• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Looks amazing! Well done.

Time to do the same to our new vehicle purchased over the weekend. View attachment 333428
Hey Aircooled, I had you up on a pedestal until I saw this, I'm afraid I'll have to downgrade you a notch. ;) Below is my sunny day (heck, anything but a rain storm) ride, expressing my opinion on the current automotive state of affairs. Haven't been keyed or fire bombed yet, but it's new and it's the rainy season...

1702500971628.jpeg

Last edited:

AirCooled32

Hey Aircooled, I had you up on a pedestal until I saw this, I'm afraid I'll have to downgrade you a notch. ;) Below is my sunny day (heck, anything but a rain storm) ride, expressing my opinion on the current automotive state of affairs. Haven't been keyed or fire bombed yet, but it's new and it's the rainy season...

View attachment 334061
Beautiful S2000! There will always be a place in my heart for one. How many miles are on it?

The SUV will our family hauler as well as my tow vehicle for the track toy.
Very nice! (My fav track via GranTurismo) :)

My brother has done a couple track days there. He now prefers canyon cruises and usually tries to have one planned for when i visit LA. His crew is top-notch, all with modified cars and racing experiance. I'll see if i can dig up a few pics to post. Would be funny if you recognise anyone/car...
What does your brother have? The modified vehicle scene is ginormous, it's quite unlikely that I'd recognize him.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Beautiful S2000! There will always be a place in my heart for one. How many miles are on it?

The SUV will our family hauler as well as my tow vehicle for the track toy.

What does your brother have? The modified vehicle scene is ginormous, it's quite unlikely that I'd recognize him.
Thanks, same to your "Clown Shoe" (I prefer Ski Boot) and black air cooled (would love a ride around the block in that puppy). The S2K is a 2006 AP2 and currently has about 56K on it, I've had it since 2009. It started life in Hollywood, so has Cali roots. Bone stock except a set of Enkeis and PS4s.

I parked once at a store with me in the middle of a row of 12 SUVs, provided the impetus for the license plate.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Love my wife's Miata - she's owned one since 2001 - but it's not so great for trips to the nursery or taking our Standard Poodle for a drive! :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case, anybody is interested:
- I recently did a trip to Yorkshire and back on my Hyundai Kona EV.
- each leg of journey was 200 miles, which was 180 miles motorway driving at 70mph mostly, and rest was urban.
- temperatures in 5-7 degrees C ( 40-45 F), driving at night with headlights and heaters on constantly.
- from a full charge, I was left with 25% juice left or another 60 miles or so!
- On my night electricity tariff, charging at home, would cost me £5 for a full charge. On public fast chargers, it would cost 8X that.
IMG_20231221_201614_edit_27187200593767~2.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Love my wife's Miata - she's owned one since 2001 - but it's not so great for trips to the nursery or taking our Standard Poodle for a drive! :)
Out driving near dusk one evening on roads new to me. Came to an end near a large mansion. Turned around at the gate. As I began going forward in my Miata with the top down of course I notice something on each side of me. A pair of Irish Wolfhounds. Looking down at me in my Miata. I drove slowly and they trotted along for about 100 meters (330 feet). I then sped up when they had gotten a little further away on each side. A bit surprising.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a little bit long but if you are a gear head (like me) you will find it interesting:
Not mine but Nicole (Driver) & Damon (Crew Chief) Elff's
It is a 1.9 liter Honda B-series Engine now making around 1600 HP (on methanol) at the wheels.
They are seen at the 1/4 mile drag strips from time to time (they run a full season but I don't go from track to track)
I just figured that I would show them & give out information that I could dig up on this 1992 Front Wheel Drive Honda Civic,
as their small engine program has been quite successful

Miss PSI 1500whp 119ci Honda B18 Motor

Elff’s best time in her 1992 Honda Civic is a 7.78 at 196mph, which at the time of this writing, makes her the seventh-quickest XFWD competitor in the world, and the second-fastest FWD female driver of all time.

