• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-wall Speaker Measurements (Monoprice THX-365IW)

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not about the motion of the speaker, but the motion of the air. Why is your subwoofer enclosure made so sturdily? To prevent the enclosure itself from vibrating with the large changes in air pressure going on inside. As the enclosure expands and contracts with that pressure, the outside of the enclosure will create pressure waves that you can hear. It's a transducer itself.

Isn’t the in-wall speaker an “infinite baffle” kind of device?

I don’t know much about this. :p

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they do, since the tweeter and mid-bass is near the rear wall and directed upwards. Why do you think there is a damping panel there?
No, they (in-wall and those particular on-wall speakers) are significantly different. Do your regular speakers have padding/dampening on the front surface (baffle)? Nope, except possibly a ring around the tweeter, which in-wall can have as well. You're confusing a delayed reflection off an adjacent (and angled) surface with a baffle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure#Infinite_baffle

redshift

No, they (in-wall and those particular on-wall speakers) are significantly different. Do your regular speakers have padding/dampening on the front surface (baffle)? Nope, except possibly a ring around the tweeter, which in-wall can have as well. You're confusing a delayed reflection off an adjacent (and angled) surface with a baffle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure#Infinite_baffle

I might be wrong, but in ordinary speakers the enclosure is relatively small compared with the wall.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I am a little confused.
imo the material of the wall will have a huge impact:
1) if it is a "european wall" there will be very few "leakage" from behind the speaker
2) a drywall will let a lot of frequencies threw...espacialy the ones that are omidirectional and will bounce around behind it.

redshift

I am a little confused.
imo the material of the wall will have a huge impact:
1) if it is a "european wall" there will be very few "leakage" from behind the speaker
2) a drywall will let a lot of frequencies threw...espacialy the ones that are omidirectional and will bounce around behind it.

I think I read somewhere that this “elephants ear” takes care of early reflections of the back wall that otherwise causes distortion.

Not sure if this is relevant with infinite baffle / in wall designs.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unless @amirm has a different plan for test unit acquisition, expect the samples will be limited as they are today.
I can source a lot of them at dealer cost because this is a category of products for which Madrona is a dealer (we do custom installs of electronics).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now that you've done a few rounds of testing with your own design any thoughts on what may be gained, if anything, by purchasing Klippel's version?
I can't imagine actually using the Klippel version.

As you see, you can't stick a tall in-wall speaker in there anyway. It is made to have that replaceable insert where the driver is (in yellow).

The main thing it does is solving the alignment issue. Otherwise, it is not designed for what we want to do even though it is advertised (partially) to do so.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

the sound pressure moves away from the wall/baffle, no frequency is omni-directional in this case and no frequency will go through the baffle before reflecting off some other boundary first.

the horizontal directivity graph is +/- 90 degrees, not the typical +/- 180.

@amirm is it possible that the directivity graphs are adjusted back to the typical +/-180 so people would stop thinking this is an omni-directional speaker by mistake?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm is it possible that the directivity graphs are adjusted back to the typical +/-180 so people would stop thinking this is an omni-directional speaker by mistake?
The software is forcing the truncation to 90 degrees as it knows it didn't measure more than that. I did not do anything specific to get those plots.

I actually think the original review where I did not do that was more confusing as one wonders how the sound is wrapping past the wall in an in-wall speaker.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did I miss the distortion measurements? I don't see them.
Those were in the original review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...price-thx-365iw-review-in-wall-speaker.24500/

Nothing has changed in that regard so I did not repeat them all. Here they are again:

index.php

dasdoing

Major Contributor
the sound pressure moves away from the wall/baffle, no frequency is omni-directional in this case and no frequency will go through the baffle before reflecting off some other boundary first.

ok, but what about the negative soundwave generated behind the driver? isn't that the reason there needs to be a wall in the first place?

redshift

Linkwitz wrote about Doppler shifts causing distortion when the (in-wall) speaker resonates with the wall.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Links/Baffle Vibrations in Open Baffle Dipole Loudspeakers Kopie.pdf

Adding a beefy piece of iron behind the speaker surely would decrease the movement as per Newtons third law.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ok, but what about the negative soundwave generated behind the driver? isn't that the reason there needs to be a wall in the first place?

you're confusing open baffle (dipoles) with infinite baffles. in infinite the 'negative' sound pressure will just go forward, the same way the 'positive' sound pressure goes forward.

the depiction in the picture never happens, the pressure just propagates forward.

qQkI9rttgqUZtIi8GiwOSea_PVL7mVJPS1ojJzBPAHPY5LyPGe3YqiT0eFr1uX95xaVe88EPJkWlbSJ8G9ivB6NFnlDohKuPg6EV0a9chrOG40xvlpshMeZi1Oj6YtU3kV_FvvIRsoJq2XJ7wCxxN4T8gykba29T9Vfb9RY7p0fO4JTg9NAMrlsth-Nm8NuxhqGZHUIswyt3m7NCo16mQu7x7NmQEONSBoecJN5XM_4

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you're confusing open baffle (dipoles) with infinite baffles. in infinite the 'negative' sound pressure will just go forward, the same way the 'positive' sound pressure goes forward.

the depiction in the picture never happens, the pressure just propagates forward.

qQkI9rttgqUZtIi8GiwOSea_PVL7mVJPS1ojJzBPAHPY5LyPGe3YqiT0eFr1uX95xaVe88EPJkWlbSJ8G9ivB6NFnlDohKuPg6EV0a9chrOG40xvlpshMeZi1Oj6YtU3kV_FvvIRsoJq2XJ7wCxxN4T8gykba29T9Vfb9RY7p0fO4JTg9NAMrlsth-Nm8NuxhqGZHUIswyt3m7NCo16mQu7x7NmQEONSBoecJN5XM_4

well...I see I have to study a little to understand this lol
thanks

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Since it’s a hemispherical measurement, I guess all rearward data is false and just for being able to do the Spinorama.

Here’s my horizontal heatmap:
78BD4055-5555-4037-A4DA-C74ACA0ADD08.jpeg

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
If you're having trouble now understanding SBIR, just wait until you try to wrap your head around the Allison Effect.
Howdy, not sure that I was having trouble understanding SBIR.
The Allison effect is sort of the old term for some of the aspects of what makes up SBIR, is it not?
I deffinetly take these cancelations into account (with measurements) as I place and move speakers. Can really only do so much though.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since it’s a hemispherical measurement, I guess all rearward data is false and just for being able to do the Spinorama.

Here’s my horizontal heatmap:
View attachment 141869

This doesn’t reflect an infinite baffle though as there shouldn’t be any data points from behind (otherwise the baffle will be finite and more like an open baffle).

I wasn’t really requesting data (that doesn’t exist) but just asked for the scale to be identical ( with the second hemisphere being blank) so people are aware that this speaker would not be omni-directional at any frequency.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I always gain new insights into things I have never considered by reading Amir's reviews.

I was always under the audiophile myth that there was no substitute for big box speakers for usual multi-use residential AV rooms. Even when listening at "residential" levels - not being obnoxious to neighbours or others in the house. In wall and on wall were supposedly acoustic flops, an unnecessary compromise if you habe space for big speakerd. Hence in my own, I have huge LCR, subs, rears etc.

If I could de-clutter the "lounge" room with in- wall speakers without a significant compromise in sound quality that would be a massive win.
Amir's testing ( and @Bear123 ) shows this is possible, and the cost is mind boggingly reasonable! I never realised there were so many in-wall options that can fit all types of wall cavities.

Top Bottom