• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Mjolnir 2 is rated for 5W into 50 ohms.

The back-ordered Freya 3+ is rated for 4W into 50 ohms.

So they should have a chance, I think.

If not, there is always that crazy speaker adapter.
Easily drive them then . My mjolnir 1 only needs 12 - 2 o'clock

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's wrong with the v2?
V1:
HifiMan_HE-6se.jpg

V2:
he6se_v2-800-1.jpg

Headband seems worse, though as AVKS noted, earcup articulation has been improved for the V2.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
V1:
View attachment 166394

V2:
View attachment 166395

Headband seems worse, though as AVKS noted, earcup articulation has been improved for the V2.
I have the v2 and also the older HE560 with headband just like that in v1. I do like the v1 headband better, it feels lighter and less "hot" on my head. But I can't complain about the sound of HE6se v2 -- with proper amplification and EQ it's by far my favorite. Can't compare it to v1, though...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Stick the HE6SE cups on the HE400i band?

It is possible to swap parts some versions of some models with other versions of other models but some dont. I tried putting my Dr Who Cyberman headband from HE 560 and gimbals on my 6SE V2 but sadly , without dismantling the cups on the 6SE , I couldnt get the gimbal nubbins into the 6SE holes even though it looked possible- interweb suggested it should be possible.

Its also a nightmare looking at their spares list exactly which models certain spares like headbands are compatible with. I would plan on using the headband your purchase comes with and ability to swap as a bonus rather than a plan.

cheapmessiah

Hifiman BF rebates were just posted, open box aryas for $1000, new HE6se for $699, both can be had in europe and theres the HE6se V2 open box for $600 which i dont know if its sent from europe, if not, taxes make it much less atractive compared to the sealed box V1s.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hifiman BF rebates were just posted, open box aryas for $1000, new HE6se for $699, both can be had in europe and theres the HE6se V2 open box for $600 which i dont know if its sent from europe, if not, taxes make it much less atractive compared to the sealed box V1s.

Thanks for the tip!

Just ordered a V1 HE6SE!

Now...what do I do for a cable?

I need a 10-15' XLR.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Wowow. That's a great deal! The HiFiman website states a powerful amp is required. What are you gong to use?
View attachment 166535

The Mjolnir 2 I have is rated for:

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel

And there is my RME ADI-2 which is probably a bit borderline.

I also ordered a Freya 3+ Lyr 3+ just for giggles.

Worst case, I use the crazy SE Adapter and run it from some mono blocks.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mjolnir 2 I have is rated for:

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel

And there is my RME ADI-2 which is probably a bit borderline.

I also ordered a Freya 3+ just for giggles.

Worst case, I use the crazy SE Adapter and run it from some mono blocks.
Wow. You know how to pick'em. A 13 pound headphone amp. I think this is the first time I've heard about this model. It's not @ the Schitt website and never tested at ASR. Nice unit. I don't see the Freya 3+ at the Shiitt website. That must be pretty new?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Wow. You know how to pick'em. A 13 pound headphone amp. I think this is the first time I've heard about this model. It's not @ the Schitt website and never tested at ASR. Nice unit. I don't see the Freya 3+ at the Shiitt website. That must be pretty new?

Typo above: I meant to say Lyr, not Freya.

3+ is just the Head Fi lingo for an un-announced in production revision to the first crop of Lyr 3.

Mjolnir 2 was discontinued earlier this year.

The suspicion is that Schiit wants to move away from a 2 x 6922 balanced hybrid like Mjolnir 2 because the 6922/6DJ8/7DJ8/7308 tubes are becoming so expensive compared to the 6SN7 used in the Lyr 3 / Freya

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Typo above: I meant to say Lyr, not Freya.

3+ is just the Head Fi lingo for an un-announced in production revision to the first crop of Lyr 3.

Mjolnir 2 was discontinued earlier this year.

The suspicion is that Schiit wants to move away from a 2 x 6922 balanced hybrid like Mjolnir 2 because the 6922/6DJ8/7DJ8/7308 tubes are becoming so expensive compared to the 6SN7 used in the Lyr 3 / Freya
You are going to test drive the Lyr 3+ as a phonO pre or is it the multibit?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You are going to test drive the Lyr 3+ as a phonO pre or is it the multibit?

Neither.

I ordered it without add-on modules.

I'll compare / contrast it vs the Mjolnir 2 in the big living room rig, driven by the pre-out of the Devialet.

If it loses out to the Mjolnir 2, it can be paired with an unused Modius DAC I have lying around for bedroom or vacation home duties.

Top Bottom