• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A spinorama and measurements

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great review
I wonder if the 8351B has a bigger soundstage or a less narrow one compared to 8341A

Without comparing the horizontal off axis curves side by side, I would expect the 8341 to have a slightly bigger soundstage, due to it using a 3/4" tweeter instead of a 1". Just a guess though.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I sincerely thought myself all set to get a new set of speakers... Then @napilopez had to write such a good review ... And now I am again re-thinking my previous positions ...
These speakers in my relatively small room + multiple subs and proper DSP ...would be endgame.

The weakness of The Ones(relative to similarly priced competitors) is the bass response, but with subs, I do think they are close to as good as it gets. One of their greatest strengths is (imo) their ability to produce a tight(horizontally and vertically) center image while still maintaining fairly wide dispersion. They somehow manage to image almost image as tightly as JTRs, while also throwing a soundstage not much narrower than the Revels.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, @napilopez, another fantastic review. Easily the best non NFS wielding objective reviewer there is(tbf Erin was there too before he got the NFS), and I enjoy your subjective commentary too as well. "Do nothing wrong" is the perfect way to describe speakers like this imo. I also appreciate how you integrate your subjective preferences for wider dispersion with the established science and let readers know where your personal preferences may differ.

I also agree with you that trying to improve on the neutrality of this speaker is well into diminishing returns. Outside of some revolution in the way we record and mix music, the only real way to improve upon something like this is with dispersion pattern control(D&D, Kii, B&O).

https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/bitstream...Kantamaa_Olli_2020.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

^ A fantastic thesis paper on the subjective preference effects of low frequency directivity control. Credit to @fluid for finding it.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beamwidth on them is about the same, so soundstage should be identical.

I don't know if it's a psychological thing but bigger speakers usually sound bigger to me

The 8351B does control directivity a hair lower and is a tiny bit narrower in the treble region according to Amir's measurements. Were talking like 1-2 dB, but I suspect it'd be audible if the speakers were positioned exactly the same.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, @napilopez, another fantastic review. Easily the best non NFS wielding objective reviewer there is(tbf Erin was there too before he got the NFS), and I enjoy your subjective commentary too as well. "Do nothing wrong" is the perfect way to describe speakers like this imo. I also appreciate how you integrate your subjective preferences for wider dispersion with the established science and let readers know where your personal preferences may differ.

I also agree with you that trying to improve on the neutrality of this speaker is well into diminishing returns. Outside of some revolution in the way we record and mix music, the only real way to improve upon something like this is with dispersion pattern control(D&D, Kii, B&O).

https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/bitstream...Kantamaa_Olli_2020.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

^ A fantastic thesis paper on the subjective preference effects of low frequency directivity control. Credit to @fluid for finding it.

Thank you! I just skimmed through it so far, but what an awesome paper, thank you for sharing. This has indeed been my anecdotal impression, and the conclusion about
I think if someone made an 8C with very wider directivity, it might be my dream speaker. In that case, it would make the directivity even more constant anyway, as the 8C does still have have a slight tilt off axis.

My concern has been that this might make the speaker sound bright, but according to this paper that's unlikely to be the case. I suspect that's simply because the off-axis response on this region is responsible for the sense of 'envelopment' and being in a specific space, per Toole's book, so controlling directivity in this region would yield a different sense of room characteristics rather than any detriment to the speaker's sound.

I'm excited to see more people take on directivity in the coming years. I'm finally getting myself an AES membership too so I can stay up to date with the research to come.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm going to sleep right now but I'll just quickly say that these 8341's are definitely something special.
I have never heard such crystal clear sound from ANY speaker I've ever heard!
My room is awkward with one of the speakers placed in a corner but the GLM kit has dealt with that better than any room correction software I've ever used including DIRAC, Anthem ARC and Audysey.

Oh and any concerns about SPL at 3 metres away are well and truly debunked. These beauties can play loud if required with zero hint of distortion.

