• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BBC speakers

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like that sound signature you can buy a pair of kef concertos, have the bass you require and the mids and highs similar to the ls3/5a's. You will also save thousands.
KEF sound is not for me! :)
B&W, Wilson or Sonus Faber, yeah - any day.
Though can't afford Wilson either, but if I could . . .

knownunknown

kinda hijacking this thread, but can someone tell what the graphs mean? just curious how the graham ls6 measure and dont know how to read them

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They don’t appear to be too difficult a load, the bass extension isn’t extensive as you would expect from a traditional design, we had one of the Graham ( BBC )designs here they weren’t too bad, not too coloured, a bit rolled off if I remember.
IMG_1638.jpeg

DSJR

Major Contributor
There is strict BBC, said to follow the precise requirements that the BBC laid down (except these evolved...).

Then there is the spirit of BBC, which I take to be sealed two-way bookshelf speakers that aim for midrange excellence and natural, no coloration.

All I can say is that my Spendor A1's are fantastic. Somewhat pricey, but you can look for bargains. They are a current model, so much less worry about old capacitors, disintegrating surrounds, etc. that comes with vintage BBC speakers.
Not so vintage - there's decades of Spendors with hardening surrounds (SP1/2, SP2/2 up until the SP2/3R I think) and bass all but disappears when this happens. Their then designer in more recent times is now at Harbeth I gather and was apparently surprised at the facilities there compared to what he'd previously had to work with.

DSJR

Major Contributor
If you like that sound signature you can buy a pair of kef concertos, have the bass you require and the mids and highs similar to the ls3/5a's. You will also save thousands.
I've loved the Concerto's every time I heard them - and on 10 - 12" stands, the last production batch that we bought as a 'sale' item were really really great on all manner of music we were playing back then...

Top Bottom