• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

subwoofers with dual opposed drivers

Chrise36

Major Contributor
You showed me an example. How do you know that its an efficient design? If you have the data please share, otherwise you are just assuming. I am instead showing you the math why your assumption is not correct.

Meanwhile, when you parallel the drivers you reduce the resistance hence increase the current drown from the amp. No difference to my suggestion of using an EQ, which increases the voltage output of the amp. Same battery load.

It is always better to use simple math than assume blind.
You dont have to parallel the drivers you can have isobaric with the drivers in series. If you look the simulation the 4th order isobaric with the same Pioneer driver gives you approximately 8 db more at 50hz in a rougly 20 liter box while one closed subwoofer would need 47 liters. What is the more efficient design? I am not assuming anything i have built such a subwoofer.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You dont have to parallel the drivers you can have isobaric with the drivers in series. If you look the simulation the 4th order isobaric with the same Pioneer driver gives you approximately 8 db more at 50hz in a rougly 20 liter box while one closed subwoofer would need 47 liters. What is the more efficient design? I am not assuming anything i have built such a subwoofer.
If you connect the drivers in series you reduce efficiency by 6dB, and need an amplifier four times higher output.

How can I look at a simulation when you don’t give any data? You say you built the speaker then you must have measured it and have the TS parameters of both designs in record. Please share those with us so that we understand what you are saying.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
If you connect the drivers in series you reduce efficiency by 6dB, and need an amplifier four times higher output.

How can I look at a simulation when you don’t give any data? You say you built the speaker then you must have measured it and have the TS parameters of both designs in record. Please share those with us so that we understand what you are saying.
My sub was built some 15 years ago. The simulation is with a current production Pioneer TS A250D4. Use speakerboxlite and run the simulation for one driver with closed box and and an isobaric 4th order with maximun gain minimum bandwidth.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My sub was built some 15 years ago. The simulation is with a current production Pioneer TS A250D4. Use speakerboxlite and run the simulation for one driver with closed box and and an isobaric 4th order with maximun gain minimum bandwidth.
Still no data, just explanation.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Still no data, just explanation.
The data is all there if you want to know. Otherwise we can have someone build these as a community project and have it measured with the Klippel if you dont trust the simulation.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The data is all there if you want to know. Otherwise we can have someone build these as a community project and have it measured with the Klippel if you dont trust the simulation.
Where is that “there”?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Where is that “there”?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you asking me to do the calculation in order to prove your point? Thats a first for me. You are basically saying: “I know what I’m saying but i can’t be bothered with data, here are the tools, prove yourself that I am correct.”

I am not sure to laugh or annoyed…

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Are you asking me to do the calculation in order to prove your point? Thats a first for me. You are basically saying: “I know what I’m saying but i can’t be bothered with data, here are the tools, prove yourself that I am correct.”

I am not sure to laugh or annoyed…
What do you mean it is ready for you to read it. Just choose graphs and enclosure.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean it is ready for you to read it. Just choose graphs and enclosure.
Why don‘t you upload the results if its that easy?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Choose graphs or upload the project for the rest. Spend a little time with the app to learn it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Choose graphs or upload the project for the rest. Spend a little time with the app to learn it.
Why should I learn an app to prove your point that I disagree? Show me the data that proves your point. @amirm doesn’t ask us to learn to use an app to see the result of a design does he?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Perhaps you should start a thread about isobaric subwoofers. :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you ever built a subwoofer?
What has your question to do with the discussion we are having? If you want to know about my experience look at my profile.

You argue but won’t offer any data. That is a trolling behaviour.

Over and out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom