• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

Pritaudio

sorry if you repeated this. What are your pleasure listening systems then. and how do they differ from the Neumann sound. ignorance is bliss?
I think this is very true. There may be some overlap between the two in certain instances. For my purposes the KH150's will be as studio monitors only. I have several other speaker systems for pleasure listenin

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great question. I have four pleasure listening systems. The best uses Legacy Focus speakers. Next is a system using Klipsch Cornwall IV's. The other two use Klipsch Forte III speakers.

However, sometimes I use my Neuman KH310's, KH120's/KH750 or KH150's for pleasure listening also. I like variety.

Here is the system with Legacy Focus speakers.

20230115_182028.jpg

spamilton

Great question. I have four pleasure listening systems. The best uses Legacy Focus speakers. Next is a system using Klipsch Cornwall IV's. The other two use Klipsch Forte III speakers.

However, sometimes I use my Neuman KH310's, KH120's/KH750 or KH150's for pleasure listening also. I like variety.

Here is the system with Legacy Focus speakers.

View attachment 271929
Someone likes PRS, heheh. Very nice.

Pritaudio

Sorry to post this here, but does anyone know of boxed speakers 2 or 3 way, but without crossovers.
I would like to use minidsp flex 8 way for active crossovers with Dirac live and mic.
3 way would be preferred.
I would then use hypex amps.
but I don’t want to build or install speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers without a crossover are generally not very useful, so therefore you will not find many.

For PA, you may find some speakers without crossovers, because they expect you to use your own processors.

I think the JBL M2 can be had without a crossover, but that may not be in your budget.

The best bet is to just buy something half-decent and rip out the existing crossovers.

Pritaudio

It won’t be as simple as just using Dirac live with mic to control active crossovers with the complexity of the room, changes in audio volume, and directivity of listening spot (s).

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to post this here, but does anyone know of boxed speakers 2 or 3 way, but without crossovers.
I would like to use minidsp flex 8 way for active crossovers with Dirac live and mic.
3 way would be preferred.
I would then use hypex amps.
but I don’t want to build or install speakers.
Why are you spamming this thread instead of opening your own?

dickiefunk

When, and at what cost? My main worry is that is becomes harder and harder to service the KH120 in a few years, and I have heard of people having issues with PSU and noise after 5-6 years of use. Whether it is something your typical electronics repair person could fix or not I am unsure.

I would be surprised if the KH120II’s are drastically different and would expect they use many of the same or similar parts. As a result, repair for the KH120’s “should” be fine IF you need it. However, this is speculation and we won’t know until they are announced!
I’ve had my KH120’s for over 12 years and haven’t had a single issue!

I’m hoping we’ll know more about the KH120II’s at NAMM next month?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound & Recording review and (excellent) measurements:

KH150CEA-580x353.png
KH150FRE-580x430.png
KH150hor-580x357.png
KH150ver-580x357.png
KH150MAX-580x432.png
KH150MLT-580x432.png
KH150PHA-580x421.png
KH150SPC-580x435.png

KH150CMP-580x441.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:)

There is an english version of the full article on the Neumann website as well.
Yes, my earlier link just included the measurements, now also the review is added for free view. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sound & Recording review and (excellent) measurements:

View attachment 275923View attachment 275925View attachment 275926View attachment 275931View attachment 275927View attachment 275928View attachment 275929View attachment 275930
View attachment 275924
… nice … and as straight as it gets (as expected from Neumann) - cool, they really have this worked out. Also nice directivity.

Ze Frog

What is the reason they went with a 7 inch and not an 8 inch except the KH310 ?
Centre to centre spacing is one consideration no doubt, bigger certainly isn't always better. Take the JBL L100's for instance, uses a whacking great 12 inch driver with serious heft and looks really well engineered but the 6.5" in the KH 150 gets lower.

teashea

One very important factor is the listening distance. The KH150 is primarily designed as a nearfield monitor for studios. That is how I use both pairs of mine. My listening distance is one meter. This minimizes the important of room acoustics, particularly when used in a large room, such as my studio (approx 18 feet by 40 feet). Reflections from walls are very low level compared to the direct sound from the monitors. Moreover, the KH150's have a pretty tightly focused dispersion pattern, and front ports, contributing to the minimal importance of the room.

Ze Frog

One very important factor is the listening distance. The KH150 is primarily designed as a nearfield monitor for studios. That is how I use both pairs of mine. My listening distance is one meter. This minimizes the important of room acoustics, particularly when used in a large room, such as my studio (approx 18 feet by 40 feet). Reflections from walls are very low level compared to the direct sound from the monitors. Moreover, the KH150's have a pretty tightly focused dispersion pattern, and front ports, contributing to the minimal importance of the room.
Iplan on using from 2.5 to 3 meters distance, in a room about 4.5 x 6 meters, what do you reckon to that?

I'm thinking it should be fine, it's just me anyway, so I can move nearer etc as I see fit without anyone to object.

Curvature

Major Contributor
This minimizes the important of room acoustics, particularly when used in a large room, such as my studio (approx 18 feet by 40 feet).
While the speaker dominates the steady-state response above ~1kHz, the room is small in acoustical terms (large rooms begin when at least one dimension is 55ft long, one wavelength of 20Hz), and reflections have an important role to the overall character. The path length of a single reflection, conservatively, if you are in the center of your room, will be 40ft, equivalent to 36ms, well within the fusion interval of the ear. Anywhere else in the room the pathlength and time gap will be shorter.
Reflections from walls are very low level compared to the direct sound from the monitors.
Frequency-dependent and likely untrue anyway, even with treatment.
Moreover, the KH150's have a pretty tightly focused dispersion pattern,
Tightly controlled but not necessarily narrow. Certainly not unusual for a speaker.
and front ports
Irrelevant.
contributing to the minimal importance of the room.
Uneducated conclusion.
Iplan on using from 2.5 to 3 meters distance, in a room about 4.5 x 6 meters, what do you reckon to that?

I'm thinking it should be fine, it's just me anyway, so I can move nearer etc as I see fit without anyone to object.
It's fine. I would recommend a sub for bass if you can accomodate it and to think about how you will include EQ in the signal path.

@teashea has been polluting this thread with at worst useless and best partially-correct comments for a long time.

"Minimizing room influence" is the wrong goal and wrong way to think about the interactions of speakers and rooms.

Top Bottom