• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400se Owner's Thread.

Neutronman

I love these, especially for the $. I'm also using the Topping DX3 Pro+ and couldn't be happier for a great headphone rig for under $350. In high gain, it has all the volume that I can stand.
That's good to know as the DXpro+ is on my short list.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Mine arrived today after months agonising over hifiman or sennheiser cans.

Plugged themdirectly into cd player very nice.

Currently plugged directly into Wiim, level 10 volume is almost too loud, but agreeable. Warm rich sound with Spotify.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The loved the SQ but had the infamous channel balance issue.

I ended up returning to Amazon and got Sundara and very happy.

Maybe I should have tried another HE400se to see if I got a good pair but happy with Sundara.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The loved the SQ but had the infamous channel balance issue.

I ended up returning to Amazon and got Sundara and very happy.

Maybe I should have tried another HE400se to see if I got a good pair but happy with Sundara.
How'd you find out about the channel imbalance?

Music1969

Major Contributor
How'd you find out about the channel imbalance?
Quite simple : I listened to music. Vocals that should be center were shifted right.

Playing mono is best.

You can't miss this.

I checked with my other headphones and none had this issue.

But just to rule out someone saying it is my hearing, flipped left and right earcups around and indeed the shift when to other side of center.

Then I googled and saw many complaints of the same.

I guess for such a low price, QA/QC cost cutting is to be expected.

I could have kept returning via Amazon until I found a good pair but i thought Sundara should be better build quality and indeed it is

Music1969

Major Contributor
miniDSP EARS is probably good to have to check for channel imbalance a bit better than just by ear.

Check entire 20-20kHz

xavx

Was initially happy with mine but ended returning it. A slight imbalance started bothering me and the velour from the earpads started to come off after few days of use only, making them itchy and wondering how long these earpads would last. Will pick them back when on discount as I enjoyed the sound purity/clarity and layering.

Adaboy4z

I'm hoping to get some Dekoni pads on Black Friday because I definitely want more sub bass. I replaced the pads on my Monoprice 116150 with Brainwavz XL Memory foam pads and they are bass monsters. The only reason I subscribed to Roon was to EQ my headphones particularly the sub bass. I recently picked up the HD6XX to compare the two regarding bass and overall sound. I feel the HE400se has a wider sound stage either way they both sound good, but lack sub bass. I use the Fiio K7 headphone amp it has plenty plenty of power for all.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hoping to get some Dekoni pads on Black Friday because I definitely want more sub bass. I replaced the pads on my Monoprice 116150 with Brainwavz XL Memory foam pads and they are bass monsters. The only reason I subscribed to Roon was to EQ my headphones particularly the sub bass. I recently picked up the HD6XX to compare the two regarding bass and overall sound. I feel the HE400se has a wider sound stage either way they both sound good, but lack sub bass. I use the Fiio K7 headphone amp it has plenty plenty of power for all.
I got the fenestrated sheepskin pads, and they work really well with the HE400, but definitely get the pads that suit your taste and budget.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You never really need aftermarket pads unless you can't manage the stock ones due to comfort, otherwise you can just use EQ if your source allows it. In fact, it's better to use EQ to change the sound rather than a pad change where you won't be sure what the change to the frequency response really is. Using stock pads will not invalidate EQ's (for instance Oratory's), but as soon as you put on aftermarket pad you can't be sure you can use an Oratory EQ as the frequency response will have changed in unpredictable ways. The exception to this rule is if there are measurements showing stock pads vs aftermarket pads so you can account for the difference in frequency response with EQ.

