• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

subwoofers with dual opposed drivers

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is referring to the hydrodynamic pressure inside the cabinet, not acoustic pressure (elastic wave pressure).
Interesting to use the term hydrodynamic for air.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting to use the term hydrodynamic for air.
At least air is a fluid. Imagine my bewilderment when I was in school (many many years ago) and my best drinking buddy talked to me about hydrostatic tension in fracture mechanics. Not only the prefix "hydro" was used, and it was used along with "tension", which cannot be supported by any (Newtonian) fluids :facepalm:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
With opposing drivers, there is no (net) change in the internal cabinet volume. Thus, there is no compression and no pressure fluctuation from compression. The air inside the cabinet will slosh back and forth with the cone movements. The effects from this air movement are tiny compared to the compression effects from a single driver. Therefore the pressure loading on the cabinet walls is hugely reduced with opposing drivers.

We are talking about 2 very different effects.
Isn't that isobaric loading? Not the same as "dual opposed" to me.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that isobaric loading? Not the same as "dual opposed" to me.
In Isobarik loading only one of the diaphragms emit sound. The other is hidden inside the box and "sealed". That loading simply changes the Vas of the driver (assuming same drivers are used). From a TS point of view dual opposed is simply two drivers in the same box that happen to be mounted on opposing sides of the box.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
In Isobarik loading only one of the diaphragms emit sound.
Are you sure? My understanding is that both receive the same signal (edit: with reverse polarity), the woofer inside isn't a passive radiator; and at subwoofer frequencies, that woofer doesn't care about the box.
Looks like I was indeed mistaken about it, a bit tired. Thought for a moment that the entire point was to maintain the box pressure constant.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure? My understanding is that both receive the same signal, the woofer inside isn't a passive radiator; and at subwoofer frequencies, that woofer doesn't care about the box.
Looks like I was indeed mistaken about it, a bit tired. Thought for a moment that the entire point was to maintain the box pressure constant.
There is no woofer inside.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, as I said, I simplified Isobaric to constant pressure in my tired mind.
There is no woofer inside and there is no constant pressure. If the pressure is constant there will be no sound. Sound waves are generated by the pressure waves inside the cabinet. From acoustical point of view it a box with two woofers.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The argument for dual opposed in real life is:
1) wife
2) neighbour's
3) place to put a drink

Chrise36

Major Contributor
In Isobarik loading only one of the diaphragms emit sound. The other is hidden inside the box and "sealed". That loading simply changes the Vas of the driver (assuming same drivers are used). From a TS point of view dual opposed is simply two drivers in the same box that happen to be mounted on opposing sides of the box.
It depends on the order the 6th order emits from both the drivers

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Are you sure? My understanding is that both receive the same signal (edit: with reverse polarity), the woofer inside isn't a passive radiator; and at subwoofer frequencies, that woofer doesn't care about the box.
The box plays a huge role in isobarik you have to measure the drivers to have real thiele small parameters and not rely on the manufacturer data to calculate correctly.You can have a huge dynamic subwoofer in a relatively small box if done properly.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on the order the 6th order emits from both the drivers
No it doesn't. The 2nd driver is inside of the cabinet. There is no emission from that to the outside. Both diaphragms work in the same direction, there is no pressure change in the box more than it will be if one driver exists. Instead of arguing why not reading the textbooks?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The box plays a huge role in isobarik you have to measure the drivers to have real thiele small parameters and not rely on the manufacturer data to calculate correctly.You can have a huge dynamic subwoofer in a relatively small box if done properly.
Not true.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
No it doesn't. The 2nd driver is inside of the cabinet. There is no emission from that to the outside. Both diaphragms work in the same direction, there is no pressure change in the box more than it will be if one driver exists. Instead of arguing why not reading the textbooks?
6th order isobarik bandpass is this:
1635503124755.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrise36

Major Contributor
That is not Isobarik. The name Isobarik is derived from Iso=equal and Barik=pressure. In an Isobarik design the enclosure between the drivers have no pressure change.
No it comes from the equal pressure from the air trapped inside the diaphragm. The air receives rougly equal(iso) pressure from them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it comes from the equal pressure from the air trapped inside the diaphragm. The air receives rougly equal(iso) pressure from them.
Understood. However, I have never seen such a design analysed on a paper or a text book. Nor have I seen used on a speaker on the market. The only Isobaric design on a consumer speaker I know is the old Linn Isobarik. Do you have any examples of the design you posted?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Understood. However, I have never seen such a design analysed on a paper or a text book. Nor have I seen used on a speaker on the market. The only Isobaric design on a consumer speaker I know is the old Linn Isobarik. Do you have any examples of the design you posted?
It is not used now but it was mainly used in car audio subwoofers. The following is an old Polk design with 4 drivers:
And another one:

Top Bottom