Still tinkering and tweaking as I've got a lot to learn about how to get the best out of these.
I have to integrate 2 x subwoofers via a mindspSHD but that's worthy of a fresh thread I think.....

Genelec should be commended on their research, development and application. Well done Genelec!! :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm going to sleep right now but I'll just quickly say that these 8341's are definitely something special.
I have never heard such crystal clear sound from ANY speaker I've ever heard!
My room is awkward with one of the speakers placed in a corner but the GLM kit has dealt with that better than any room correction software I've ever used including DIRAC, Anthem ARC and Audysey.

Oh and any concerns about SPL at 3 metres away are well and truly debunked. These beauties can play loud if required with zero hint of distortion.

Still tinkering and tweaking as I've got a lot to learn about how to get the best out of these.
I have to integrate 2 x subwoofers via a mindspSHD but that's worthy of a fresh thread I think.....

Genelec should be commended on their research, development and application. Well done Genelec!! :)
Don't go to sleep, we need more impressions ;)
What speaekrs did u have before them that you're comparing them to?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If only they had grilles! That's one area where Neumann indisputably bests Genelec: KH80/120 have built in grilles, and KH310/420 at least have optional factory grilles. I would love to own some Ones, but I'm not going have a damn drive unit staring at me.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I just skimmed through it so far, but what an awesome paper, thank you for sharing. This has indeed been my anecdotal impression, and the conclusion about
I think if someone made an 8C with very wider directivity, it might be my dream speaker. In that case, it would make the directivity even more constant anyway, as the 8C does still have have a slight tilt off axis.

My concern has been that this might make the speaker sound bright, but according to this paper that's unlikely to be the case. I suspect that's simply because the off-axis response on this region is responsible for the sense of 'envelopment' and being in a specific space, per Toole's book, so controlling directivity in this region would yield a different sense of room characteristics rather than any detriment to the speaker's sound.

I'm excited to see more people take on directivity in the coming years. I'm finally getting myself an AES membership too so I can stay up to date with the research to come.
We need to do a "Go Fund Napilopez" to get you a Klippel.

markb

If only they had grilles! That's one area where Neumann indisputably bests Genelec: KH80/120 have built in grilles, and KH310/420 at least have optional factory grilles. I would love to own some Ones, but I'm not going have a damn drive unit staring at me.

That must be one of the main drawbacks of the Genelec Ones series compared to the regular 2-way 8xx0 series; the lack of grills. I’ve seen too many pictures of expensive speakers with drivers kicked in by toddlers, and in fact I’ve been very comfortable with my 8030s that survived that phase of my now 4 year old with barely a scratch. Mainly because of the grills and sturdy aluminium housing.

Found them toppled a few times. ;)

Also a reason why I like the Genelec subwoofers over many cheaper options, they are built like tanks.

YSC

Major Contributor
That must be one of the main drawbacks of the Genelec Ones series compared to the regular 2-way 8xx0 series; the lack of grills. I’ve seen too many pictures of expensive speakers with drivers kicked in by toddlers, and in fact I’ve been very comfortable with my 8030s that survived that phase of my now 4 year old with barely a scratch. Mainly because of the grills and sturdy aluminium housing.

Also a reason why I like the Genelec subwoofers over many cheaper options, they are built like tanks.
True, with the Genelec 80x0 it's very trouble free on any damage, though my home don't have any pets or kids and not planning to have any, but it still feels very assuring, the ones in really nearfield usage always makes me nervous in the rare accidents which could occur

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

True
But I guess you have to suffer to enjoy better sound ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Can anyone explain what are those black circles around the tweeter?
Are they both waveguides?
Screenshot_20210630-185918__01.jpg
FB_IMG_1624643612547.jpg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
that's a nasty damaged mid driver! that black thing around the tweeter should be the mini waveguide
Other than the mid driver there are 2 smaller black circles around the tweeter( in my photo with the numbers)

Top Bottom