• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 278 82.7%

• Total voters

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
With Sundara and all chain in balanced i cannot reach 110dp spl ..... because at around 98db my topping A70 goes in protection. Im very disappointed
Sundara is rated 92 dB/mW at 32 Ohms by Hifiman and 90 db/mW at 40 Ohms by the ASR review. Only 8 mW are needed to get to 98 dB, so I’m pretty sure you are pushing your cans way past this sound level fogure. The only sensible way to know if your amp is defective is measuring the output power just when the protection kicks in.

Indeed. There has been nothing reported on this thread after August 2023....

View attachment 347243
Their suspection was wrong - or something strange has happened on my end. The one I received was fairly new. I've gotten a replacement and it's from the same batch.
It's working fine so far, but this is my first day with it... I'm making extra sure not to upset it in any way.

Choleryk;-)

Hello, I came across this forum while looking for a solution to the problem with my Topping A70pro, i.e. the famous "HP DC abnormal" error.
I bought A70pro last month, its serial number 2306656112, FW 2.01. The amplifier suddenly stopped playing and an error occurred. 18ohm planar headphones were connected to the amplifier. I guess Topping didn't diagnose the problem, or I have an old stock copy, although FW2.01 doesn't indicate this. Sorry if something was not understood, I use a translator ;-)

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hello, I came across this forum while looking for a solution to the problem with my Topping A70pro, i.e. the famous "HP DC abnormal" error.
I bought A70pro last month, its serial number 2306656112, FW 2.01. The amplifier suddenly stopped playing and an error occurred. 18ohm planar headphones were connected to the amplifier. I guess Topping didn't diagnose the problem, or I have an old stock copy, although FW2.01 doesn't indicate this. Sorry if something was not understood, I use a translator ;-)
Try installing 2.02

marcom22

For me all the problems of Topping A70 are related to headphone with a low impedance ....... repeat my opinion but this AMP have problems with low impedance (specially magnetoplanar) headphones.

Choleryk;-)

For me all the problems of Topping A70 are related to headphone with a low impedance ....... repeat my opinion but this AMP have problems with low impedance (specially magnetoplanar) headphones.
One can only hope that Topping has dealt with this problem. Especially since when it comes to sound, I personally liked the combination of my headphones with the A70 pro. I haven't gone through all the posts about the A70, so I don't know if your thoughts are right, but it can't be ruled out.

Rhamnetin

I've only used my A70 Pro with the DCA E3 and HE400se and haven't had any issues.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, I won't be able to do it because right after turning it on, an error occurs and the only thing I can do is turn off the amplifier.
If you read the firmware install instructions, the amp stays off for the upgrade

Got my second unit a couple days ago. I'm starting to hear crackling in the right ear now, even without a record on the table. Anyone know why?

I turned on the Preamp after turning on the Topping this time and it fixed the crackling for a while, but then it suddenly came back quite loudly before disappearing again quickly. I hadn't moved an inch. This is connected to a record player. The crackling and dial movement on the screen stops when the preamp is turned off.

I'm about to give up on this hobby.

Disarmamant

I’m assuming your ”preamp“ is a phono stage for the turntable? If the crackling stops when the preamp is turned off surely it must be noise coming from the preamp, especially as you can see the noise on the A70 dial as it must be on the inputs.
If that’s the case you need to check all the connections around the phono cartridge and the tonearm. Is there a loose fitting tag on the cartridge pins? Is the tonearm cable plugged into the tonearm base correctly? Is there an earth wire connected between the turntable and the preamp? Are the tonearm cable connections tight at the preamp inputs.?

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the first A70 Pro and it had crackling/static but just on the balanced side, not on the SE connector. Firmware didn't fix it, even when nothing else was plugged into it but the headphones. The second one I got now works just fine, so I think it was the first production run that had issues. Performance with the D70 Pro Octo is absurdly good, low noise floor too with the 5.2v DAC. My daily driver is an A30Pro/D10B which I'm very happy with, this stack was worth checking out, great looking too. Being an early adopter always runs the risk though. No heat issues with the stack. For personal use I'm sticking with the A30Pro/D10b for simplicity, and having the same power on all connectors. So nice having a DAC with no MQA, Bluetooth antenna, or remote control.

seriouser

My A70 Pro also go the infamous error after only a few days when listening with an Arya Organic. Heard a pop and then the error. Nothing fixes it, not even updating to the latest firmware.

The headphones seem fine which is good.

Before this it was working with no problems and working great.

Attachments

• 2024-02-16 12.57.34.jpg
    2024-02-16 12.57.34.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 117

da Choge

Forum Donor
My A70 Pro also go the infamous error after only a few days when listening with an Arya Organic. Heard a pop and then the error. Nothing fixes it, not even updating to the latest firmware.
Disappointing and sorry to hear that! Has Topping ever really definitively addressed this issue except when their Korean customers were informed that it was either issues with the first production run and/or firmware -- can't recall, but correct me if I'm in error. I do not remember that Topping has ever pointed to the failure of a specific component, at least not on this forum, but I've been following this thread off and on. The reason I am concerned is that I'm interested in this unit, but have been hesitant thus far, mainly due to reports of this recurrent issue.

Rhamnetin

Disappointing and sorry to hear that! Has Topping ever really definitively addressed this issue except when their Korean customers were informed that it was either issues with the first production run and/or firmware -- can't recall, but correct me if I'm in error. I do not remember that Topping has ever pointed to the failure of a specific component, at least not on this forum, but I've been following this thread off and on. The reason I am concerned is that I'm interested in this unit, but have been hesitant thus far, mainly due to reports of this recurrent issue.

You might want to consider the L70 instead for this reason. It's got nearly as much power and basically the same performance otherwise.

pundel

after reading all the messages in this topic I'm starting to be afraid of topping I ordered myself 2 amplifiers for comparison topping 70 pro and smsl sh-x for smsl su-x I'll test them I'll express my opinion I hope everything will be fine but I think everything will be as always

Top Bottom