• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

JP

Major Contributor
IMG_3111.jpeg

Music source at the restaurant we had dinner tonight.

Newman

Major Contributor
…entirely for the purpose of making you feel like it’s a cool place to be. Hip,even.

JP

Major Contributor
(in the nicest possible way) Duh.

JP

Major Contributor
Did the guy behind the bar have a waxed 'stache, earrings, and arms covered in tattoos that look like they'd been drawn by his nine year old niece? :p
I find the artwork in London is typically of much higher quality.

JP

Major Contributor
reel to reel tape or I ain't goin'.

;)

There was a restaurant in k-town that had a sizable reel collection. I think it was decorative though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Music source at the restaurant we had dinner tonight.
OH, what a hip place to be. NOT
Just what I don't want, rice krispies with my steak. :facepalm:

JP

Major Contributor
OH, what a hip place to be. NOT
Just what I don't want, rice krispies with my steak. :facepalm:

You must’ve mistreated your records something awful. To think that minor ticks would be noticeable in background music in a restaurant environment is… imaginative.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha I have no idea either, I may have been suffering from heat stroke. At least I had the sense to defer responding to work emails yesterday.
Glad you are feeling better. :)

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that the "snap crackle pop" attributed to vinyl is exaggerated. If the discs are poorly cared for or used as skateboards prior to playback, then yes, they do have that problem. Properly cared for discs I have are quiet, with just a slight sort of a whoosh sound between tunes on the disc. Once the music starts, any background noise is sufficiently below music level such that it's not noticeable on any reasonably cared-for record.

JP

Major Contributor
I think that the "snap crackle pop" attributed to vinyl is exaggerated. If the discs are poorly cared for or used as skateboards prior to playback, then yes, they do have that problem. Properly cared for discs I have are quiet, with just a slight sort of a whoosh sound between tunes on the disc. Once the music starts, any background noise is sufficiently below music level such that it's not noticeable on any reasonably cared-for record.

It‘s insincere and I doubt anyone takes him seriously- he has admitted to trolling the topic previously.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think that the "snap crackle pop" attributed to vinyl is exaggerated.
It really is just a general term for all the audible issues and shortcomings of vinyl compared to modern digital sources.
Let's be serious, it is a 100 yo mechanical media, fun to play with, maybe. But as a source for SOTA High Fidelity music reproduction in the home, it ceased to be a relevant media close to 50 years ago.
Not a troll, just the truth of the science.

egellings

Major Contributor
It really is just a general term for all the audible issues and shortcomings of vinyl compared to modern digital sources.
Let's be serious, it is a 100 yo mechanical media, fun to play with, maybe. But as a source for SOTA High Fidelity music reproduction in the home, it ceased to be a relevant media close to 50 years ago.
Not a troll, just the truth of the science.
True. But vinyl can have noise & distortion characteristics low enough that they are below audibility, although I must admit, the vinyl format is fiddly and it needs care that no digital format needs at all. I view vinyl as the little engine that could, but it takes a bit of effort to get it to do that. So why bother with it? Because it's my little Fi-fi. Nothing's too good for my little Fi-fi. Do you understand? N-n-n-n-nothing! It's like a little pet that occasionally piddles on the sonic carpet. It makes sense if it's viewed as a little pet.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It‘s insincere and I doubt anyone takes him seriously- he has admitted to trolling the topic previously.
I’m pretty sure Sal is an energy vampire, ala “the creature that crawled out of the chest cavity of our friend Colin Robinson” on What We Do in the Shadows. At least on this topic.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure Sal is an energy vampire, ala “the creature that crawled out of the chest cavity of our friend Colin Robinson” on What We Do in the Shadows. At least on this topic.
Why do you guys piss and moan so much simply because I tell the truth?
Have I spoken a single lie?
Do you run to support the guys wasting their money on the other snake-oil con's like cables?
Everywhere we turn today we read how vinyl sounds sooo much better then digital and is the "audiophiles" choice for quality music playback. It's BS, you know it and I know it. And it is just as dangerous to honest marketing in audio as $10k cables and grounding boxes. Vinyl, cassette, 8 track, Edison cylinders, etc; are yesterdays news and a enormous waste of money if quality sound is important to you..
1707182781396.jpeg

aagstn

In general this is true. However, there is some terribly pressed new vinyl out there too. I rarely buy new vinyl, but I learned pretty quickly to stay away from GZ Vinyl. They sometimes bake in the pops and crackles, pits and scratches right at the factory for you.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Do you run to support the guys wasting their money on the other snake-oil con's like cables?
Everywhere we turn today we read how vinyl sounds sooo much better then digital and is the "audiophiles" choice for quality music playback. It's BS, you know it and I know it. And it is just as dangerous to honest marketing in audio as $10k cables and grounding boxes. Vinyl, cassette, 8 track, Edison cylinders, etc; are yesterdays news and a enormous waste of money if quality sound is important to you..
View attachment 347705
Because you repeat yourself like a broken record. You're even more annoying than that which annoys you. Give it a rest, we've heard it all before.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

aagstn

View attachment 347705
I like records and even I can't understand an audiophile spending tens of thousands of dollars on vinyl equipment and $150 for a one step Mofi record for an end result that is still going to be well below the sound quality of an $80 SMSL DAC and a well mastered digital file.

Top Bottom