• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-wall Speaker Measurements (Monoprice THX-365IW)

Dal1as

Have any of you install the 465IW speakers? If so, could you post a brief review - perhaps in a new thread? Thanks.
BTW, if you installed them, which speaker are you using as a center?

I have not but there is someone over on AVS form that used the 465s for LCR and the 365s for surrounds and atmos? Interested to see that setup.

As for center. Ideally you'd want the same with all of them vertical behind an AT screen. If you need to use a horizontal I'd go another route as they are not made for that.

Dal1as

Has anyone mounted one of these horizontally as a center channel? How did it sound?

I wouldn't. The horizontal dispersion will be all over the place. I would build a 365c into the wall maybe. They used to have an in wall center.

nathan

Has anyone mounted one of these horizontally as a center channel? How did it sound?
The measurements are in the first post. It would be pretty bad to use it that way.

66426C0D-7A76-4615-9CA4-EB1DDD0D5ACF.png

TrexWasabi

That was quick - thanks! It looks like the THX-LCR is the way to go and it seems to be timbre matched with the THX-365IW which will be used for L+R front.

Dal1as

That was quick - thanks! It looks like the THX-LCR is the way to go and it seems to be timbre matched with the THX-365IW which will be used for L+R front.
Yes that would be your best bet if you can get over the OCD of the speakers being offset. Monolith should have made the tweeter/mid pod rotatable in the 365 or kept the in wall center they had.

clipghost

Yes that would be your best bet if you can get over the OCD of the speakers being offset. Monolith should have made the tweeter/mid pod rotatable in the 365 or kept the in wall center they had.
So if you were doing the Monoprice THX-365IW for Left and Right + surrounds, would you recommend lets say the THX-265IW as a center? Or no because it is a 2-way. Trying to find a center that is IN-WALL to compliment the 365IW other than the THX-LCR which is different size, is beginning to be a headache. Could you do another brands center? Or bad idea since won't be timbre matched?

Dal1as

So if you were doing the Monoprice THX-365IW for Left and Right + surrounds, would you recommend lets say the THX-265IW as a center? Or no because it is a 2-way. Trying to find a center that is IN-WALL to compliment the 365IW other than the THX-LCR which is different size, is beginning to be a headache. Could you do another brands center? Or bad idea since won't be timbre matched?
Will you be using an AT screen and installing the center vertically or below screen/tv horizontally?

TrexWasabi

Any updates on what you decided to go with? In similar situation. Thanks!

My relative's remodel was delayed a bit. I'll be installing the following for her in a 5.1.4 system in December as she's hoping for deals over BF:
- Receiver: Denon x3800H
- Left, right: THX-365IW
- Center: THX-LCR
- Sub: SVS PC-2000 Pro (I'm trying to convince her to buy two). Sadly, the form factor of the 13" sub at Monoprice is not an option for her.
- Atmos: Alpha with 15 degree Angled Drivers
- (Rear) Surround: Alpha Vari-Angled

The surrounds are likely the weakness of system, but there is no physical wall where the living room ends and the dining room begins. She insists on ceiling speakers as the only option for her.

BTW, Monoprice is working on THX in-ceiling speakers that are due out in Q1 of '23, as per an email inquiry to Hobie Sechrest. He didn't divulge any specs. Not sure if my relative has the patience to wait for them.

Edit: this is for 20'x30' room. Large TV on one of the 20' walls - TV size will likely be 84".

clipghost

My relative's remodel was delayed a bit. I'll be installing the following for her in a 5.1.4 system in December as she's hoping for deals over BF:
- Receiver: Denon x3800H
- Left, right: THX-365IW
- Center: THX-LCR
- Sub: SVS PC-2000 Pro (I'm trying to convince her to buy two). Sadly, the form factor of the 13" sub at Monoprice is not an option for her.
- Atmos: Alpha with 15 degree Angled Drivers
- (Rear) Surround: Alpha Vari-Angled

The surrounds are likely the weakness of system, but there is no physical wall where the living room ends and the dining room begins. She insists on ceiling speakers as the only option for her.

BTW, Monoprice is working on THX in-ceiling speakers that are due out in Q1 of '23, as per an email inquiry to Hobie Sechrest. He didn't divulge any specs. Not sure if my relative has the patience to wait for them.
Thank you for sharing all that.

So I have a semi-similar setup as in 5.1.4 and wanting to go Monoprice. I have another thread talking about it all here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...elp-for-5-1-4-setup-9-channel-receiver.38679/

Feel free to chime in there.

I guess my questions to you is, that THX-LCR as center has been told to me not to go with due to reflections for media center right in front. Any reason you are choosing it?

I am using the same receiver. Trying to decide is I should do front L/R 365IW or 465IW? Center it seems 365C may be best bet unless the THX-LCR can miraculously work for me as well.

The rear surrounds would be 365IW's...for the atmos in cieling speakr, thank you for letting me know Monoprice is working on it. Any idea on the sizing of it? 6"? 8"?

Would love to get whatever sizing is similar to be prepared for it.

quizzicus

Does anyone have a guess as to how the dispersion would compare on the THX-LCR, which appears to be the same speaker with the drivers rearranged?

Top Bottom