• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Weird KH420 which is much bigger has only slightly more recommended distance
Screenshot_20230109_062316_Google.jpg

And 8361, Don't know what is the recommended distance but found this :
Screenshot_20230109_062601_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

danbei

In short, if you are listening from far away, small speakers may not be able to reach loud enough levels for general music listening.
This is clear to me. I was specifically asking teashea and specifically about the kh150 as I though he was implying there is something else than level capability as far as the KH150 is concerned. I apreciate your documented response though.
The Neumann owner's manual states that it is best for nearfield use 1 meter to 2.5 meters. My listening tests for two days confirm this. So I agree with the Neumann audio engineers who developed it.
Unfortunately this does not answer my question.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do you have a current setup? You can get an estimate of your SPL requirements with your phone. I’m always blown away by how loud some people listen to their speakers, I’m never anywhere near the power handling for most gear.
You can't estimate it with your phone.At best it will report the max,not the peaks.
Use REW's meter instead,they are the best free choice.And you will maybe be surprised with the peaks of an 80db(A) average listening.

(look up,109db(Z) peak for 80db(A) average of a non "crazy" DR song)

logger.PNG

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can't estimate it with your phone.At best it will report the max,not the peaks.
Use REW's meter instead,they are the best free choice.And you will maybe be surprised with the peaks of an 80db(A) average listening.

(look up,109db(Z) peak for 80db(A) average of a non "crazy" DR song)

View attachment 256030

Did you get the measurement microphone calibrated? I did it once with the voltage method but do not really trust the RTA results it provides.
And when we speak about headroom, does this includes peak or max? I understood it that way that max SPL capabilities are long term average (there might be a technical term), while headroom is short term.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Did you get the measurement microphone calibrated? I did it once with the voltage method but do not really trust the RTA results it provides.
And when we speak about headroom, does this includes peak or max? I understood it that way that max SPL capabilities are long term average (there might be a technical term), while headroom is short term.
What you see up the top is the absolute peaks.You can also see the noise floor,average,etc.
Yes,calibrated mic and everything,capture is at MLP.

You can see more (and more extreme here).

There's also a mention for the Decibel X app who seems to be able to toggle between max and peak,so it can come handy.

teashea

Has anyone else noticed that in most of the photos of the KH150 there is a dent in the center of the woofer cover?

dent.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

elbenderman

Neumann kh150 are representing a new line of monitors from neumann along with kh80. They are dsp, class d equiped and have less in common with kh120 and kh310. I suppose both models(kh120/310) will be renewed with class d and dsp engine and some other improvements that will bump their price as well. Unfortunately for us for the time being.
Interesting. I am about to grab a pair of KH120As at 820 Canadian each (usually 969) and am wondering if I would be smart to hold out. I dont know if the price bump would be worth it, especially considering I am already getting a deal.

teashea

Interesting. I am about to grab a pair of KH120As at 820 Canadian each (usually 969) and am wondering if I would be smart to hold out. I dont know if the price bump would be worth it, especially considering I am already getting a deal.
They are very good as they are but I suspect they will be better in the new version. But when? I have KH120's with a KH750, which adds DSP to them. They are quite excellent.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why not just get the KH150?
A 5 inch woofer is limiting anyways

elbenderman

They are very good as they are but I suspect they will be better in the new version. But when? I have KH120's with a KH750, which adds DSP to them. They are quite excellent.
When, and at what cost? My main worry is that is becomes harder and harder to service the KH120 in a few years, and I have heard of people having issues with PSU and noise after 5-6 years of use. Whether it is something your typical electronics repair person could fix or not I am unsure.

BDE

[...] My main worry is that is becomes harder and harder to service the KH120 in a few years, and I have heard of people having issues with PSU and noise after 5-6 years of use.[...]
From my perspective a KH120 will be easier to service than a KH150, also long-term due to the lack of DSP. Anyhow the Sennheiser/ Neumann service is top notch so I don`t worry service availabilities for any of their products. Same is true for Genelec and this is a huge difference/ competitive edge to small and often "new" companies (which offers those expensive active speaker) or "low end" monitor speaker (anyhow they are cheap so you can replace them when damaged).

teashea

I am setting up another small recording console in my studio. I need monitors and just ordered pair of KH120's. For my main area I have KH120/KH750, KH 310's and KH150's. They cost $700 US each.

Top Bottom