Adaboy4z

You never really need aftermarket pads unless you can't manage the stock ones due to comfort, otherwise you can just use EQ if your source allows it. In fact, it's better to use EQ to change the sound rather than a pad change where you won't be sure what the change to the frequency response really is. Using stock pads will not invalidate EQ's (for instance Oratory's), but as soon as you put on aftermarket pad you can't be sure you can use an Oratory EQ as the frequency response will have changed in unpredictable ways. The exception to this rule is if there are measurements showing stock pads vs aftermarket pads so you can account for the difference in frequency response with EQ.
I currently use Oratory EQ settings that I found on here for the HD6xx sounds good bass wise. I use the EQ setting recommended by Amir for the HE400se. I like many enjoy sub bass in headphones. If there is a free EQ program that works with Tidal, Spotify and Intune radio that would be great.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently use Oratory EQ settings that I found on here for the HD6xx sounds good bass wise. I use the EQ setting recommended by Amir for the HE400se. I like many enjoy sub bass in headphones. If there is a free EQ program that works with Tidal, Spotify and Intune radio that would be great.
For PC sources there's EqualiserAPO that applies EQ at system level:
and you can use the PEACE extension that piggybacks onto that program if the prior program alone is not user-friendly enough:

xavx

Anyone tuned Oratory EQ further to filter the aggressive 8KHz to 10KHz region ? His EQ sounds good to me except the 2 last filters that I changed so far by ear for 8.5KHz and 9.25KHz both -3dB Q4. That region can trigger "ringing ears" after a while due to the exagerated reverb.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Recently got these from amazon.
Came with a stand in the box.
Cable is fairly nice (not microphonic and decently flexible)
Also got parts to make a long wire as the stock one is portable audio lenth.
Find them very comfortable (lucky me)
Sound out of the box seems clinical and fairly anemic to me wich reflects the measurments.
Have played around with eq/tone controls and mild mods. Above 40hz-ish they respond very well to eq. The sub bass seems very reluctant to join the party though. Below 30hz is a non starter so it seems ( power isn't an issue)
Found the headphone pretty easy to drive even off my phone.
Mods is where things have got weird (wish I had measuring equipment to check what I'm hearing)
Tried rmoving the grills as a matter of curiosity , less bass and more sibilance. It's here that the strangeness begins , as I took the phones off (while using a huge bass boost) noticed the low end increased. With zero seal (front and back) they have way better bass ( more and deeper) the general "freedom?" Of sound improved too. Am I going crazy?:facepalm:
This what I ended up with

Attachments

• 20221125_131106.jpg
    20221125_131106.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 203
OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound out of the box seems clinical and fairly anemic to me wich reflects the measurments.
Have played around with eq/tone controls and mild mods. Above 40hz-ish they respond very well to eq. The sub bass seems very reluctant to join the party though. Below 30hz is a non starter so it seems ( power isn't an issue)
Mods is where things have got weird (wish I had measuring equipment to check what I'm hearing)
Tried rmoving the grills as a matter of curiosity , less bass and more sibilance. It's here that the strangeness begins , as I took the phones off (while using a huge bass boost) noticed the low end increased. With zero seal (front and back) they have way better bass ( more and deeper) the general "freedom?" Of sound improved too. Am I going crazy?:facepalm:
Are those two different sets of pads glued together? I have tried running mine without the grills, seemed to me like the sound stage got wider, but nothing else.

Adaboy4z

I'm going to have to try removing the grills. Heck it's worth a shot. The doubles pads increase the sub bass?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Are those two different sets of pads glued together? I have tried running mine without the grills, seemed to me like the sound stage got wider, but nothing else.
No they're not glued just placed. Suprisingly they stay in place while wearing no issue. Comfort is decreased though.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I'm going to have to try removing the grills. Heck it's worth a shot. The doubles pads increase the sub bass?
Yeah though I can't explain it at all. Every headphone I've had before was more seal equals more and deeper bass. The reason I tried this stupid thing was to create leakage as these fabric pads are the most transparent ones I have.
Getting the grills off is very easy with a careful fingernail. Though with the driver exposed it's asking for trouble long term.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't bother with physical mods, because as you say you have no idea what they're doing to the frequency response, and they also sometimes have unwanted effects like increasing distortion vs making the same changes with EQ (as measured by solderdude on a K702 bass mod). Yes, so just use EQ instead, and that way you can use measurements from Oratory as a basis starting point - as soon as you start doing physical mods (same goes for pad changes) it invalidates any measurements you find on the internet of course. (I was going to respond to your bass seal observations, but I can see you found the right answer in one of your later posts).

Top Bottom