• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm not sure why my idea equates to giving them a pass. If anything a good result with adapters to RCA would combine with the lesser results on their RCA to paint a lesser picture of the device's design trade-offs. The idea to try it with adapters is to show unbalanced results need not be compromised. Even then the compromising is rather tepid. It's within .5 db all the way to -120. I seem to recall the Exasound was a bigger difference than that if my memory isn't failing me.
It’s a gaffe , there’s no swerving it.... ( unless we have made a gaffe ) .

Now where’s my man servant, Amir the bathroom towels need airing ..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, looks like the old instructions were correct too in that if you hold both mute and dim buttons down, it sets both Aux and Mains to calibrated levels (as opposed to one or the other). The trick was holding them down for a lot longer. Either I don't know how to count to three or they don't! :D

Regardless, here are the USB linearity tests comparing Aux and Mains, in calibrated mode which outputs nearly 2 volts RMS:
Benchmark DAC3 Unbalanced Calibrated Linearity Measurement.png

(I stopped the test around -60 dB).

As we see, both Mains and Aux do the same thing. And they even less accurate than uncalibrated mode.

I can also see the differential in level between channels as I watch the output per before.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I asked this earlier, I suppose it got overlooked in all the excitement...

What's the difference between a linearity measurement where the left end of the measurement goes down (-dB) versus one that goes up (+dB)?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, drilling into this, I looked at the analyzer output using high resolution FFT and high averaging, comparing the Topping D50 to DAC3 in calibrated mode:

Benchmark DAC3 vs Topping D50 Linearity calibrated USB FFT.png

This is post my custom filtering and attenuates noise and distortion (but doesn't eliminate them).

We see that the D50 in blue is essentially free of harmonic distortion. But suffers from USB 1 kHz packet spikes.

The DAC3 on the other hand, despite the very low amplitude of main signal, has a strong spray of harmonics of 200 Hz. The linearity test shows the sum total of noise+harmonic distortion added to mains signal. So it is affected by the much higher harmonic distortion energy.

Note that the Topping D50 has higher main tone so its distortions in a relative measure (which linearity is), is lower than they seem.

Comments? Thoughts?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's the difference between a linearity measurement where the left end of the measurement goes down (-dB) versus one that goes up (+dB)?
As I explained earlier, a snapshot is made at -20 dB and that is used as a reference evel. Negative values means the sum total of noise+distortion+signal was lower than -20 dB level. Positive values means the sum was higher.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oooohhhh....

-180dBfs. (gets out the Shoutometer)...

667,192 miles

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As I explained earlier, a snapshot is made at -20 dB and that is used as a reference evel. Negative values means the sum total of noise+distortion+signal was lower than -20 dB level. Positive values means the sum was higher.

Oh. I'm sorry if I missed that.

I don't understand, but, ok...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oohhhh....

-180dB. (gets out the Shoutometer)...

667,192 miles
This is using 256 k point FFT so there is 50 dB of process gain/lowering of noise going on there. Actual level then is around -120 dB. I am also using 16 times filtering to smooth the noise floor further.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh. I'm sorry if I missed that.

I don't understand, but, ok...
I will try again :).

You have a yardstick. You measure it fully. Then you divide it in half and measure it again and see if it is exactly 1/2 of the original size. You keep doing that over and over again.

The "yardstick" here is programmable and is set by default to whatever level is there at -20 dB. Since linearity errors there are way off in the noise, that is a good reference for what the original signal as lowered by -20 dB should be. Everything else is then relative to that.

The AP will make a single measurement at -20 dB, then will drop it down to -120 dB and see if the measured voltage is higher or lower than than what the math says the level should be 100 dB lower. Then it steps up 2 dB at a time (-118, -116, -114) and plots the results. The outcome of the device is either exactly right or is higher or lower. Higher is positive dB error, negative is lower dB error.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So it is clear, the -20 dB point measurement allows Linearity to work regardless of the actual voltage output of the DACs under test. They are all being tested against their own near full amplitude level and see if they can divide the signal correctly.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir,

on page 20 of the manual is described how you can change the usb mode. Could you please look whether you are in the usb 2.0 mode or not?

thank you.
I changed it before taking note :). But I think it was in USB 1.1. It is now in 2.0. Quick look at linearity shows nothing changed.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I will try again

Now I understand.

*shouts a Thank You.

For the approximate 2562 miles we are distant, that's -132dBfs at your end.

Did you hear me?

Oh wait...

2562 / 767.2 = 3.3

It won't get there for another 3.3 hours. Mark your calendar.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now I understand.

*shouts a Thank You.

For the approximate 2562 miles we are distant, that's -132dBfs at your end.

Did you hear me?

Oh wait...

2562 / 767.2 = 3.3

It won't get there for another 3.3 hours. Mark your calendar.
Now you see the silliness of others trying to replicate my measurements but go to -140 dB!!!

Ultimately we are trying to see if we can get perfection out of 20 bits of audio reproduction as to have a completely transparent and noise-free "channel."

bennetng

Major Contributor
I will try again :).

You have a yardstick. You measure it fully. Then you divide it in half and measure it again and see if it is exactly 1/2 of the original size. You keep doing that over and over again.

The "yardstick" here is programmable and is set by default to whatever level is there at -20 dB. Since linearity errors there are way off in the noise, that is a good reference for what the original signal as lowered by -20 dB should be. Everything else is then relative to that.

The AP will make a single measurement at -20 dB, then will drop it down to -120 dB and see if the measured voltage is higher or lower than than what the math says the level should be 100 dB lower. Then it steps up 2 dB at a time (-118, -116, -114) and plots the results. The outcome of the device is either exactly right or is higher or lower. Higher is positive dB error, negative is lower dB error.
Does it mean DC offset or very low frequency like < 5Hz can affect the result?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does it mean DC offset or very low frequency like < 5Hz can affect the result?
There is a 50 dB filter around the two sides of the 200 Hz so contributions from outside of that are sharply reduced.

The coupling is AC so DC offset should not enter the equation.

mindbomb

I have thoughts. On the topping d50, you have one dac per channel, and on the benchmark dac 3 balanced, you have one dac for hot and cold of each channel, and linearity is great. Do these dacs just not like being combined in other ways?

With the dac 3, they switched to a switching power supply. Is that somehow particularly affecting the unbalanced output?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like this should be linearity+noise like thd+noise versus linearity and thd.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems like this should be linearity+noise like thd+noise versus linearity and thd.
Correct. It is the main point I made to AP. That you can't exclude what is actually in the signal the user gets in linearity measurements. Noise and distortion should be included to the extent it doesn't screw up the analyzer too badly.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So it is clear, the -20 dB point measurement allows Linearity to work regardless of ----------

I think you just enjoy the schitt out of confusing us unwashed masses. :( LOL

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have thoughts. On the topping d50, you have one dac per channel, and on the benchmark dac 3 balanced, you have one dac for hot and cold of each channel, and linearity is great. Do these dacs just not like being combined in other ways?

With the dac 3, they switched to a switching power supply. Is that somehow particularly affecting the unbalanced output?
I don't have a lot of insights as to actual problem here. My guess is that the high-power output stage amplification is at issue here due to seeing a lot of harmonic distortion.

On the power supply bit, I don't see contributions from it. I think they are doing a good job there.

Top Bottom