• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$20k for dream 2.0 or 2.1 rig

OP
M

mad

I heard the DD 8c and they are everything that was promised. Can't think of more speaker you would need. More auditions to come but how does everyone get multiple brands side by side let alone in their own rooms?

poopy

I heard the DD 8c and they are everything that was promised. Can't think of more speaker you would need. More auditions to come but how does everyone get multiple brands side by side let alone in their own rooms?

You need to go to shops selling various makes of monitors and book a demo. Depends on your location obviously. If you're based in EU, you could go to London, there are a few there.

Your initial list looks similar to mine when I started my journey. I also demoed the DD8C. I quickly lost interest with the Mantas+ 2x10D playing in the same room....

awf

Short list so far:

• Siberg Manta
  • KH420
  • Dutch & Dutch 8C Studio
  • PMC 8-2
  • Genelec 8361
  • ELX Tower
  • KEF LS60

A member messaged me about Soundfield and I cannot find information on them other than some very. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Many of the models on the website say available in 2019.
I was in the similar boat, and I went with one of the choices suggested in this thread but didn't make your short list: the Pitt & Giblin Superwax Mini.

Important caveats up front before I share my observations:
My 3.5m x 5m listening space is largely untreated and asymmetrical
I listened to the speakers in vastly different spaces

My short list in no particular order was:
D&D 8C
Kii Three
Genelec 8351
P&G Superwax Mini
Grimm LS with subs

And before this upgrade I came from a pair of Devialet Phantom Gold and Neumann KH80 paired with a KEF KF92 subwoofer. I listen to a wide range of music from classical to pop to electronic.

So...

I loved the D&D 8C and listened to it for hours in separate auditions. Can't find anything to fault them except that they don't easily blend in with my interior. Like the Genelec 8361, they feel big as "bookshelf" speakers. Aesthetics, of course, is subjective. Ignore if that doesn't matter to you.

I listened to the Kii Three initially in the same treated showroom as the 8C and did my best to level-match. They sounded less musical to my ears and packed less of a punch in the low end.

Also in the same space was the Grimm LS with subs. They're the most expensive speakers on my list but didn't impress me. I kept going back to the 8C for all genres of music that I tested.

The Genelec 8351 lack the very low end of the 8C but there's something about their imaging and vocals that was appealing to me. Calibration is a breeze using the GLM kit (basically auto EQ) and makes a big difference. I ended up buying a pair of its smaller sibling (8341) for my study.

I've tried the 8341A in the same living space where I keep my Superwax Mini but they don't sound nearly as good. It isn't just the low end (I use a MiniDSP device to integrate my sub to make up for their relative lack of low bass), but they don't compare to the Superwax even when it comes to the mids. I perceive similarly pleasant and smooth characteristics in the highs.

Well this leaves the Superwax, which I auditioned on a trip to Australia and bought after a few hours of listening. I'd say they sound as clean and dynamic as the 8C, with the additional benefit of looking better in a living room (despite the larger footprint). I'd encourage you to try them out.

Top Bottom