• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400se Owner's Thread.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In case it helps anyone else, I bought a pair of HE400SE’s as a Christmas present to myself in December. I have a few good headphones so wasn’t expecting much for the price, just something to keep me busy over the Christmas period. Long story short, I was so impressed by them, I ordered the Sundara.

On my head, with my ears, the Sundara were not as good. Everything was less. It’s odd as people seem to love the Sundara. Just another reminder that higher cost doesn’t always equate to higher performance.

In case the upgrade bug kicks in, bear in mind.

And if you have the Sundaras and think I’m completely wrong, good for you. This is merely my experience I’m sharing, to save others who are obsessive upgrader’s like myself.
Comparing the HE400SE and the Sundara re distortion I would say the HE400SE is better as distortion accross the board is low at 104dB & below, and you'd be listening to 104dB peaks with some substantial bass EQ at quite loud levels, that's the relevance of the 104dB line in the bass:
index.php

Whereas in the bass in the Sundara, which incidentally needs a lot more bass boost than the HE400SE, you have worse distortion in the bass:
index.php

The 104dB lines & 114dB lines don't have any relevance above 100Hz as you're not gonna be listening to 104dB/114dB at 200Hz and above, but you are quite likely to be listening to 104dB (and sometimes above in some circumstances) in the bass after EQ. So for all practical purposes the two headphones have the "the same" distortion above 200Hz as the listening levels will be low there, (below 94dB), but it's in the bass that matters in this instance between these two headphones, and the HE400SE wins out there by virtue of requiring less bass boost for a start, but by also having less distortion in that area too.

As for the frequency response between the HE400SE and the Sundara, the HE400SE is a bit smoother above 5kHz than the Sundara whilst both have good channel matching, and of course the HE400SE having the better bass extension as already mentioned - another win in my eyes for the HE400SE here, although I don't like the shenanigans at around 1800Hz in the HE400SE with that quick sudden dip, but you could EQ that area up with a fairly relaxed filter at 2kHz and you'd just be left with that small sharp dip (not perfect, but on balance I'd choose the HE400SE frequency response & it's a better value headphone too):

index.php

index.php

On a quick tangent, for some reason planar headphones often have these sharp/small variations above 1kHz, for instance my HE4XX after being measured on my miniDSP EARS and then converted (roughly I stress) to a GRAS measurement:
HE4XX converted to GRAS.jpg

And then my dynamic driver headphone K702 measured on my miniDSP EARS and converted to GRAS:
K702 Unit #3 converted to GRAS.jpg

You can see above that the dynamic driver headphone is smoother on a "micro" level.....just something I've noticed with planar headphones being rougher - the DCA Stealth is the exception though and they employed some clever acoustically 3D designed/shaped "baffle" to get rid of cancellations & standing waves, with the resultant frequency response being exceptionally smooth for a planar:

Dan Clark Stealth Frequency Response Measurements.png

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would converting these from unbalanced to balanced give it more power? These are rated 91db with 25ohm impedance and tend to require more current.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
20ohms give you just over 5 Volts max, is that enough?
index.php
328 MV needed for 94 dB SPL on these cans. Some bright spark could work out what 5v would get I'm sure.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ex5 Should be plenty enough for the job then.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ex5 isnt balanced. Front xlr out is same as 6.35mm. So dont spend money on that extra cable for this amp. Looks powerful enough unless you use heavy eq though.
Glad you pointed that out, I had completely missed that bit of specifications about it not being balanced. I do EQ these heavily to the Harman curve using Oratory's EQ with a preamp gain of -9.2.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad you pointed that out, I had completely missed that bit of specifications about it not being balanced. I do EQ these heavily to the Harman curve using Oratory's EQ with a preamp gain of -9.2.
(Nice headphone DAC/amp - Ex5)

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been really happy with the pairing of the HE400se and a Topping DX3 Pro+. Plenty of headroom there. I did toss the cable as soon as they came in (mine came with the original bread-tie cable).

I always wanted to try Heart Audio's modular cables, so I splurged and bought the dual 3.5mm balanced cable with a couple of different interconnects (3.5mm TRS and 4-pin XLR) so that I can use them with different amps I have around the house, including an old THX AAA 789. The cable is super soft, and the modular aspect is pretty cool, so I would buy again.

wolf_walker

Are the pad frames on these the same as the 400i or Sundara? I'm dying for some memory foam.

RichT

He all, well I bought an open box pair from ebay for $96 including shipping and tax. I am really impressed, they are tons of fun. Using the black cable for now and stock earpads. Is it easy to change the pads for the perforated version? The perform great as is, would a balanced cable knock my sox off? Kind regards

Timbo2

He all, well I bought an open box pair from ebay for $96 including shipping and tax. I am really impressed, they are tons of fun. Using the black cable for now and stock earpads. Is it easy to change the pads for the perforated version? The perform great as is, would a balanced cable knock my sox off? Kind regards

If your amp plays loud enough there is little to be gained going balanced. OTH, I found new pads to be both more comfortable and they provided a better seal which resulted in better bass for me.

Details on the pads here:

lain

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering if I've been sold a V1 as V2. There's no sticker on the box or print on the metal frame indicating stealth magnets. The cable, however, is black.

What do you think? Is there something else I should verify?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey everyone!

I'm wondering if I've been sold a V1 as V2. There's no sticker on the box or print on the metal frame indicating stealth magnets. The cable, however, is black.

What do you think? Is there something else I should verify?
Trust me, you want the black cable!

Top Bottom