• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii THREE Review

Savi

Hi, I am interested of how the cardioid is actively achieved on this speaker. If you had some link where it is detailed. Thx !

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s still 1% at 96dB. That’s still fairly loud, for a pair in a room at 3-4m. Think of the masking that’s taking place from your own ears at this level. I’m gonna need DBT results to buy into this. ;)
it's third harmonic at 1%, it would be on the cusp of audibility at 90 dB.

index.php

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hi, I am interested of how the cardioid is actively achieved on this speaker. If you had some link where it is detailed. Thx !

~ 7:30 mark the designer explains.

Basically, 50-250Hz the rear woofers cancel the side woofers. 250-750Hz the side woofers cancel the midrange. >750Hz the baffle and drivers are responsible for the directivity.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
it's third harmonic at 1%, it would be on the cusp of audibility at 90 dB.

index.php

Honestly, I think people spend way too much time on distortion fussing. Geddes, Toole, Olive and others tend to agree. Until we incorporate the Ged-Lee metric in our analysis, the purpose of the HD - for me at least - is purely academic. It’s a sign that the speaker may be behaving poorly and crossovers or output should be reconsidered. But even still, the compression/linearity tests I provide are much more useful because we know those have a direct correlation to the preference score.

I’m not looking to have an OT debate since this topic has been discussed ad-nauseum in other threads. Just providing a different perspective from the norm here. I’d prefer the audibility of distortion discussion take place in a more appropriate thread and keep this one more on topic if we can.

Last edited:

Cadguy

Erin may I ask you about room gain and positioning the Kii3? You had them fairly close to the front wall, I wonder if they were placed4 feet away would that have a significant impact on bass output and headroom? Would the limiters then kick in at lower listening levels?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, I think people spend way too much time on distortion fussing. Geddes, Toole, Olive and others tend to agree. Until we incorporate the Ged-Lee metric in our analysis, the purpose of the HD - for me at least - is purely academic. It’s a sign that the speaker may be behaving poorly and crossovers or output should be reconsidered. But even still, the compression/linearity tests I provide are much more useful because we know those have a direct correlation to the preference score.

I’m not looking to have an OT debate since this topic has been discussed as-nauseum in other threads. Just providing a different perspective from the norm here.
Yeah I would normally competely agree with you, but the price of these speakers is in the 5 figures, and 90dB is not an unreasonable volume at all. I feel like primarily due to the price we need to discuss those things. If i want to pay that much for a speaker (the price of renovating a bathroom or a kitchen) i would be uncomfortable knowing that its distortion is at the cusp of audibility.

I mean lets consider that money is no objection for you, would you go for a Perlisten s4b and just put it in the middle of the room with a subwoofer somewhere or would you go for the 8C or Kii for the extra placement leeway while arguably sacrficing raw performance? When so much money is involved I think we have to ask these questions.

Last edited:

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I think the review should be split off to its own thread because the title of this thread doesn’t reflect the actual review.

Maybe @AdamG247 can help with that, by splitting this off from @sweetchaos post #89? Would you mind doing that, Adam? I hate for the actual review discussion to get lost in this thread.
Would be happy to help. However it’s not clear to me exactly what you want? How about you start the new review thread then send me a pm with a link to this new thread and the post numbers from this thread you want relocated to the new thread? Keep in mind that when we do this the System will place posts in date/time stamp order. So this can sometimes cause conversation flow problems.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Would be happy to help. However it’s not clear to me exactly what you want? How about you start the new review thread then send me a pm with a link to this new thread and the post numbers from this thread you want relocated to the new thread? Keep in mind that when we do this the System will place posts in date/time stamp order. So this can sometimes cause conversation flow problems.

Oh, I was just asking if you could split this thread starting at post 89 to a new thread and just title it “Kii THREE Review”. You can put my name in the title if it helps. That’s all. :)

Thanks!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that hideous (and wired) control box the only way to remotely control the volume and inputs (except for a pre-amp)?

What I also find interesting is that most woofers seem to radiate into the same enclosure. I was expecting that there would be multiple cavities:
818kii.ins.jpg

Only the midrange seems to have its own compartment. I guess because they are in-phase down low where you have the highest pressures, this is not a problem.

Teo

Hello @hardisj and thank you for this spectacular speaker review!
Would it be possible to have the group delay graph, for both in Phase Exact mode and in Minimum Latency mode? it would be interesting to see this. Thanks!

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hello @hardisj and thank you for this spectacular speaker review!
Would it be possible to have the group delay graph, for both in Phase Exact mode and in Minimum Latency mode? it would be interesting to see this. Thanks!

I can for phase exact but not minimum latency (unless you want quasi-anechoic which will be useless below a few hundred hertz)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean lets consider that money is no objection for you, would you go for a Perlisten s4b and just put it in the middle of the room with a subwoofer somewhere or would you go for the 8C or Kii for the extra placement leeway while arguably sacrficing raw performance? When so much money is involved I think we have to ask these questions.
The clarity these achieve is hard to match with conventional speakers, maybe impossible without extensive room treatments, so I think you are looking at this backwards, why worry about things that might just be audible when the lower room interaction is most definitely audible.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that hideous (and wired) control box the only way to remotely control the volume and inputs (except for a pre-amp)?
Yep, but you could hide it and just use the IR, if you don't need to see the volume display. The design makes sense when viewed as a studio controller, but not so much in the home, it's a shame it does not come in an alternate design as a more boring box, with the display on the front. It is nicely responsive though, you can wiz through the menus once you know what you are doing.
What I also find interesting is that most woofers seem to radiate into the same enclosure. I was expecting that there would be multiple cavities:
It is surprising, I wonder if sometimes the drivers sometimes cancel out the pressure from each other making the box seem larger, a bit like an Isobaric system, or maybe it just does not matter much.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The clarity these achieve is hard to match with conventional speakers, maybe impossible without extensive room treatments, so I think you are looking at this backwards, why worry about things that might just be audible when the lower room interaction is most definitely audible.

People With that sort of money can build a room so big that the precedence effect doesn’t even happen. Let that sink in.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What a speaker!

I’ve heard them at an audio show recently and their uncoloured distortion free sound is just fantastic.

For the looks I still would choose the 8C.

Now come on competition, develop something like this at a much lower pricepoint!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People With that sort of money can build a room so big that the precedence effect doesn’t even happen. Let that sink in.
You clearly live somewhere very different from me, a large listening room would require moving, and the larger property would probably end up costing well over a quarter of a million. The economics are staggeringly in favour of the speakers.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You clearly live somewhere very different from me, a large listening room would require moving, and the larger property would probably end up costing well over a quarter of a million. The economics are staggeringly in favour of the speakers.
And you really think someone who can afford the Kali wouldn’t afford to do that?

Eitherway i’m unconvinced that is is a good purchase for a rich person.

Top Bottom