This is the story of opportune meetings, overcoming odds, and unrelenting levels of girl power. It is also the story of an undersized Honda Civic, its equally tiny engine, and the tenacity that it takes to become one of the fastest front-wheel-drive drag racers on the planet.
For Process Development Manager, Nichole Elff, adrenaline has been a core component in her life for as long as memory serves. So when she was introduced to the import scene back in college, her interests pivoted from horseback riding, to customizing cars with friends on the weekends. The following twenty-year import automobile love affair would see Nichole start with a 1994 Acura Integra rocking basic bolt-ons, to what what you see here today: A dedicated XFWD championship Honda race car driver with stacks of wins to her name, including the title of 2nd fastest FWD female driver in history.

All of this has been made possible by a surprisingly small powerplant: A 119ci 4-cylinder B18 Honda engine that puts down around 1,500 wheel-horsepower. If our math is correct, that averages out to an astonishing 12.6 horsepower per cubic inch. Compare that to a Pro Modified car, which is averaging anywhere from 7 to 8 hp/ci, and you can see the performance appeal of this Honda platform. However, what you don’t see are the tuning and engine-building challenges of running a dedicated race program that can safely and consistently supply these extremes, which as Nichole explains translates to, “…overbuild, demand high quality, and constantly seek out the weakest link.”
These values have also helped determine how Nichole’s Civic engine gets rebuilt after every other event or so. For as she is quick to admit, there is always room for improvement on her overbored B18C Honda motor, with the latest and greatest being of particular interest to us here at EngineLabs.
Indy Racing and High-Speed Honda Goals
As for the racing side of this story, that all starts way back in 2006 when Nichole moved to Indianapolis. It was there that she became part of a car forum called IndyHP, where she met her eventual husband, Damon. A 2007 trip to a NOPI Drag Racing Association event marked Nichole’s first time seeing ProFWD and SFWD racing, and it blew her mind that these cars were running nines in the quarter-mile. An event that left such a memorable impression, that she returned home, fully determined to start her own SFWD Honda Civic build.
Flip forward a decade, and Nichole was still sitting in the grandstands. The year was 2018, and while she had been actively competing for years, her Honda was just a tenth off of the minimum ET requirement to be labeled as a True Street WCF competitor. The following year, she officially qualified for WCF, where she made it all the way to the quarter-finals that year. She told herself that if she broke cage certification (8.50) it was time to jump head-first into drag racing. She proceeded to run an 8.49 in the first round of eliminations and that pretty much changed everything.

King offers rod bearings for aluminum rods with locating dowels. These extreme-duty components are required for such insane cylinder pressures.
The following year, in 2020, Nichole bought a fresh Honda Civic chassis, which quickly transformed into the “Miss PSI” car you see today. Come 2021, Nichole’s husband left professional racing so that he could focus full-time on his wife’s drag racing passion while growing his tuning presence via his business, Demon Motorsports. This decision proved fruitful, and that year brought with it runner-up finishes at the car’s first two events, before finishing off the season with the couple securing a WCF True Street win.
By 2022, Nichole and Damon had swapped in a much larger Precision Next Gen R 73.9 turbo to help break into the elusive seven-second zone. An accomplishment that would eventually be obtained during a 2022 FL2K qualifying round, making Nichole the first female in XFWD history to run a seven-second pass. Later in that same event her Honda ran a 7.84 and put its driver on the world’s top 10 list. 2023 brought with it a 7.78 at 196mph pass, thus making Miss PSI the 7th fastest competitor in the world and the 2nd fastest FWD female of all time.
The XFWD class is full of gear-banging adrenaline junkies that are constantly balancing the knife edge of performance, traction, and guts.
The XFWD class is full of gear-banging adrenaline junkies that are constantly balancing the knife edge of performance, traction, and guts.

