty of "fertile ground" for imagining various differences where there are none, hence the endless list of tweaking in the digital realm.
There is hardly one bit of the digital chain that does NOT have audiophiles tweaking it - clocks, cases, sound cards, power supplies, internal cables, digital cables, take virtually every piece of the chain, every piece of digital design, and you'll find audiophiles going woo-woo over it, and manufacturers selling bogus ideas, to "cure" the problem. Have you really not paid attention to this?

Your own purported understanding of how bias works should have indicated that before you tried to make an argument specially singling out vinyl for pervasive snake oil.

With CD/digital, it's easy. All those things you just mentioned above, are crap. Myths. Snake oil. Job done.

See above. Both vinyl and digital are fertile grounds for snake oil. Snake oil isn't dependant on the technology per se, but on the approach to the technology.
Remember how so many ASR members bemoan the change from the "old days" of audiophile and audio magazines, which were less b.s., more technically focused, more measurement oriented, and then the sinister subjective rags took over in the 80's or so and ruined everything and now it's woo-woo everywhere you look?

When was the more technically non-snake oil oriented halcyon period for audiophiles? It was during a time when records pervaded. It's not the technology: it's the way audiophiles approach any particular technology. It's pure uncontrolled subjectivism, whatever it's aimed at.

But try it with vinyl: which vinyl tweaks or features are snake oil, and which ones aren't? Hmmmm, not so easy, right?

But that's a different point. What you just wrote doesn't establish vinyl is especially ripe for snake oil. You are now merely saying that it's harder in vinyl to TELL the snake oil from the non-snake oil. First..tell that to all those audiophiles with their heads buried in digital snake oil. It would FAR outnumber those buried in vinyl snake oil, given digital sources have predominated for years. Secondly, if the fact vinyl features mechanical parts that really can alter the sound means it's harder to judge which is snake oil, that suggests that perhaps there's less snake oil involved, and more likelihood of something actually affecting the sound! If anything, that would suggest vinyl is a LESS fertile ground for actual snake oil, since some of the tweaks might be efficacious, where fewer of the digital tweaks would be valid, hence more likely snake oil.

So in any case your argument just seems empty; it's just running around in circles trying to find something "especially wrong" with vinyl.

As usual.

Last edited:

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cool. But you are claiming I am misrepresenting them. I hate to get into. Pissing contest but JJ chose to use my summary of his lecture to introduce it on the YouTube video. And yet you think I am misrepresenting it here. So again, ask JJ.

Now you are misunderstanding me. No surprise I guess. I'm suggesting you read Toole to find the right answers about whether human preferences regarding sound reproduction are 'anything goes, if I like it I like it, no matter how bad the reproduction', or not.
I’ve read Toole. Multiple times. I’m with JJ on preferences. They are inarguable. If someone says they like something don’t argue with them about it.

Toole is one of many experts in audio. But he is not any singular authority.

Based on your claims here, you will be very surprised by the facts you will learn.

Nope. I already know Toole’s work. Not surprised.

Yeah from your posts it seems that you think the hobby has *always* been 'anything goes'.

Now you are misunderstanding me. What I said was *sound quality* has always been a matter of preference even way before there was any such thing as audio. And that’s a fact. Musical instruments, concert halls and all things music were judged by preferences.
Yep.

I'll correct you. Right up until the late 1970s audiophiles and magazines were strongly focused on efforts to get flatter frequency response, lower distortion, lower wow and flutter, etc.
I made no mention of audio journalism prior to Stereophile. What exactly are you correcting? Smells a lot like a burning straw man.

Then around that time subjectivist-oriented journalism arose, and within a decade or two had more or less taken over.
Yeah, that I did address. It started with JGH and Stereophile

It seems to have coincided with Japanese turntable and electronics companies delivering on those criteria, to a higher degree and at a lower price than the western world audio companies seemed to be able to do. Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence, but suddenly things like PRAT and 'organic sound' became important, and guess what? By all reports, boutique western world audio gear had these things in spades, compared to the 'flat and lifeless sounding' Japanese gear with its super-flat FR, super-steady turntable speeds, and super-low distortion. Hmm, interesting.

Your point? Oh wait, you just supported my point. That subjective audiophile rags went off the rails. NOT because they didn’t care about fidelity to live music as JGH incorrectly claimed (The Absolute Sound had a mantra and it’s in the title of the magazine) it was because they conflated their preferences with objective accuracy.

Choose your champions carefully. JGH started it.

Wow, you just raised your tendency for misinterpretation to a new level. Holt must be turning in his grave. If you are doing this deliberately, then shame on you.
Oh bull**** my representations are dead on. Shame on you for claiming otherwise

Justdafactsmaam

Here are your words: "...little of what I support is in the category of snake oil."
Seriously dude, you accuse me of misrepresenting? Here’s what he said

“I’m free to support what I want to, and little of it is in the category we would both agree is snake oil.”

As someone who is so anal about accurately representing what other people say, wtf is your excuse for this misrepresentation?

Shame on you

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There is hardly one bit of the digital chain that does NOT have audiophiles tweaking it - clocks, cases, sound cards, power supplies, internal cables, digital cables, take virtually every piece of the chain, every piece of digital design, and you'll find audiophiles going woo-woo over it, and manufacturers selling bogus ideas, to "cure" the problem. Have you really not paid attention to this?
And over & over time is spent here measuring and proving those that have value, and those that are worthless.
On the other hand, you and a large number of posters to this thread refuse to admit that beyond being fun toys to play with, turntables and LP's have little to no relevancy in the 2024 world of SOTA home music reproduction. And haven't had for near
half a decade now.

My point, that you misread either deliberately or with incomprehension, is that it's widely accepted here on ASR that a plain old CD player with good specs is completely audibly transparent. But because vinyl is never audibly transparent, then people are more prone to think that 'everything matters', and being mechanical in nature feeds into that, with a huge number of 'pathways to improvement', and with very little certainty about which ones are myths.
AMEN Newman, and that is the bottom line here.

You really should watch JJ’s lecture on accuracy and really take it in. Here’s what you missed. You don’t know what any recording engineer heard. You don’t know what they preferred unless there is documentation of them saying what they preferred so any arguments made on the premise of engineers’ preferences or intentions fail on their face.
We all understand the circle of confusion, it's been discussed to death for decades.
But we do know what it was he wanted it to sound like, it's in the 0s and 1s of a digital source, the only missing links are his speakers and his room. Most recording monitors are speaker designs that strive for accuracy and combining the source with our recommended (accurate) speaker list should get you pretty damn close. Add in some excellent DRC software and you might do even better.
But if you start off with a vinyl source you're forever stuck with it's 100 year old technology's weaknesses.
But that IS your choice to make.

Justdafactsmaam

And over & over time is spent here measuring and proving those that have value, and those that are worthless.
There you go again with the passive aggressive attempt to elevate your preferences over those of other audiophiles. What is proven is what has an actual effect and what doesn’t have an actual effect on the sound. “Value” is personal and subjective.

On the other hand, you and a large number of posters to this thread refuse to admit that beyond being fun toys to play with, turntables and LP's have little to no relevancy in the 2024 world of SOTA home music reproduction. And haven't had for near
half a decade now.
State of the art? Who is the arbitrator of state of the art? There is no consensus on what is state of the art. What may be relevant to you might not be relevant to me or someone else.

We all understand the circle of confusion, it's been discussed to death for decades.
And was never brought up by JJ in his lecture. No matter how much you try to twist it and dodge it his message was clear. Preferences are inarguable. Stop arguing about the validity of other people’s preferences. Your preferences are nothing special either.

But we do know what it was he wanted it to sound like, it's in the 0s and 1s of a digital source,

No we don’t. You are not a mind reader.

the only missing links are his speakers and his room.
No. Not the only missing links. But if they were that’s still an order of magnitude bigger difference than vinyl vs digital. At least an order of magnitude. And even then you still don’t know the intent.

Most recording monitors are speaker designs that strive for accuracy and combining the source with our recommended (accurate) speaker list should get you pretty damn close.

Bull. B&W 801s, Yamahas, and god knows what else has been in use since the 1950s and even before. And that still doesn’t tell you intent. Artists’ intent is a make believe reference to rationalize a prejudicial preference for technical accuracy.

Reactions: VQR

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There you go again with the passive aggressive attempt to elevate your preferences over those of other audiophiles. What is proven is what has an actual effect and what doesn’t have an actual effect on the sound. “Value” is personal and subjective.
BS and Baloney
But if they were that’s still an order of magnitude bigger difference than vinyl vs digital.
Again BS. No two vinyl needle designs sound alike, some not remotely.
Which one is an accurate representation of the source (the ditch).
Bull. B&W 801s, Yamahas, and god knows what else has been in use since the 1950s and even before.
More BS, Antiquated designs from the vinyl era.
This is a modern studio.
genelec.jpeg

Leporello

Right up until the late 1970s audiophiles and magazines were strongly focused on efforts to get flatter frequency response, lower distortion, lower wow and flutter, etc. Then around that time subjectivist-oriented journalism arose, and within a decade or two had more or less taken over. It seems to have coincided with Japanese turntable and electronics companies delivering on those criteria, to a higher degree and at a lower price than the western world audio companies seemed to be able to do. Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence, but suddenly things like PRAT and 'organic sound' became important, and guess what? By all reports, boutique western world audio gear had these things in spades, compared to the 'flat and lifeless sounding' Japanese gear with its super-flat FR, super-steady turntable speeds, and super-low distortion. Hmm, interesting.
Good analysis.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thank you

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BS and Baloney

Again BS. No two vinyl needle designs sound alike, some not remotely.
Which one is an accurate representation of the source (the ditch).

More BS, Antiquated designs from the vinyl era.
This is a modern studio.
View attachment 353703
I would love to try listening in a modern studio.

Newman

Major Contributor
I commend it. It's typically really, really good.

Newman

Major Contributor
Seriously dude, you accuse me of misrepresenting? Here’s what he said

“I’m free to support what I want to, and little of it is in the category we would both agree is snake oil.”

As someone who is so anal about accurately representing what other people say, wtf is your excuse for this misrepresentation?

Shame on you
Well, I reckon those words in quote marks say that some of it is snake oil. Not much of it, but some of it.

You disagree? What do you think they say, then? None of it is snake oil? All of it is snake oil? Or are you just being pedantic?

Because if I am right, and he is indeed saying that some of the gear he supports is snake oil, then I'm not misrepresenting him at all, and you are just being OTT aggressive ...and wrong, too.

Newman

Major Contributor
I’m with JJ on preferences. They are inarguable. If someone says they like something don’t argue with them about it.
OK, answer me this then. Here is a very common scenario. Someone does a sighted listening test and prefers the sound of speaker A over speaker B. Then he does a blind listening test and prefers the sound of speaker B over speaker A.

Which speaker does he inarguably prefer the sound of?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I don't believe that the circle of confusion is nearly as powerful as some believe. Throughout recording history, generally the control room has been better treated than domestic listening rooms, and the dynamic range and frequency response in the control room has been greater than most domestic setups. So mixing engineers have heard the master in higher fidelity to the instruments in the studio than anyone else. They mixed what they did for a reason. Finally mixing engineers are not cloth eared and can freely move between the control room and studio and frequently do so, and will spot aberrations. So, aside from deliberate "production effects" we have to assume what leaves the studio and heads to the mastering lab is what was intended! What leaves the mastering lab is definitely in a circle of confusion, however.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
OK, answer me this then. Here is a very common scenario. Someone does a sighted listening test and prefers the sound of speaker A over speaker B. Then he does a blind listening test and prefers the sound of speaker B over speaker A.

Which speaker does he inarguably prefer the sound of?

I am not taking any sides to the current argument - TLDR, however, I have at least an answer to the sound preference question asked in the above post. One assumption I make here is - the speakers are not drastically different in sound when level matched. The answer is "both speakers". A follow up question is - which speakers are preferred with a follow up sighted test? Especially if the listener has been told the results of the blind test. With that knowledge, the listener may very well be "swayed" to speaker B. Depends on the strength of the sighted variable that pushed towards speaker A in first sighted test. If the listener does not know the blind test results, it seems likely speaker A may be chosen again. To be statistically significant, the usual 8,9, or 10 times out of 10 tries....

Newman

Major Contributor
Artists’ intent is a make believe reference to rationalize a prejudicial preference for technical accuracy.
I have different, less acidic, reasons for not supporting the notion of "artist intent" (normally meaning the musicians) as a goal of the playback system.

I think it's the wrong objective for assessing the success of a reproduction medium.

I think musicians are too rarely concerned with the sonic nuance of the recording, for their intent (in the sense of art) to be considered present in the final recording. (This link also refutes your argument in #707 that artist signoff on vinyl test pressings in bygone days means those recordings best document the artistic intent of the musicians.)

I think there is a different work of art, involving different artists than just the musicians, that IS present in the final recorded artwork, and that CAN be preserved and brought to the home. And that minimising the circle of confusion will maximise the chances of this happening. And that is an appropriate goal for sound reproduction at home. Not just for me, but as a generalisation. And if people reject it, I don't criticise them as humans, that would be silly, but I can make a statement with respect to their standards for sound reproduction: they aren't as high as the standards of some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom