• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q350 Speaker Review

VladimirJ

You need to disable "Direct mode" in order to one be able to adjust EQ. It's explicitly stated in their manual. I'd probably stay away from the Web settings and us the MusicCast mobile app which is much more intuitive. That web settings is one of the ugliest interface I've seen comparable to some cheap Wireless router you get off eBay!

As I stated even EQ adjustments on WXA-50, the bass (low) isn't good. As mentioned you have limited EQ adjustability Low/Mid/High. Whereas the WiiM amp, your have Graphic EQ and Parametric EQ (for the pros. with proper tools like Amir and they know what they're doing).
  • The WiiM sounded much better overall for my listening taste as I can tweak around the Graphic EQ to suit me and the EQ have already been changed again since my original post. Again "muddy" is when WiiM amp + Q350 when you leave all EQ to default. This can also be attributed purely to Q350 rather the WiiM amp itself. Even Amir did mentioned he had to make Parametric EQ to correct some of the issues. So it might be just the inherited issue of the speakers rather than the amp.
  • WiiM is definitely loud enough for me (I even set a Volume limit to 90% in the app). I do like cranking up volume when listening to music. Loud enough for my listening distance at least.
  • I don't think the WXA-50 is anaemic or lack of power overall. It's just the bass/low-end frequencies possibly only with Q350 but that's very much a Yamaha sound signature
  • I still think WXA-50 still sounded a bit clearer (maybe more separation or 'timbre" if I understand the term correctly) in the mid-upper-to-high. Female vocals and string instruments sound much better than WiiM amp with the Q350. As I've been using WXA-50 with the Q350 for over 6 years, I might have become used to brighter sound. I do remember that I did felt fatigued initially listening to Q350 + WXA-50 and which the sound was a bit warmer in the mids all those years ago.
Again, my experience and comments are highly subjective and very likely to be very wrong. My listening distance, room makeup, speaker placements, individual listening preference, etc. can affect the sound characteristics. I'd suggest you wait for WiiM amp arrive to determine yourself. No measurements or comments from anyone (inc. experts) except yourself to determine if the sound is better in your scenario. I'd love to hear back from you though once you got it!

No buyer's remorse. I'm happy to have replaced my WXA-50 with WiiM amp with Q350s for my use case. The features available on WiiM app comparing with MusicCast is much better from my perspective for what I needed. I'm happy with my overall setup and package (Q350 + WiiM amp).
Thank you very much for this detailed information.
My experience with WXA wasn't a bad one, on the contrary, but I did feel that it's tad underpowered and couldn't play as loud as I would like with my old Monitor Audio Bronze 4 floorstanders.
But, as you rightfully said, it is all subjective and depends on a variety of factors, different for each user. I gave the WXA to my son, together with a pair of Triangle BR03s, and he is very happy with the combination.
I guess I just need to wait out for the WiiM to arrive and decide for myself whether it was a good purchase. Here's hoping... :)
PS: also hoping there won't be any of the issues mentioned on forums (hum, hiss, static, HDMI issues, etc...)

soulfresh

Thank you very much for this detailed information.
My experience with WXA wasn't a bad one, on the contrary, but I did feel that it's tad underpowered and couldn't play as loud as I would like with my old Monitor Audio Bronze 4 floorstanders.
But, as you rightfully said, it is all subjective and depends on a variety of factors, different for each user. I gave the WXA to my son, together with a pair of Triangle BR03s, and he is very happy with the combination.
I guess I just need to wait out for the WiiM to arrive and decide for myself whether it was a good purchase. Here's hoping... :)
PS: also hoping there won't be any of the issues mentioned on forums (hum, hiss, static, HDMI issues, etc...)
I doubt the WiiM amp will have enough power for your floorstanders consider the WXA-50 isn't enough which both are quite similar. You might consider buying one more WiiM amp in mono mode for each speaker.

Other people can chime in but I think you're looking at the wrong product to drive your Monitor Audio Bronze 4 floorstanders!

Last edited:

VladimirJ

I doubt the WiiM amp will have enough power for your floorstanders consider the WXA-50 isn't enough which both are quite similar. You might consider buying one more WiiM amp in mono mode for each speaker.

Other people can chime in but I think you're looking at the wrong product to drive your Monitor Audio Bronze 4 floorstanders!
Thanks!
I won't be driving the MAs with WiiM - I have a pair of QA 3020i's ready for the WiiM. I used those with WXA as well, and it was a good match.
QAs are quite versatile in my view and I enjoyed them with several different low-power amps (both class D and class AB). I expect/hope they will also be a good match for the WiiM.

soulfresh

Thanks!
I won't be driving the MAs with WiiM - I have a pair of QA 3020i's ready for the WiiM. I used those with WXA as well, and it was a good match.
QAs are quite versatile in my view and I enjoyed them with several different low-power amps (both class D and class AB). I expect/hope they will also be a good match for the WiiM.
QA was on my shopping before I settled with my KEF Q350. If I recall correctly, I think the none 'i' QA 3020 was around back then. Even that one was well regarded by reviewers and publications.

If I don't already own Airpulse A100 in the office, I'd definitely go with a QA setup!

Last edited:

VladimirJ

The 3020i's were in competition with the PSB Alpha P5 when I chose speakers for my office. I liked the QAs more, so I bought them and didn't regret it.

Bucking

I currently have 3 of these in my home theatre setup (L C R) and use them with the port plugs, since they are relatively close to the wall.
But do the port plugs even do anything if I have my crossover set at 80HZ?

radix

Major Contributor
I currently have 3 of these in my home theatre setup (L C R) and use them with the port plugs, since they are relatively close to the wall.
But do the port plugs even do anything if I have my crossover set at 80HZ?
From Amir's review (on p. 1) the port plug barely did anything. So they don't really matter whatever the crossover.

index.php

If you look at the distortion graphs, I'd probably cross them at 100Hz.

Bucking

From Amir's review (on p. 1) the port plug barely did anything. So they don't really matter whatever the crossover.

index.php

If you look at the distortion graphs, I'd probably cross them at 100Hz.
Would that port plugs also do nothing if I have the speaker very close to the wall (About 15cm)

Top Bottom