• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
For the Salon 2 comparison, it would be interesting to hear this Genelec matched with the W371 woofer system. I believe that would push them into around the same price class.

Can someone please send a system to Amir, along with a forklift?

I listened to the REVEL 328 Be, as well as the 8361A + W371A combo in two different acoustically treated sites.
328BE is supposed to have a better tweeter than Salon 2.
However, I was personally more impressed by the impact of the W371A in the low frequencies, than the better performance of the 328BE medium/tweeters.
However, the listening conditions were different and the bass of SALON 2 are more famous.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My audiophile mind keep glancing at my wallet. my rationale mind is focused on the JBL 708p + SVS Subs ... I thin kmy wallet would thank

This said , an Apple to Apple comparison, that should be done with the a pair of Genelec W371A + 8351 + GLM and whatever System drives the Salon 2 ... I don't care much about the notion of price point but we would then talk about two systems with similar price and performance characteristics... The Salon 2 is (was?) $22,000 ... amplifier to drive it nicely would put you at least at $24,000 ... You would need a DAC and you wouldn't have PEQ/DRC. OTOH the GLM is rather inexpensive at $300 ...

That is the kind of comparison I would like to see with measurements.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am wondering if the High-SPL limitations of the Genelec studio monitor's (8341, 8351) can be countered by using the "Complimentary mode".

Since the speaker's would be in a 5-way speaker allocation, it should take the stress off of the hidden woofer's of the 8341/8351's.

The "Complimentary mode" as mentioned by a member in the following comment.

What a great webinar. I would definitely recommend a watch for anyone who's interested in the W371. Watching that made me want them more, though I do still have some questions.

In the video, it's seemed like they kinda preferred the "Complimentary Mode". That mode turns the Ones into a 5 way speaker, which is kinda like trying to replicate the results you could get by running 8351 + Mid bass modules + multisub. If you're wanting to run these full range(like @Frank Dernie), this mode seems like the best(though being able to try the other 4 is a huge plus). I was skeptical of this mode based on how close the woofers are together, but man do they get some good results.

View attachment 129601

Other than the deep bass extension, that's as good as my 4 RS2 response below 100Hz, and better from 100-250Hz :oops:. I do wonder how "golden" this example is, though. I'm guessing it won't get results that excellent in most rooms, and I'd be very interested in seeing other examples.

Interesting that they ran the 8351b in the upright orientation. They actually posted a comparable beamwidth graph so that we can better compare. Unless you the crossover can do some magic, it does appear that the upright orientation will have a bulge in directivity around the crossover.

View attachment 129602

Still excellent, but it seems to me that you have to lay the 8351 on it's side to have true constant directivity with no bulge. That said, the crossover will no doubt iron out most of that difference (as @q3cpma pointed out).

@Purité Audio , if you can, one thing I'd like you to compare is the subjective difference between the complimentary mode and the cardioid modes(other 4). The complimentary mode seems to be the best in terms of getting the best in room response, but I wonder if there's some magic in controlling directivity in that 100-500Hz range. @fluid 's example seems to suggest there is. The complimentary mode loses the cardioid dispersion, but does so to improve the in room response. I'm curious about the subjective tradeoff there.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. This is definitely worthy of the hall of fame. Entirely subjective, but I find this visually attractive in its own way. It wouldn't work with my decor though.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my room size is similar from the listening area but bit extended to dining on one end. my listening distance is 11'. Did you try non GLM subs with 8351 in your room?

No, I had GLM so I just went the easy route. If I already had subs I would have tried but I don't know if I could have matched the integration GLM did, someone who is better using REW or other solution probably could.

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
Hi

My audiophile mind keep glancing at my wallet. my rationale mind is focused on the JBL 708p + SVS Subs ... I thin kmy wallet would thank

This said , an Apple to Apple comparison, that should be done with the a pair of Genelec W371A + 8351 + GLM and whatever System drives the Salon 2 ... I don't care much about the notion of price point but we would then talk about two systems with similar price and performance characteristics... The Salon 2 is (was?) $22,000 ... amplifier to drive it nicely would put you at least at $24,000 ... You would need a DAC and you wouldn't have PEQ/DRC. OTOH the GLM is rather inexpensive at $300 ...

That is the kind of comparison I would like to see with measurements.

SALON 2 is no longer available on the market. At least in Europe.
In my opinion, the only rational comparison today should be between 328BE- PURIFI / AHB2-DIRAC or similar and W371A + 8351B

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
SALON 2 is no longer available on the market. At least in Europe.
In my opinion, the only rational comparison today should be between 328BE- PURIFI / AHB2-DIRAC or similar and W371A + 8351B

Add if you want the best additional subwoofer to the 328BE for the price difference between the two solutions

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
GLM doesn't cost $300, the premium for GLM subs is baked into the subs and is very high relative to their performance.

Also, GLM's sub integration is pretty rudimentary and not really suitable for a multi-sub home theatre system IMO.

Not just their subs if we look at it like that... The cost is baked into everything they sell besides the 80xx series. I adjust the bass manually on my system so having to level match isn't a stretch, though I would like them to be able to measure multiple sub's together as well as separate. Thankfully that seems like a possibility with their software in the future.

Price to performance wise the subs are expensive if you don't get them used, but one or two $1000 Rythmiks end up at $5000-$6000 after buying a DLBC unit for them, and it looks like there are currently no well engineered units without issues.

Hopefully soon Dirac makes something the size of a GLM box with an eight channel XLR or AES connector for $300 and a $400 license.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there much point for a 104dB test? It will just measure (a lot more) worse than the 94dB test.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you AMIR for this test of my future speaker (combined with W371A). I think you have already stated this in other posts, but could you precise your listening distance?
I have forgotten what it measured at. Wild guess would be about 15 feet.

kimmosto

I suppose you know, but Genelec gives it in its manuals (for recent models).

I know, but the latest firmware or GLM updates could have some changes for that. For example 8361 has phase linearisation stage but it was not enabled in A version. So manual could have outdated information about excess GD.

Another view to the same feature would be step response and/or impulse response envelope (ETC).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i have a question, why only 86 and 96dB test? and not 104 114dB like the kefs
ty
Erring on the side of caution and compatibility with widest set of speakers I test.

Top Bottom