• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.1%

• Total voters

fquails

Too bad it doesn’t support Apple Music just Airplay 2
I find that the best way to enjoy Lossless Apple Music wirelessly is through LDAC bluetooth. Still lossy, but sounds great. I just bypass the WiiM, and stream directly to my Topping Dx3 pro +’s LDAC bluetooth. When I’m too lazy with the wired iPad>Topping setup.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but how are managing this situation DAP manufacturers, like FiiO, to run Apple Music in HiRes, no resampling?. They use Android, but couldn't WiiM do the same in their own platform?.
That's a different type of device. The wiim is a low cost streaming endpoint. For ~$100. Not a mobile device running music apps. You run your app on your own phone or dap and choose to stream to it as an endpoint. Apples solution is airplay2. Just like Spotify connect, tidal connect or Google cast. If apple supported hi res over airplay2 then you would get it on the wiim.

Descartes

Major Contributor
That's a different type of device. The wiim is a low cost streaming endpoint. For ~$100. Not a mobile device running music apps. You run your app on your own phone or dap and choose to stream to it as an endpoint. Apples solution is airplay2. Just like Spotify connect, tidal connect or Google cast. If apple supported hi res over airplay2 then you would get it on the wiim.
Got it maybe Apple will start supporting High Red on Airplay 2 with WiFi 7!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it maybe Apple will start supporting High Red on Airplay 2 with WiFi 7!
Let's hope. It does seem odd that they made a big deal about having hi res on Apple music 2 years ago but don't have a streaming protocol that supports it.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Let's hope. It does seem odd that they made a big deal about having hi res on Apple music 2 years ago but don't have a streaming protocol that supports it.
With the Apple Vision Pro that just launched, they have High Resolution Audio!

Brantome

Major Contributor
With the Apple Vision Pro that just launched, they have High Resolution Audio!
It’s no surprise that Apple hardware supports hi res audio, it’s the ability to do that on other hardware that’s in question.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s no surprise that Apple hardware supports hi res audio, it’s the ability to do that on other hardware that’s in question.
Yeah. It's too bad none of their mobile devices have a headphone jack anymore. :facepalm:

fquails

My WiiM app on the iPhone freezes quite often. Just freezes, and unresponsive to my inputs. So I close and re-open the app to fix. iPhone 13 pro and WiiM always running latest firmware. Been going on a few months now. Anyone else or just me?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hopefully it will trickle down to the iPhone, Apple TV and their computers!

d3vil0

Can anyone answer my question about how Tidal Connect works exactly? Do I download the file to my smartphone and send it via WiFi to a device supporting Tidal Connect, such as Wiim Mini? Or is the file downloaded directly to Wiim Mini?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone answer my question about how Tidal Connect works exactly? Do I download the file to my smartphone and send it via WiFi to a device supporting Tidal Connect, such as Wiim Mini? Or is the file downloaded directly to Wiim Mini?
The file is streamed from Tidal cloud to the end device (the wiim). The phone is merely an interface navigation /remote after you have chosen the Wiim as the endpoint.

Forget the concept of donloading files, think more about where the stream from the cloud is going.

jooc

My WiiM app on the iPhone freezes quite often. Just freezes, and unresponsive to my inputs. So I close and re-open the app to fix. iPhone 13 pro and WiiM always running latest firmware. Been going on a few months now. Anyone else or just me?
Yes, I've noticed this too, although I think it hasn't happened in a while. Oddly iphone 13 pro max as well. I'll pay attention to when it happens again and try to figure out what's causing it, but it's typically something that's going to be fixed in an upcoming release here.

jooc

I sometimes wonder if it would be good to have a working FAQ for some of these services, I described how I sync Spotify free to multiple WiiM to someone the other day and they didn't know this despite having both wiim and spotify: Open spotify on PC or phone, start playing on any WiiM mini, go into WiiM app on phone, select the Mini that Spotify is playing on, select link icon, choose any and all other WiiMs you own, click done, about a second later you have multiple synced streams throughout your house, cd-quality.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I have no similar problem with my iPhone 12 mini. Consider sending a description of your problem at the 'Feedback' link within 'Settings' link of the WiiM Home app on your iPhone. I believe then WiiM can troubleshoot between your WiiM device and your iPhone.

Dominique-T

I got a strange finding when using the Wiim mini or the Wiim. This could may be explain the poor performance measured by Armin when using AirPlay.

When I use The Wiim app and Qobuz, when I play a 16bits 44Khz file, I get something like 1016 kbps. When I play the same file through AirPlay, I get only 256 Kbps, despite AirPlay is said to be bit perfect…

i can reproduce the same bug with wiim pro and wiim mini.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Have you double checked the streaming quality setting in the Qobuz app?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Excellent article, it says it all… AirPlay 2 is not bit perfect and convert to AAC 256 kbps…
Should be ok though with Qobuz at 16/44.1 CD quality. That seems ok on my WiiM devices, coming thru at 900kbps, 16/44.1 according to the WiiM app.

Top Bottom