• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think this discussion digress a bit. come on guys, Apples to Apples, every body have a need for a smartphone and the tech behind this, it’s a whole other level of market, and whole other level of money involved behind any small step forwards, in Silicon Valley style developpment. Here we have something targeted at hardcore audiophiles, a very very fringe market, people don’t need this, people very very passionate and that have the money go for it and this is what it is. It’s expensive and it should be

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's more different than what I wanted to see. The shape around 3khz and bump at 7khz.
But it's all expected.

Correct the size of the bumps and dips are a bit different, but good to see the bumps and dips in same ranges in the FR - using completely different measurement rig especially...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these things make the headphone expensive to manufacture.

STEALTH-icon.png
Carbon / aluminum bonded cup design yields maximum stiffness with minimum weight.
STEALTH-icon.png
Folding gimbals allow Stealth to be packed in a compact case for safe and easy transport.
STEALTH-icon.png
Stealth is designed and built by hand in San Diego, California, and is backed by quality and support you can count on.

Then there is the complexity of accurately and repeatedly manufacturing this driver assembly. Very difficult to do that and maintain the frequency response it has.
clark 1.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
A issue we will see is that when manufacturers trying to hug the target curve, they may not sound like that on our heads.

It's no different to speakers - the end user will have all sorts of toe in/out angles, maybe sit too high or low (relative to tweeter height for example).

That doesn't mean flat FR curve should not still be the target curve to "hug"... for speakers.

There should always be some kind of target curve everyone should hug.

That's why it's good to see similar headphone measurement results on completely different measurement rig.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's no different to speakers - the end user will have all sorts of toe in/out angles, maybe sit too high or low (relative to tweeter height for example).

That doesn't mean flat FR curve should not still be the target curve to "hug"... for speakers.

There should always be some kind of target curve everyone should hug.

That's why it's good to see similar headphone measurement results on completely different measurement rig.
We are on the same page but there's a little but quite important difference. Anechoic response is an absolute. It's defined to be flat. And we can change toe in, listening level, even rooms. But we can't change the shape of our head.

It's the first step to hug the existing target.
It's the next step to make designs around actual listening. In 2018, me with a couple of friends developed a method to train listening and test frequency response of IEMs(headphones can be used) by listening to it. It's a method I believe Moondrop still uses and they have been accurate to the target since 2018 as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would propose a deal: You buy it with a decent discount and Dan can claim "this is the headphone Amir bought after testing it" :cool:
I think it would the first of any product I have tested!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Someone asked me about the softness and whether it was painted with rubberized paint. It is not. I just meant the pad and top band.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
There is market for expensive luxury stuff, look at Abyss. But these have the measurements to back them up.
Sure, Abyss are snakeoil, pure and simple where these seem to get the basic engineering right. But, even with an argument like 'recouping R&D costs' I can't believe there is anything in these phones to justify this kind of price. It's after all just a few hundred grams of plastic and metal. I'm sure Mr. Clark would still turn a handsome profit if these sold for $400 - which is still an expensive headphone in my book.

They even look like 4k headphones unlike Abyss which are, to be blunt, ugly.
They look like pretty bog-standard gamer phones to me. Not really an æsthetic I find particularly appealing.

edahl

I'd love a cost reduced version of these, like Arya is to the HEK

Top Bottom