XFWD FTW PPL!​

Being that this is an “XFWD” (Xtreme Front Wheel Drive) Challenge program we speak of, one of the biggest challenges is keeping the engine alive long enough to go the distance and compete in all rounds. Having enough performance left in the tank to compete in the final rounds, and occasionally turn things up a notch remains a concern at every race event.
One of the ways Nichole and Damon have been able to prolong the longevity of their Civic’s screamer of an engine is to check bearing wear after events, and then tear the engine down for a full inspection every two to three events. This may seem overkill (not to mention extremely time-consuming) but it allows Nichole’s team to address any underlying issues early on, and ascertain where weaknesses may be festering.
For instance, in 2022, the Miss PSI team’s biggest stumbling block was getting a head gasket to survive multiple events. They found out this was due to the amount of traction control needed for short-track grip. By moving the entire engine program over to a billet B-Series block from Bullet Race Engineering, the team was able to improve block rigidity and head gasket performance. This was achieved by the block’s larger, 14mm head studs and the company’s signature beryllium copper “Fire Ring” gasket set.
Being one of the few XFWD cars running a wet-deck billet block, the Miss PSI team had to work around (and through) quite a few learning curves to get optimal performance out of this fresh setup. But after a few missteps, the team came out swinging at the World Series of ProMod and ran a top event ET with a 7.78 at 196mph. This was when the car secured that aforementioned “7th fastest XFWD in the world” title.
We don’t normally dyno the engine to max power, but estimate 1,600 wheel-horsepower, based on fuel consumption and trap speed. — Nichole Elff
Miss PSI 1500whp 119ci Honda B18 Motor
pMax Kote bearings from King Engine Bearings being installed into the Miss PSI Bullet Engineering billet B18 block, along with a set of BME aluminum rods.
Throughout the rest of the 2022 season, Nichole and her team continued to try fresh upgrades, with different rotating assembly combinations being the primary focus. Then, come mid-2023, the switch to pMax Kote main rod bearings from King Engine Bearings was made, which proved to be a very wise decision.
Remember a few paragraphs back, when we mentioned that checking the engine’s bearings after each event was a mandatory quality control procedure for this race team? Well just after the first event, the Miss PSI crew saw improved outcomes with that fresh King Bearings combo, with wear being minimized significantly. And so the team opted to run those same main bearings for all five of the final events, which in turn helped them win the 2023 FL2K XFWD Street class trophy, and a nice little chunk of change in prize money.

After each event, a full engine teardown takes place back at the shop. Here, you can see that the bearings previously used in the Miss PSI B18 (TOP) came out worn to hell and back after a single event. Meanwhile, very little coating seems to have been removed from the units from King Engine Bearings.

The Importance of Being “Over-bearing”​

Being that Damon is the mad scientist behind the keys to this machine, Nichole explains that his “forever job” is finding the optimal tune for the track that can bring that knife-edge balance of performance that his bride requires. Just another husband and wife team building a 1,500-plus horsepower Honda Civic in-house for fun.
And while Nichole counts herself extremely fortunate to have a partner who supports her “crazy passion,” she knows that he too enjoys taking his knowledge from Indycar and Sportscar racing and applying these innovative solutions to the Miss PSI race program. Together with the help of their small, but dedicated village, this car has skyrocketed to the top in record time.

According to Damon, switching the little Honda over to the pMax Kote series from King Engine Bearings in the middle of the 2023 season has been one of the most surprising game-changers for the team. Up until that point, it was common for the rod bearings to wipe the coatings right off after just a single event, whereas these pMax Kote units looked brand new race after race.
Not only does this specialized coating withstand the harsh environment found within this force-fed race engine, but the shape of the bearing itself refuses to warp like other products. This has resulted in greater reliability and performance as well.
The confidence that products such as these provide has allowed the team to push the platform harder than ever before, and set their sites on even greater heights in the 2024 race season. Nichole and Damon Elff aren’t done yet. Apparently, they now have their sights set on making Nichole the first XFWD driver in history to pilot a car to 200mph. No small feat for a little 1.9-liter four-cylinder engine.

MissPSI XFWD Engine Spec Sheet​

Owner: Nichole Elff
Engine (Model or Family): Honda B18C
Builder: 4 Piston Cylinder Heads
Machine Shop (If different from builder): N/A
Total Displacement: 1.9 liters
Bore x Stroke: 84mm x 89mm
Block: Bullet Engineering Billet B-series
Crankshaft: OEM B18B
Bearings: King Racing PMaxKote
Rods: BME Aluminum
Pistons: CP
Rings (size, type, brand): Proprietary
Oil Pump: 4 Piston ported OEM pump
Oil Pan: Moroso
Timing Set: Gates timing belt & Ramey Racing adjustable cam gears
Cylinder Heads: 4Piston Outlaw Front Runner CNC Cylinder Head, 6mm Stub nose guides, A3
Beryllium valve seats
Port Work: 4 Piston
Valves: Ferrea super alloy plus valves, 4P 6mm exhaust valves,
Valve Springs: Ferrea valve springs, retainers, and locks
Flow numbers: will need to ask 4 Piston
Camshaft(s): Web Cams Turbo B-series roller camshaft
Rockers: Ferrea roller rocker
EFI System: Motec M150
Injectors: Injector Dynamics
Throttle Body: Proprietary
Intake Manifold: Skunk 2 Ultra Race Manifold
Headers: Speedfactory Forward Facing Manifold
Power Adder: Precision Next Gen R 73.9 turbo
Ignition System: Motec Ignition 1A coils
Fuel System: Weldon Mechanical fuel pump
Fuel Type: Methanol
Horsepower: 1,500 whp

Article Sources​

King Engine Bearings
https://www.kingbearings.com
(973) 857-0705

More Sources​

Precision Turbo & Engine
https://precisionturbo.net
(219) 996-7832
MoTeC
https://www.motec.com.au/
(704) 799-3800
4 Piston Racing
http://www.4pistonracing.com/
(317) 440-6777
micahwright EMAIL ME
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Micah Wright
Raised on LEGOs by grandfathers who insisted on fixing everything themselves, Micah has been a petrolhead in training since age four. His favorite past times include craft beer, strong cigars, fast cars, and culinary creativity in all of its forms.
READ MY ARTICLES

Anton D

Wow!

I'd like to drive it but not maintain it!

Thank you!

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow!

I'd like to drive it but not maintain it!

Thank you!
They are making their living running this car.
The HP per Liter is astounding!
She managed to turn her dream into reality (& this was no small dream!)
E.J.3

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not really a car guy, but I’ve had my eye on the Audi A7 for several years. I’m considering getting a 2022 model this summer.

Any negatives I should think about before making a purchase? Reliability is a concern. Moving from a 2012 Acura TL that will go to my newly-driving daughter.

escape2

We've had several Audis over the years... an A4 and a Q5. Reliability isn't the greatest, and they're not cheap to repair, but they're fun cars with beautiful interiors and well put together. Get an extended warranty if you're planning to keep it for a while.

AlfaHolic

I’ve had an S4, and RS4 and have been driving a 2016 S7 for the last 8 years. I’ve been one of the lucky ones in terms of reliability— essentially no problems with any of them — but maintenance and repairs are expensive. The S7 is a very well designed and built car. It drives and handles very well, is comfortable, and the hatchback design makes it very practical. It easily carries bikes, snowboards and surfboards. I’ve been very happy with it.

Anton D

Overlap!

My wife drives a 2015 S4 that we APR'd and, knock wood, no issues, ever. Today is oil change day!I would buy this car again in a heartbeat, but now the APR mods are not allowed by the state, or some such nonsense.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not really a car guy, but I’ve had my eye on the Audi A7 for several years. I’m considering getting a 2022 model this summer.

Any negatives I should think about before making a purchase? Reliability is a concern. Moving from a 2012 Acura TL that will go to my newly-driving daughter.
Ditto on cost to repair on Audi's but driving experience was good, but not as good as my BMW M3. Consider a BMW, reliability has risen quite a bit on those of late. The new Acura's are not a bad driving experience ether and reliability, it's hard to beat them.

middlemarch

Forum Donor

I'm on my third Audi, had a 2010 A6 Avant, then a 2016 A7 for 6 years, now a 2023 Allroad.

I've actually had pretty good luck in terms of reliability, the A7 had no issues in 54,000 miles. The A7 is definitely the looker of the bunch, but you pay for that in reduced headroom and a slightly more claustrophobic interior. The hatchback is great and lets you swallow a lot of stuff so long as it's not too tall. Mine was a diesel with the ZF 8 speed transmission. Fantastic torque and the best automatic ever made, plus 38mpg at 85mph. Superb long distance cruiser.

The 2022 will be a gas engine and have the dual clutch 7 speed automatic unless you get the S7 version. The A7 should get you 33mpg on the highway, around 22-24 around town (my 2023 is mechanically almost identical to the 2022 A7). Air suspension is an option, with that the ride is phenomenal, best I've ever experienced. If no air suspension then stay away from 20 or 21 inch wheels. Ride is much better with 19s and you give up no handling. If you're willing to give a bit on looks consider the A6. A bit cheaper and better head room. Also, get the Prestige with the Luxury package. That gets you double pane glass and the "comfort" seats, which are fantastic, standard seats not so much.

And finally, apropos this forum, the standard B&O sound system is fantastic! My 2016 A7 had the Bose, which was horrible. There's also a $5K option for the super B&O "3D" system, but can't imagine it's worth the money over the standard B&O, but as a used car if it has it, could be nice.

Oh, lest I forget, the 2019 through current V6 and V8 cars have a 48V mild hybrid system using a "belt starter/generator" or BSG. This is a reliability issue, many having failed and will leave the car undrivable (drains batteries to nothing). There is an upgrade fix but parts shortages mean they're only slowly getting replaced. Check to see if this has been done.

That new TLX seems like a really nice car...

Willem

Major Contributor
I am not really into cars, because I find driving boring, and not very good for the environment. We drive a twenty five year old low mileage Peugeot 406 (2 litre automatic) and it does what is on the tin: it is very reliable, comfortable, stylish, and has good handling. Now that our daughter has started on her first real job as a school teacher she needed a car to drive to the village where she is now teaching, so for now we lent her ours. Living car free is really not a problem, we discover once again. Our house is in town and just a short walk from the nearest supermarket. My wife works in the city centre, and that is just a fifteen minute bicycle ride. So we are doing fine for now.
This made me think again: why not give up on a car altogether once again, as we did for a long time in the past? Alternatively, I have been looking at private lease contracts for used Teslas, and those are now predicted to drop to perhaps 350 euros a month by the end of the year (currently about 500 euros). In reality it may be a bit more once you include more annual miles etc, but even so, it would be comparable to owning the Peugeot, given the savings on fuel. It would be the last big measure we can take ourselves to reduce our CO2 emissions, now that we have just changed to a fully electric heat pump for heating and tap water (love it, by the way). Are such private lease contracts of used Teslas a viable option in the US as well?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not really into cars, because I find driving boring, and not very good for the environment. We drive a twenty five year old low mileage Peugeot 406 (2 litre automatic) and it does what is on the tin: it is very reliable, comfortable, stylish, and has good handling. Now that our daughter has started on her first real job as a school teacher she needed a car to drive to the village where she is now teaching, so for now we lent her ours. Living car free is really not a problem, we discover once again. Our house is in town and just a short walk from the nearest supermarket. My wife works in the city centre, and that is just a fifteen minute bicycle ride. So we are doing fine for now.
This made me think again: why not give up on a car altogether once again, as we did for a long time in the past? Alternatively, I have been looking at private lease contracts for used Teslas, and those are now predicted to drop to perhaps 350 euros a month by the end of the year (currently about 500 euros). In reality it may be a bit more once you include more annual miles etc, but even so, it would be comparable to owning the Peugeot, given the savings on fuel. It would be the last big measure we can take ourselves to reduce our CO2 emissions, now that we have just changed to a fully electric heat pump for heating and tap water (love it, by the way). Are such private lease contracts of used Teslas a viable option in the US as well?
You can assume an existing lease. You also can lease used cars though it is not common. Typically lending institutions will only lease on cars 4 years old or less with 48k miles (about 75k km) or less plus only if they are Certified Pre-owned cars from New Car dealerships. CPO cars will have been inspected by the dealer and have a clean record of any accident history or so the story goes.

Willem

Major Contributor
In the Netherlands these Tesla's are former leased company fleet cars that are now hitting the used car market in pretty large numbers. Since maintenance costs are pretty low on EVs they seem an attractive proposition for specialized lease companies. They come in different grades, from near mint to signs of use and some scratches etc. The prices I quoted are for the latter category, since I don't care, and include insurance and road tax. We live in a (large) detached house, with our own driveway and hence we can easily charge the car. The heat pump required an upgrade to our electrical connection, so we can now also charge on site, and in Summer from our own solar panels (in Winter it will be from the grid, of course). Fortunately the supply from the grid is also becoming more and more sustainable, with in 2023 about half the country's electricity coming from solar and wind power. Coal in particular is rapidly declining.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom